First viewing of a vitesse.

Russ Rockett

I got to see this one today, the first vitesse I've driven and now have loads of questions.

http://www.pioneer-automobiles.co.uk/Triumph_Vitesse_Convertible_di.html

First impressions, it didn't look to bad from a distance. 

Closer, fresh paintwork, been sprayed red, was white.

Filler in the doors starting to bubble.

Same around the bottom of the windscreen and rear wing tops.

Took it for a drive and I didn't enjoy that, suspension was almost solid, a real boneshaker. Is this normal?

Mechanics seemed okay, brakes, engine, gearbox, overdrive etc but very close ratio.

By 30mph I could use 4od. Is that normal?

It had a small steering wheel and that made the car heavy to drive and very pointy.

Is all this normal for a vitesse or have I just looked at a poor one?

Thanks in advance. 

Russ 

Just now, Russ Rockett said:

Is all this normal for a vitesse or have I just looked at a poor one?

You need to compare; find a Club member with a good version and see how that goes, in comparison. The suspension may have been uprated to hard polybushes, maybe adjustable suspension set too high, or just seized.

I used O/d regularly on third at about 30mph, never tried it in 4th at that speed except by accident but the 6-cylinder engine will still pull away if need be. A small wheel will really make the steering heavy; the original is much lighter but can be too large for some drivers' legs. Having said that, it's adjustable upwards if need be, but not a simply DIY job as the collapsable joint requires careful resetting.

I'd worry that one is a simple red blowover respray to tart the car up and make it look more presentable, especially with the amount of noticeable filler and rust that you've spotted.

That one came up on another club's forum recently. It's not a good example. The engine's been changed to a 2.5 and, by the sound of your experience, they haven't made the necessary gearing changes. And being "performance freaks" they've probably gone for the rock-solid suspension in the mistaken belief that it's a "performance enhancement".

As Colin says, find a local club member with a proper, standard Vitesse to compare against.

some fit adjustable shocks and the ride is like a brick  set to the min setting is about as good as they get..all pretty  pointless

small steering wheels make a heavy parker very heavy  a small wheel does not give the input efforts to be comfy and  two shreaded wheat rules apply 

any bubbles means filler that getting wet from within  that sounds most undesirable  and shiny paint covering  a multitude of £££££S underneath

all 6 pots are a bit of a ground anchor for parking but nimble on the road  tyres and pressures all contribute 

a small wheel /wide tyres/ low PSI and you have a headache at low speeds 

gear ratios for the gearbox /OD are all pretty std for the 6 pot ranges , the diff final drive ratio can change  but agree they will pull smoothly from 30 in top 

so i would avoid this and seek better 

dont buy the first car you view  its as bad as buying a car in the dark when its raining ....next day    OMG !!!

Pete

Yes to everything said so far.

And I have a slightly smaller steering wheel, an inch less than standard, it does make stationary turning  heavy, I wouldn't go less than an inch. However, it shouldn't be heavy at speed which suggests something wrong with the front suspension geometry.

Doug

I drive a Mk1 2L Vitesse and would say the ride is comfortable, seems a lot of gaffa tape repairs to seats etc. and if a Herald rack, fewer turns lock to lock sometimes sold as an upgrade as a quick rack, has been fitted will as previously said make parking an effort.

Regards

Paul.

Clearly a dent in the passenger door which has not been fixed prior to paint and far too many wavy panels. Looks to me like a quick fill and blow over to sell. If they have photos of the work done, then take a look if not I would walk away. The body is the most important part mechanics are pretty simple