Cracked pushrod

wimpus

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

glad you spotted that  

its done its bit  

no idea if new are better or not  but a thought.............. these bed into the follower so that may have some damage inside its mating surface 

Pete

Will have a look at no1 cam follower.

But as im rebuilding the engine fully it will be renewed anyway.

20 minutes ago, Ian Smith said:

I would suggest swopping them out.  As Pete has said, if you suspect damage to the camshaft, check it over, and, if you have doubts or evidence, then change it also. And, not forgetting, tappets as well.

It's better to be on your safe side. 

As i pointed out.. 

It will all be replaced.

Got a canley 25/65/1 (mk3 for 1500)camshaft to go in.

New followers (ofcourse).

Etc

34 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Wimpus,

Is that a tubular push rod?   There seems to be a joint below the head, and that the head has belled the end of the tube.   Is this rod shorter than the others?  Are they all the same length? 

John

All are the same length, did check that to last night.

It does make you wonder how many Triumphs or any car are running around with cracked pushrods.
If you don't pull it out and examine it thoroughly then you wont know it has a problem 
Like the doctor said to me when I went to see him about blind spots in my left eye (stroke in the eye) I am one of the lucky ones who has it in my vision so what caused it can be treated. Plenty of people have this problem but it is not in their vision so dont know they have a problem.

pushrods do take a lot of up down round and round hard usage and agree  most of the bits you dont see   are  just not/never  seen 

they do wear into the inside of the follower and should be used as matched pairs 

agree with what can you see , the best part of varifocals is at a glance its fine then under the readers its stuffed 

keep taking the pills  and happy new year if thats possible  

dont forget with new followers to do the bedding in initial start up 

and redjust the tappets when the followers and new pushrods have bedded in after a good few 100 miles 

Pete

I would hope that it's along the 'sacrificial' line of 'camshaft doesn't wear but follower does', in order to bed in. It also wears on the inside to suit the profile of the pushrod, which is why they should be kept as pairs. The camshaft lobes do wear but at a slower rate, being hardened. We take the rocker assembly off the engine more often than we remove the followers but I always numbered those too, in order to have them back in the right place again.

a follower can wear concave , as they rotate on each lift this can pluck the edge of the cam lobe   if the lobe is good you are not in camshaft replacement  mode 

if the edge of the lobe looks a bit bird sh1t and plucked edges  its got to be replaced along with followers 

its an area of intense wear , nothing lasts for ever  its a look see then decide 

Pete

what's the thoughts on the cam bucket/follower having a drain hole in it, the original Stanpart item was a closed bucket sp was full of oil with the pushrod end fully immersed in it. I notice some go faster aftermarket buckets are drilled so that the excess oil can drain out, experts thoughts on this option please. good or bad?