Spitfire 1500 - Re-Living My Youth (RLMY)

57 minutes ago, Pettifordo said:

So MOT was still a fail on the following :-

1) Headlamps too low (I have the “up” as far as I can - will need to remove the outer part to see what can be done to angle them further up)

2) Too much CO2 (My efforts to reduce the fuel mix and replace the air filter made the reading worse ! Was 4.5 now 5.5, should be lower than 3.5 !)

3) Too much movement in handbrake (but it passed the test to hold the car)

So the good news is that all the “structural / safety” parts are now ok.

So I was planning to bring to the the club on Sunday and hopefully get some advice on fixing 1,2 and 3 but I just took it out to the local village and on the way back I’m getting a knocking from the rear end 😞

I really hope that it is just some bolts that have come loose and not the UJs on the drive shafts (replaced by me) or the UJ on the drive shaft……will only know tomorrow once I can get under her.

I shall probably come to the club anyway

5C72038B-5431-45FA-92DB-611CB4262CEA.thumb.jpeg.7e888c21536fdd593e7300e976b8093f.jpeg72E9F8BD-9FDD-412F-B7C5-0DB75A1B54B5.thumb.jpeg.8f906321d43efe86b1a3858e9d8029ee.jpeg

Hi Which club are you going to?

52 minutes ago, Pettifordo said:

Was 4.5 now 5.5, should be lower than 3.5 !

Errrr...I'm sure I have to be wrong about this but.....

For a pre 1986 car isn't 4.5% CO(monoxide) a pass? Pre-1975 is just visual inspection, 1975 to 1986 is 4.5% and 3.5% applies to post 1986 up to CATs. I think. Maybe.

Can anyone confirm/deny the above?

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

Those limits sound right to me, too, but they may be the original ones and they may have been tightened? Or the 3.5 extended back to 1982, prior to which the car doesn't need an MOT.

My dolomite recently passed the MoT. The emissions were, ahem, a tad higher than they should have been, but I guess the tester was feeling generous. However, it would seem a good idea to drop the emissions test for 40+ year old vehicles, as it discourgages people takingthem for an MoT

(And I think I have found the cause of my high emissions, just waiting for some bits)

So the knocking from the rear end was one of the new UJ.

The circlip on just one of the joints had come out and the cap had worked out about 5mm - but the circlip was still there 👍👍👍

Amazing such a small thing could make such a racket !!

I’ve knocked it back in and pushed the circlip back in but it isn’t seating as well as I would like - will take it out tomorrow and make sure everything is clean and pop it back.

E16BB4B7-A38F-4C0F-B28F-FBC6118A5325.thumb.jpeg.e39373c1a683288cea7ea7c41f62fbc0.jpeg

But this photo is after a 2 mile “test drive”

I might make it to the club on Sunday after all.

there are a good few Tee shirts for circlips popping out down the road  even when you know they have to be fully Fully seated 

if it breakes looseand the cap escapes   its not a knock its one hell of a din 

its worth measure the width between  the plier holes to compare all the circlips are where they should be 

Pete

48 minutes ago, Steve P said:

If the cup moved that much and the circlip won`t seat, you need to check you haven`t got a stray roller from the bearing under the cup.

Yes I’m worried about that - I didn’t have time at lunch to get it back out - I think I will start by removing and making sure the grove is clear of c***

When I fitted them I had a roller problem and it is definitely going in further than in did then so 🤞🤞🤞

Taking it off would be a massive pain 😩😩😩😩

Circlips are notorious for taking a "set". it could be that a replacement circlip is what is needed?.

I have Expanded them again, in exceptional circumstances, but it`s not a general recomendation, Safer to replace.

Pete

19 hours ago, PeteH said:

Circlips are notorious for taking a "set"

They were new with the new UJ so they shouldn't have "set" too much.

My plan today is to

• Remove all the ones that are not seated well
  • Clean out the grove
  • Add some WD40
  • Pop back in 
  • Hit with a large hammer

They lasted for 30 miles the first time so with the club being 32 miles from my house - wish me luck !

15 minutes ago, Pettifordo said:

They were new with the new UJ so they shouldn't have "set" too much.

My plan today is to

• Remove all the ones that are not seated well
  • Clean out the grove
  • Add some WD40
  • Pop back in 
  • Hit with a large hammer

They lasted for 30 miles the first time so with the club being 32 miles from my house - wish me luck !

WD40, are you trying to help it come out again ?

circlips and grooves need to be a well defined square edge   i wouldnt file anything these clips need to be a good firm fit in a well defined  groove 

there are circlips of various thickness available from some suppliers    generally thicker are to cure float/knock  there are no Thinner  ones .

Pete

41 minutes ago, alan.gilbert_6384 said:

WD40, are you trying to help it come out again ?

The idea was to clear out any c*** and also lube up the channel so it fits home well....but now you mention it this might not be such a good plan........perhaps I will just skip to the last part and hit it hard 🙂