Period Photos of Triumphs

Mike Costigan

Another domestic shot, from Blackhall in Edinburgh. A clean-looking Herald S for £575. I hope it's just a trick of the light but that door appears to be a different shade from the rest of the car. That grille certainly did not do the looks of the car any favours. You can just see the rear wing of a second model to the right, which may also be another Herald S.

734497058_b25lY21zOjkwZjc3NTgzLWZmZjEtNDRiYy1iMzdjLWM2M2Y2MWQ2NTE5ZDo5OTFlMDMxZC1lOWRlLTQzOTctODM1MC05NWZjYmU3YjdhNTI-2.thumb.jpg.85e33a08ee4511fa72ab9a9780a10942.jpg

• Like 1

Not quite a period photo, but I stumbled across this video of the Herald production line. Interesting things include the roof being held a few inches above the body for paint, and some device that looks like it tightens all four wheel nuts at once! The video ends with some clips of the Tulip Rally and the pre launch African publicity run.

Up-thread I posted some screen grabs of the prototype White & Black TH coupe VWR589 from 'Triumph Saloons DVD extras' The cine footage of VWR led into some stills of a ribbed roof 948 Coffee & White coupe stuck in some red mud (laterite soil) with the registration KGS130. This was part of an anecdote by Ray Bates (Standard Triumph engineer) of getting stuck in the mud in Kenya & he & his mates having to pull the car out (note the rope over the side of the bonnet!).

I thought the registration was from the UK but it is correct for Kenya (K), Nairobi (G = 1959 & 1960). The ribbed coupe roof was introduced in June 1960 so the pic would have been taken in late 1960 - probably October or November (Kenya's 'lesser' rainy spell).

1. KGS130 Coffee & White Coupe.JPG

2 KGS130 Coffee & White Coupe.JPG

3. KGS130 Coffee & White Coupe.JPG

• Like 2

Not a photo but a period cartoon. And not a Triumph either - well, not unless you were in the USA where they were badged as Triumphs. I was clearing out a book case the other day and came across a Thelwell cartoon book. Not the usual ponies, but "Thelwell's Book Of Leisure" dated 1968. So I skimmed through and ... I know that camper van. It's an Atlas!

There's also a cartoon Commer FC, a VW Type 2 and a Bedford CA - all camper vans.

Cheers, Richard

Thelwell_Atlas_Cartoon.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Another one I found recently; appears to be an OGL registration if I have squinted correctly? Sadly I can't make out the price at the pump but I bet it'll bring a tear to your eye.

1507094973_Screenshot2022-05-24at12_58_03.png.3078e212d41e83b80d9552fca877f60f.png

Another garage shot. ICI Petrol is long gone... but the garage was in Coventry on Binley Road and petrol looks to be 67.5 p PER GALLON. 

0_h_01249250.thumb.jpg.a9bcb7349f060c004d6518b730d848af.jpg

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I suspect it is for some odd version of fuel, given that it's off to one side.

Yes I think you are right, for some weird form of motor that relies on compression ignition. Maybe the fact that the pump has a label that reads Diesel is a clue 😃

9 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Yes I think you are right, for some weird form of motor that relies on compression ignition. Maybe the fact that the pump has a label that reads Diesel is a clue 😃

Smart a$$. My jeans read Diesel too but they won't hold even a gallon.

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Not on my main PC so don't have the access to my various software packages to mess about with the enhancement. Well spotted.

I don't have any high tech stuff, I just zoomed in on the photo and spotted the steering wheels in the window and remembered seeing the pump when I went to buy a steering wheel. . .

Just kidding.

1 hour ago, Patrick Taylor said:

The 67.5p pump is for dispensing two-star, which went in motorbikes, I think. My memory is a bit hazy, but didn't some low-powered cars run on three star, most on four and performance/luxury cars on five star?

Cars ran on 5 star if the driver was wealthy, usually they ran on 4 star, if you were a student they started on 3 star and ended up on 2 star as the grant ran out.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

Obviously not an 8 pints a night man?

Pete will agree with me on this one, drink one pint, pee 8 later all through the night. It's a geometric rate - two pints means I get rid of sixteen and so on. As Bamber Gascoigne would have said: I got up once and that was my starter for ten...

more pills required  

Frequent urination in the elderly at night is called nocturia. It can be the result of diabetes, chronic kidney failure, insomnia – or even simply drinking too much water before bed. Technically speaking, an elderly person who leaves the bed to urinate at least once per night can be said to suffer from nocturia.

I will add. Any Male who needs to go more that once or twice a night, and who had not had his Prostate checked, would be advised to make effort to have it done ASAP.

A very good Pal and ex collegue, complained of need to go "every few hours". For over a year I badgered him, and all he would say was OK next leave. (He was a Rig O/M). By the time it happened, it was too late despite all the oncology could chuck at him!!. I got the call, from My wife, whilst in the USA. Not one of the best days.!.

PSA`s are a start, but not totally reliable, Finger in the hole, uncomfortable, but tolerable. Magic Eye up the old man, is definitely not to be repeated too often.

Pete