A new record price for a GT6!

avivalasvegas

I think it went for £36 k plus premium  -£40k.  I had a look at it.  Looked good but I wouldn’t have guessed it was any better than other nice ones I have seen.  The doors didn’t shut properly. I can’t understand why people pay so much for classic cars.  Surely they dare not drive them .  In my limited experience ones that look good drive like pigs and vice versa.   Non standard seats and I prefer the originals. Just can’t see why if cost £97k to restore.  Not sure if non standard engine but did have a full roll cage.  In a non rally /race car not sure if that’s a good thing or not.  

Bob

26 minutes ago, Bob Horner said:

I can’t understand why people pay so much for classic cars.  Surely they dare not drive them

There are certainly instances of that. My Vitesse cost so much to restore (in 1990) that the then owner locked it in his garage and didn't dare use it for three years, after which he decided to cut his losses and sold it (to the partner of the restorer) for a quarter of the restoration cost. The new owner used it as daily transport, commuting from Brackley to Oxford, parking on the street because they didn't have a drive let alone a garage. By the time I bought it from her, in 2003, it was "tidy but well used", which suited me fine.

I think I prefer my slightly scruffy £15K (for insurance purposes) GT6 to that one. Sure it's nowhere near as pretty but I have no qualms about jumping in it on a damp day and going for a drive down some muddy country lanes.

Well, I hope the new owner enjoys it, regardless of the final price. I certainly hope it turns out to be worth the money; I don't mean when he starts to drive it, which is always beyond price, but I really do hope there's nothing wrong with it that incurs extra expense...  you know that moment, when you bring it to a show, and you're all proud, and then other owners start to shake their heads and mutter 'oh dear'... ? 

• Haha 1

I have a GT6 MK2 in the same Damson colour, also restored. I drive it several times a week in Central London without hesitation. It will always receive the best care, will never see the snow and will always be garaged. That said, I can't think of any Triumph as a garage queen. Just not what they were meant to be. 

and silly values command very high insurance costs  as the Insurance Co has to accept the risk they are taking 

I know Bern has to await the underwriters to accept anything over  £15k   as agreed valuations that  we undertake for members 

so getting silly prices  is not always a good thing in the long run for an owner 

fully agree a cars is to be used not just parked up in the hope of being an investment 

if you have £40k to blow  buy a good one at 20k  gives you £20k for fuel   now thats more sensible 

Pete