LPG

Wagger

This is a serious, for once, question.

If cows produce methane, which is a problem, due to eating grass etc, and their digestion system is suited for eating vegetation. What will be the outcome, if humans all become vegetarians? I know what the outcome is like when eating sprouts or cabbage. Have there been any serious studies on the gaseous outcome of vegetarianism?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

This is a serious, for once, question.

If cows produce methane, which is a problem, due to eating grass etc, and their digestion system is suited for eating vegetation. What will be the outcome, if humans all become vegetarians? I know what the outcome is like when eating sprouts or cabbage. Have there been any serious studies on the gaseous outcome of vegetarianism?

The methane that cows (ruminants) produce comes mainly from the mouth. Partly digested food fermenting in their bio-digester.

Once deeper inside towards the smelly end the methane reduces.

Humans are not ruminants and so do not burp up gases in any significant volume.

Roger

1 hour ago, Wagger said:

When I worked for a gas detection manufacturer, a small proportion of the workforce were found to breathe out tiny quantities of methane. Apparently, due to a different digestion trait,

I understand it happens with those who have what is called Hiatus Hernia.?

44 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

The councils will supply a bin for it and it will be collected every two weeks.

Brown? Of course?. 😁

Getting back to whether I should pursue a conversion, motorhomes and caravans could have those 'Gaslow' tanks installed to fill from the LPG stations. It may still be a current mod. That's cheaper than bottled gas. Does anyone know how to convert using SU's? Would the float needles withstand Liquid LPG? I would have to turn back to petrol before stopping the engine.

If not, what is possible?

Don't really want to take on my son's bi-fuel Blazer!

15 minutes ago, Wagger said:

Getting back to whether I should pursue a conversion, motorhomes and caravans could have those 'Gaslow' tanks installed to fill from the LPG stations. It may still be a current mod. That's cheaper than bottled gas. Does anyone know how to convert using SU's? Would the float needles withstand Liquid LPG? I would have to turn back to petrol before stopping the engine.

Bit of a Link here that may help?:- http://www.lpgc.co.uk/index_files/TypesofLPGsystems.htm

Thanks Pete for the link. For my annual mileage it is not worth pursuing unless I find a bi-fuel car.

For Paulfc, yup, we have a Brown Bin. It costs £50 per annum, but we make sure that we fill it, Saves an 8 mile return trip to the dump. Since moving last April, everything discarded has gone out in charity bags or one of the three bins. I have not yet had to visit the 'Dump'. They have a sho there when yu can by stuff back, (That is why I stay away).

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wagger said:

The LPG is converted to a gas from a liquid via a reducer (2nd photo). The gas is then fed to mixer plates at the carbs. So no liquid at carbs. The volume of gas is adjusted at the reducer to suit the engine. So no adjustments at the carbs. 

I had special mixer plates for the SU's and had to drill suitable mounting holes for the air filter bolts in the plates. The plates blocked off the air vents to the carbs, so I drilled relief holes. You can see the plate in the 1st photo.

I have a 30 litre gas tank feeding via a solenoid to the reducer, a dash mounted switch / gauge selects petrol or LPG (another solenoid in the petrol line). The reducer needs a hot water supply to work efficiently, so extra plumbing needed. 

I always turned back to petrol when parking up, unless I was restarting with a warm engine. 

_IGP0018.JPG

_IGP0106.JPG

_IGP0037.JPG