Towing

HI 

Ive used my Stag to tow caravans in the 31 years Ive owned it . I modified the back suspension by having coil springs made that were a bit stiffer and also rear shockers with spring adjusters from the now defunct Jigsaw racing, This has all helped with the handling of the car when towing . I used to drive trucks abroad and now take the Stag to places I saw in the truck but could not stop . Remember those days when we could meet up at European classic car meets .

Is there anyone on here who tows with a big saloon and what mods have they carried out . The Stag makes a good tow car and Im sure the saloon will too.

If this picture attaches this is is my Stag and 1974 Viking Fibreline Caravan on the Dutch A7 with the Ijsselmeer on one side and the North Sea on the other , The road is built on a Dyke we were heading to the International Spitfire weekend in the Netherlands 

Happy Christmas 

EV

stag and caravan.jpg

Edited by European Voyager
missing words
  • Like 1

my 2000mk2 has a tow bar when i bought her  there were (now removed ) a set of around 10mm thick steel  spring pads to raise the tail 

in a box somewhere in case they become useful 

Im sure the camber brackets were also changed to suit the raised  ride height as without them the camber can go  a bit extra negative when loaded now she is lowered to std .

Pete

I remember the negative camber , You could feel the drive shafts bottoming out sometimes under certain conditions . My friend suggested estate coil springs but I think i might get the PI weighed and ask him to give me a reading to have springs made to suit . He races MGs and is used to setting suspensions . I keep his truck on the road for him 

EV

I fitted individually controlled airshocks to the rear of my Mk1 2.5PI Estate.
By this I mean each shock had its own schrader valve.
This meant I could set each shock for side load and when individually loaded one would not pump air into the other and great for towing.
Another option I fitted the rear of my 300TDi Discovery was airbags in the springs though I doubt they are available for the small Triumph springs.

41 minutes ago, ahebron said:

This meant I could set each shock for side load and when individually loaded one would not pump air into the other and great for towing.
Another option I fitted the rear of my 300TDi Discovery was airbags in the springs though I doubt they are available for the small Triumph springs.

Our old Opel Record estate had that system. great for the rather heavy horse trailer that we had back then.

Hi Peter

I have never understood fitting airshocks to the Spitfires. 
I gather the Americans are into it but to me it just seems odd.
I have always though of them as a cheap solution when towing or carrying heavy loads but not something for sportscars.

But I am willing to be educated in what it will achieve. 
Mind you my Mk2 Vitesse that has the original motor in the boot (2500 under the bonnet) could probably do with a set, but not the way the idiot mechanic fitted the telescopics by bolting them through the floor. Luckily the car needs a full restoration so the cracks and holes will be repaired.

• 2 months later...

I tow a Freedom Caravan with my 1500 Triumph Spotfire without issue nice steady 55mph all day but no faster happily copes in overdrive unless a hill appears on the horizon. Really steep hills in the Peak district though call for second gear and just a steady climb. Fuel economy dips to about 28mpg I have noticed.

On 26/12/2021 at 10:25, ahebron said:

I have never understood fitting airshocks to the Spitfires. 
I gather the Americans are into it but to me it just seems odd.

People fit Monroe Max-Air's to Spits to avoid a saggy bottom. Here's my old blue Spit.

watling_on_old_spit.jpg

So I fitted them to my current Spit. Unfortunately one of my Max-Air's failed after a few years - Monroe quality or bad luck?

Another air-adjustable shock for Spit rear ends is Gabriel "Hijackers" 49304 which I haven't tried.

On 26/12/2021 at 08:19, ahebron said:

Do you recall which manufacturer these shocks were?

Cheers, Richard