Spitfire 1500 - Re-Living My Youth (RLMY)

When I brought my Spitfire it had a full history with it.  One rainy day I decided to add up what the previous owners had spent on it, truely eye watering 21k between 1999 and 2009 (which included a full restoration to concurs), than another 9.5k  and I've spent just over 1k total 31.5k this is not a cheap hobby, but good fun.  You certainly don't make money restoring classics.

2 hours ago, AlanT said:

But it’s fun

Yea I really enjoy it - and as you say I know what I have now.

The feeling of achievement - when the car chassis first stood on wheels, the time the tub fitted, the first fire of the engine and of course the time the windscreen fitted 👍👍👍

13 minutes ago, Pettifordo said:

then swapped the LED bulb for a classic one and it all came to life

Did you have LEDs in both oil and brake, or just one?

If both, I'm not completely surprised they didn't work as I discovered the LED sidelights on my Vitesse do nothing if the battery is down to 9V (as it was when low on charge and running the headlights). There's no real reason for an internal one to be like that - it's a result of having several LEDs in series, I think - but it could be the case.

If only one, I'd have expected the LED one to work but the filament one not to. They're in series and the LED won't draw enough current to heat up the filament one.

The front brakes now work - I had put a pad on the brake pedal as the brake lights were always on as the brake pedal isn’t come high enough to switch it off - seems like my “fix” was too large a pad and was preventing the master cylinder for releasing pressure - doh

So now my brake lights are always on but the brakes work - just need a thinner pad it think.

@Josef - noted on the ignition - I will swap it back to be on the safe side.

• Like 1

So I think the wiper blades might be the last thing I needed to make the car road legal (or at least legal enough to get to the MOT station 😥😥😥)

C02D113D-EFCB-4EAC-8112-74F4D2277680.thumb.jpeg.d98c0733c76741f9f85cec8ef52606e2.jpeg

I also found this website backed by Admiral which offers insurance by the hour and would quote on the Spitfire (others like this wouldn’t cover it) - https://quote.veygo.com/start

So I can even go with insurance….so MOT will be planned for after the classic car show when I plan to get halogen headlights.

Thanks to @Josef for fixing the tacho

03F9CC8E-8EB8-408D-8B83-F7882FFD681E.thumb.jpeg.7665d78a575f448d671ac5448ee10eb1.jpeg

works like a dream - but didn’t try to get to 6000 rpm !!

Exhaust blowing at a joint (not the one I welded up) 👍 I’ve applied some Joint sealer - will see if that fixes or if in need to take off and “tweak” 😩

Finally some exterior trim on the car which was supplied by Dave at the Spitfire Graveyard

B2404E65-B338-47D5-93D1-B5EF326EEA23.thumb.jpeg.c1a3ec77eb3c3638d02ed59bc83a439e.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Took the car to get it MOT’d and it failed on a number of small things - which I hope to get fixed before my 10 days expires…..one of them was the headlights being adjusted too low - does any one know where I can find out how high they need to be ?

All being well I hope to be bring it to the club on the 4th Dec……

I hope to see some of the people that helped me to get it on the road - I couldn’t have done it without this forum.

24 minutes ago, Pettifordo said:

does any one know where I can find out how high they need to be ?

The tolerance band is pretty wide. I can't say I've ever had one fail on "too low", despite frequently thinking my main beams were dipped. I had one failed (once, many years ago) for aim too high, but that was a Vitesse inner and it was illuminating the tree tops.

Find a nice level parking area with a wall. Park up about four car lengths from the wall, facing it. On dip, you should just be lighting up the bottom of the wall. On main, the centre of your beam should be at headlight height.

• Like 3

For the chapter and verse on this see;

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/4-lamps-reflectors-and-electrical-equipment#section-4-1-2

But (in the absence of special test equipment) it adds up to the same as Non-Member's method as above.

MoT garages always used to adjust headlights for free. As long as adjusters were accessable.

One place just used their hand to wallop the headlight in the right place and get it move in the plastic adjuster. He always got it right too.

Haven't had a fail in years on headlights. But I use the garage door, and check the beams are pointing down a little. And sort of straight ahead. 

the dip cut off used to  be 6" down at 10 yds   which i guess  is now 150mm down at 10 metres 

or 75mm  down at 5 mtrs if you have a short driveway  

so just measure the height of the lamp centre and witha flat drive ??  mark the door or wall 57mm lower and set the car straight 5 mts away 

set the beam flat top cut off to align the mark   make markers for lamp width to get the Dip beam leftwards 3" left of centre 

Pete

So MOT was still a fail on the following :-

1) Headlamps too low (I have the “up” as far as I can - will need to remove the outer part to see what can be done to angle them further up)

2) Too much CO2 (My efforts to reduce the fuel mix and replace the air filter made the reading worse ! Was 4.5 now 5.5, should be lower than 3.5 !)

3) Too much movement in handbrake (but it passed the test to hold the car)

So the good news is that all the “structural / safety” parts are now ok.

So I was planning to bring to the the club on Sunday and hopefully get some advice on fixing 1,2 and 3 but I just took it out to the local village and on the way back I’m getting a knocking from the rear end 😞

I really hope that it is just some bolts that have come loose and not the UJs on the drive shafts (replaced by me) or the UJ on the drive shaft……will only know tomorrow once I can get under her.

I shall probably come to the club anyway

5C72038B-5431-45FA-92DB-611CB4262CEA.thumb.jpeg.7e888c21536fdd593e7300e976b8093f.jpeg72E9F8BD-9FDD-412F-B7C5-0DB75A1B54B5.thumb.jpeg.8f906321d43efe86b1a3858e9d8029ee.jpeg