Triumph GT6 bonnet locking pin

avivalasvegas

1 hour ago, avivalasvegas said:

Sorry, I didn’t mean an actual lock but rather just a metal clip that fits through the hole in the latch

I think you mean the aftermarket catch locks that go behind the 'M'-logo bonnet catches and stop them from flipping out? Apologies, I've no idea what size they need but any good hardware shop should be able to supply split pins or suitable clips; I'll keep looking for the details and will update if I find any. I did manage to find a photo, tho... :)

DSCF3824.thumb.JPG.42541d06dc4682e12fc34fc68a3ca263.JPG

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

stop them from flipping out?

One of my cars used to suffer from that (I've rebuilt both front wings so I don't know whether it still will) but one of them suffers the opposite. The lever jams shut and needs a crow bar to release it (well, OK, a decent length screwdriver rather than a full three footer but...)

12 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Seem a thing of the past where I live, unfortunately.

True in a lot of places, but I've still got three or four within driving distance, although two of them now have outdoor tables where you talk to staff who bring the items out, rather than browsing through all the tubs and bins. (which is usually expensive as you find things you never knew you could get.) We're going backwards here, most of the B&Q branches are gone, as are Budget DIY and even a lot of the Homebase stores too. 

the locks suffer from roller seizure the small roller that runs on the cam  of the hook  this wears the cam and the overcentre action... doesnt 

you can drill out the roller rivets , free and clean up even reprofile the cam a bit re assy with bolts and nuts works 

as does having good tension on the runner  cones and the hooks   etc 

if the small  roller has a good flat on it its pretty well stuffed unless you make a new one 

Pete

19 hours ago, NonMember said:

One of my cars used to suffer from that (I've rebuilt both front wings so I don't know whether it still will) but one of them suffers the opposite. The lever jams shut and needs a crow bar to release it (well, OK, a decent length screwdriver rather than a full three footer but...)

My current roadworthy Herald too, you have to slap the bonnet just at the top outer edge and it springs open, otherwise it won't shift. 

On 11/12/2021 at 15:10, Colin Lindsay said:

I think you mean the aftermarket catch locks that go behind the 'M'-logo bonnet catches and stop them from flipping out? Apologies, I've no idea what size they need but any good hardware shop should be able to supply split pins or suitable clips; I'll keep looking for the details and will update if I find any. I did manage to find a photo, tho... :)

DSCF3824.thumb.JPG.42541d06dc4682e12fc34fc68a3ca263.JPG

I’m not sure it goes behind the M. Rather, it slides through the two holes on either side of the M, locking it in place and preventing it from flipping out. I’m struggling to find the correct size…

14 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

I’m not sure it goes behind the M. Rather, it slides through the two holes on either side of the M, locking it in place and preventing it from flipping out. I’m struggling to find the correct size…

Apologies, the only set I've seen in the flesh (and I've a photo somewhere) went behind the M, as in the photo I posted. The lever fitted into the clip and the pin then slid across the front holding the lever down. I didn't realise there were sets that went through in behind. I'll keep looking.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...