Period Photos of Triumphs

Mike Costigan

As promised, the next selection all show the Tiny Lewis entry in the 1960 RAC Rally.

The photographic evidence shows the car carrying the TL 5 registration number, but when I spoke to Ian Lewis back in the early 1990s he was insistent that there was only ever one Herald that carried that number, his coffee and white early 1959 car. Ken Richardson's notes identified a car registered 8166 DU as being prepared by the Competition Department for that RAC Rally but that number does not appear in any photograph of the event. My conclusion was that the Lewis car must have developed a major fault just before the rally, and 8166 DU - a ribbed-roof white car - was hastily substituted using the TL 5 identity. 8166 DU is a registration in the middle of a batch of Canley-registered cars which were sold to Americans with these temporary UK numbers so that the new owners could enjoy a European holiday whilst collecting their new car. These registration records survive - I now forget which organisation holds them - but significantly 8166 is missing...

The first shot shows the car at the Wolvey Skid Pan:

1960 RAC Rally Lewis Shepherd 2.JPG

Next, in the paddock at Brands Hatch:

1960 RAC Rally Lewis Shepherd 3.JPG

and lastly on an unidentified test:

1960 RAC Rally Lewis Shepherd.JPG

• Like 3

Spitfires for you today, all from the 1964 Tour de France when Rob Slotemaker and Terry Hunter won the 1300cc GT Class in ADU 7B, much to the joy of the French Distributors, and the dismay of the French Alpine team who thought they had their name on the trophy!

So first of all, one of the Alpine team driven by Cheinesse and le Blond leading Jean-Jacques Thunier and John Gretener in ADU 5B, both about to be gobbled up by the Ferrari 250GT Lusso of Muller and Walter:

577332279_1964TourdeFrance01.jpg.cc6a0da19076ae304cf59c9b006086d3.jpg

Thuner and Gretener would retire with a blown engine towards the end of the event:

1964 Tour de France 03.jpg

Although suffering from a split fuel tank on the last day, Slotemaker and Hunter survived to win the class, finishing tenth overall in the GT Category behind Ferraris, Porsches and an Alfa Romeo:

1964 Tour de France 02.jpg

• Like 3

Rallying doesn't always go according to plan! Photographers tend not to be on hand when disasters occur, but here are some recorded for posterity.

During the 1960 RAC Rally, the Hodson/Collinson TR3 came to grief, causing significant damage to the rear quarter - note even the hard-top didn't escape undamaged!

1960 RAC Rally Hodson Collinson 2.JPG

Still in 1960, this time it's the Tulip Rally, and the Herald of Tony Horne and Rob Pengelly narrowly avoids a major disaster; it was enough to finish their rally, but it could have been so much worse:

1960 Tulip 2HP.JPG

Two years later, the 1962 RAC Rally again and the Misses Walker/Davies TR4 seems to have hit the bank fairly hard; not enough to halt their progress, but again the rear quarter is worse for wear:

1962 RAC Rally Misses Walker Davies 4.JPG

• Like 3

On 18/02/2022 at 17:52, Mike Costigan said:

As promised, the next selection all show the Tiny Lewis entry in the 1960 RAC Rally.

The photographic evidence shows the car carrying the TL 5 registration number, but when I spoke to Ian Lewis back in the early 1990s he was insistent that there was only ever one Herald that carried that number, his coffee and white early 1959 car. Ken Richardson's notes identified a car registered 8166 DU as being prepared by the Competition Department for that RAC Rally but that number does not appear in any photograph of the event. My conclusion was that the Lewis car must have developed a major fault just before the rally, and 8166 DU - a ribbed-roof white car - was hastily substituted using the TL 5 identity. 8166 DU is a registration in the middle of a batch of Canley-registered cars which were sold to Americans with these temporary UK numbers so that the new owners could enjoy a European holiday whilst collecting their new car. These registration records survive - I now forget which organisation holds them - but significantly 8166 is missing...

The first shot shows the car at the Wolvey Skid Pan:

1960 RAC Rally Lewis Shepherd 2.JPG

Next, in the paddock at Brands Hatch:

1960 RAC Rally Lewis Shepherd 3.JPG

and lastly on an unidentified test:

1960 RAC Rally Lewis Shepherd.JPG

Mike Many thanks for the above. I have attached a picture of the car after I reinstated the through the valance 576's, and the RMS576 on the roof.

DSC00600.JPG

• Like 2

On 20/02/2022 at 09:46, Mike Costigan said:

Spitfires for you today, all from the 1964 Tour de France when Rob Slotemaker and Terry Hunter won the 1300cc GT Class in ADU 7B, much to the joy of the French Distributors, and the dismay of the French Alpine team who thought they had their name on the trophy!

So first of all, one of the Alpine team driven by Cheinesse and le Blond leading Jean-Jacques Thunier and John Gretener in ADU 5B, both about to be gobbled up by the Ferrari 250GT Lusso of Muller and Walter:

577332279_1964TourdeFrance01.jpg.cc6a0da19076ae304cf59c9b006086d3.jpg

Thuner and Gretener would retire with a blown engine towards the end of the event:

1964 Tour de France 03.jpg

Although suffering from a split fuel tank on the last day, Slotemaker and Hunter survived to win the class, finishing tenth overall in the GT Category behind Ferraris, Porsches and an Alfa Romeo:

1964 Tour de France 02.jpg

Mike. Nice. I took this picture of 5B next to TL5 (8166DU) a few years ago.

DSC00605.JPG

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Is the Herald Coupe being brought back to life?

Please say yes.

Roger

I got most of the way there a few years ago, but a dodgy repro front wing halted my progress (I have found an original OE one since), and it's sat waiting in the restoration queue since. Most recent picture here;

DSC00939.JPG

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Works Spitfires said:

I got most of the way there a few years ago, but a dodgy repro front wing halted my progress (I have found an original OE one since), and it's sat waiting in the restoration queue since. Most recent picture here;

DSC00939.JPG

Looking good.

Roger

I'm pretty sure the same regulations applied then, too. If you study the photos, the low-mounted lamps are fogs, the grille-mounted one is a spot. The big problem with the low mounting is the danger of smashing the lens, either from stones or temperature shock at night when fording a stream.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Thanks! much appreciated, even if I never take it any further than idle curiosity. I just like the look.

Here you go. Bracket welded to top side of tube, which is normally hidden when valance fitted (which it isn't here as you can see). I think if you simply bolted the spots through the tube they would poke through the valance too much, The brackets bring the spots back about a 1 1/2".

576 bracket.jpg

Brilliant. So simple. I'll salt that away for future use.

I have a set of original Stanpart spotlamp brackets for the Herald, but never worked out how they fitted the car. They would presumably site the spots in front of the grille, which is the position I'm used to seeing them in, but round spots / fogs under the car is new to me and very appealing. Thanks for posting that.