Spitfire 1500 - Re-Living My Youth (RLMY)

• 2 weeks later...

So I decided to have a go at repairing the rust in the front valance instead of buying a new one - my welding skills would not have been up to this 8 months ago - I’m quite pleased with the results - a bit of P38 and it will look perfect 🙂

image.thumb.jpg.05a8d31baa30d210313c0e05d9146471.jpg

Also finished painting the underside of the car - seam sealer and black paint do a good job of hiding my welding 🙂 3D0B806C-A874-4DA4-9FCA-E7DDCAE03219.thumb.jpeg.f8185aaa86b0abba0242813aff43edf6.jpeg

Now on with the engine and gearbox assembly.

• Like 3

remember most of the labour used in car production of the day were all unskilled  a few semi skilled as back up  so whilst the process was controlled 

to assemble a sequence of operations and tooling to aid the control of such  means all the jobs can be done by a novice with a learning curve you can be proud of

Pete

Hoping to compete the engine rebuilt and paint the inside of the tub this week - I’ve also almost completed the renovation of the front valance (pic to follow).

Chap coming to quote on respray on Saturday ! 

Now the timing chain cover bolt holes have been helicoiled (what a great idea) I can complete all that front end of the engine.

Clutch is almost on - just need the 1/4 Allen key from eBay (why use Allen bolts !!)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pettifordo said:

(why use Allen bolts !!)

Normally because they're more compact. The head is a fraction smaller than a hex and doesn't need space around it for the spanner. The 1500 clutch seems to be designed to get maximum clutch into minimum outer radius, despite there being a ton of extra space available around it. Mind you, that space is of limited height because of the carry-over bell housing.

15 hours ago, AlanT said:

well known dismantler in Tavistock…

Is it a big job to do the conversion and are the bits expensive ? I have steered away from it as I have enough on just getting everything back together and I don’t plan to keep the car once finished…….or I wasn’t 🙂

Who is the company ?

The engine hoist is a friends.

@mathew Yes, it’s Steve. I’ve found him very helpful as both a seller and buyer. Popped in a while back to pick up my old twin pipes.

@PettifordoI bought secondhand and, aside from cleaning filters, changing oil and rebuilding the solenoid (all easy if the stuff if the box is out) it’s been perfect.
You could swap in after you’ve finished your rebuild (got a lot to strip out again though). But overdrive may be a waste of your cash and time if you’re only doing local jaunts. 

It’s not a big job to do an overdrive conversion (especially with a bare chassis!) but yes relatively expensive. If you’re planning on doing any longer high speed journeys though I would consider it. Even in its dubious pre resto state my overdrive Spit was considerably more relaxing to drive on a motorway than the Herald!

I would say now in many cases it has got prohibitively expensive. These gearboxes were never strong so by now any secondhand unit realistically needs a strip, overhaul and rebuild before installation which if you cant do youself could be heading for 2k+ depending on what is found. This is on top of the purchase price which keeps on going up as overdrive gearboxes become harder to find so all in all a large investment for something which is no more than nice to have. I reckon youre best off changing your diff ratio or avoiding motorways...

4 minutes ago, johny said:

I would say now in many cases it has got prohibitively expensive. These gearboxes were never strong so by now any secondhand unit realistically needs a strip, overhaul and rebuild before installation which if you cant do youself could be heading for 2k+ depending on what is found. This is on top of the purchase price which keeps on going up as overdrive gearboxes become harder to find so all in all a large investment for something which is no more than nice to have. I reckon youre best off changing your diff ratio or avoiding motorways...

Possibly…but mine cost me £10 to change a few ‘o’ rings and it’s perfect! 

Good News - Body and Bonnet on

07613927-7B28-4953-AC56-A149650A2A4A.thumb.jpeg.f03342f13953487e13b73dd86f0141ff.jpeg

Bad news - I now realIse how much more work I have to do !!

I’m really pleased that after all the welding that the chassis mounting points lined up. Bracing and measuring paid off and it was also a good idea to have not welded the front of the floor so that gave me 5-6mm to tweak the fitting.

Still can’t find someone to spray the car from my local connections - if anyone has someone to recommend within a hour of Warwick that would be helpful - I’m looking for an OK job not perfection -

I had one chap round and he wanted to make it perfect and he also wanted £4.5k !!

• Like 2

The original colour was Vermilion Red (the very orange one).

I was going to try to go back to that but I’m now thinking BRG might be good and it might mean less prep. 

The body work is in pretty good condition having (I think) been done when it was resprayed before - all my work has been on the floor / inner sills / A-posts etc

I think I still have quite a bit of dust and crap to deal with (sanding it down etc).

Anyway at least it fits !!