Period Photos of Triumphs

Mike Costigan

Yes, John Wooley prepared a Vitesse 1600 for historic rallying back in the 1980s and managed to get the 6003 VC number re-issued. At the time there was no attempt to recreate the original 2-litre car - in fact the rally regulations of the time would not have permitted it - but the car may well have been transformed since. When John owned it the only similarity to the original was the colour!

Sadly Vic Elford died yesterday after a year-long battle with cancer.

He started his competition career as co-driver for David Seigle-Morris, notably finishing first in class on the 1960 Alpine Rally in a TR3A, WVC 248. But decided he could do a better job behind the steering wheel and successfully persuaded Harry Webster and Graham Robson to give him a try. Driving an early Vitesse 407 VC in the 1962 RAC Rally he set several 'top ten' stage times before the gearbox collapsed. The ensuing 90-minute change at the Penrith Standard-Triumph dealer resulted in the team going OTL, but this was the start of an illustrious driving career.

God speed, 'Quick Vic':

1962 RAC Rally Elford Butler 2.JPG

1962 RAC Rally Elford Butler 4.JPG

1962 RAC Rally Vic Elford Mike Butler.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Three Heralds from 1962 today, all 1200s.

Two Johns, Fairer and Bowdage, in their saloon 516 DJJ on the Monte Carlo Rally. They ran out of time and were classified a lowly 244th, but no doubt were happy to be able to say they took part - every rally competitor's dream in the 1960s:

1962 Monte Carlo Rally 32 Fairer Bowdage.jpg

Next we have H Watson and F C Mitchell on the Tulip Rally in saloon HW 22; they finished 84th:

1962 Tulip Rally 100.jpg

And finally B Petch and H Miller in their coupe VPN 550 on the RAC Rally; unfortunately I have been unable to find full results for the RAC so cannot report on their performance:

1962 RAC Rally VPN 550 B Petch H Miller.JPG

• Like 4

Three 'bubble-top' Spitfires for you today.

January 1964 saw the first outing for a Works-entered Spitfire when Roy Fidler and John Hopwood took 412VC to second overall in the Welsh International Rally:

1964 Welsh Rally.jpg

Next we have Terry Hunter and Patrick Lier in ADU7B who came 3rd in Class in the 1964 Alpine Rally:

1964 Alpine Rally 02.jpg

And finally Val Pirie and Susan Reeve who retired ADU467B on the 1964 RAC Rally:

1964 RAC Rally 01.jpg

• Like 4

On 18/03/2022 at 20:08, Mike Costigan said:

Crinnan Canal

9 mile "short cut" 1794 to 1801 in the digging. Started under John Rennie as Engineer, completed by Thomas Telford in the role. We where up there 2018, in the motorhome.

Map of Crinan Canal

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Costigan said:

Ah! One 'n', that's why I couldn't find it!

Neither could we, we "happened" across it wandering up the West coast of Scotland!. Eventually ending up on Skye. (in the "wet"😭). Want to go back up the East side this "Summer" but before the "wee beasties" hatch (hopefully).

Pete

Three pics from the 1959 Alpine Rally, the first continental outing for the Triumph Herald. Two cars were entered, both coupes, Tiny Lewis and Tony Nash in TL5, and Barker and Donnely in WYT 393.

Lewis and Nash (car no 101) finished 9th overall, winning an Alpine Cup:

1959 Alpine Rally 03.jpg

Barker and Donnely (car no 100) came 22nd:

1959 Alpine Rally 01.jpg

The two cars in Parc Ferme:

1959 Alpine Rally Lewis and Barker.jpg

• Like 5

TR4s on the 1962 Tulip Rally today - three Works entries plus one private entry, Thuner and Gretener in no 10 finishing Second in Class (24th overall, behind the MGA of Aaltonen and Palm), Sutcliffe and Fidler in no 12 Third in Class (30th overall), Sprinzel and Robson in no 15 Fourth in Class (35th overall), and Hamblin and Johns in the private entry no 17, 69th overall.

1962 Tulip Thurner Gretener 2.jpg

1962 Tulip Thurner Gretener.jpg

1962 Tulip.jpg

• Like 5

The majority of my photos are from the major international rallies of the day, but here are three from more minor events - I have no details of owners, drivers or entrants.

This one is taken at a Bugatti Owners Club hillclimb at Prescott in 1959:

1959 BOC Hillclimb.jpg

Next, the British Automobile Racing Club Goodwood meeting of September 1960:

1960 BARC Sept Meeting      Goodwood        51 XMX.jpg

The Royal Scottish Automobile Club will no doubt take excepting to my describing their international rally as a minor event, but it attracted very few foreign entries. This shows a very early entry of a Triumph Spitfire, dating from 1963:

1963 Scottish Rally.jpg

• Like 5

We'll leave the rally stages today and head for the motor shows.

First of all, the 1959 Paris Motor Show, held at the beginning of October, here's a 948cc saloon all polished up ready for the public to appear:

1959 October 1 Paris Motor Show.jpg

Two years later, a couple of views of the new 1200 convertible prepared for the 1961 London Motor Show at the end of October:

1961 Motor Show 01 October 17.jpg

1961 Motor Show 02 October 17.jpg

• Like 2

Mike, I'm loving all these great photos you have. If you keep them coming, I'll keep loving them!

I used to sometimes get a lift to primary school with the lady from round the corner in her red Herald convertible in the mid-60's. Happy days!

Cheers, Richard