Period Photos of Triumphs

Mike Costigan

21 hours ago, Gary Flinn said:

I've been re-reading the Excellent Herald/Vitesse Book by the Late Graham Robson whilst off work suffering with a Chest Infection, there is a short chapter on the Turn Left for Tangiers run

Apparently they needed around a gallon of water per day for each person whilst crossing the Sahara, what with the additional Fuel, Food, Etc required all the cars must have been well over-loaded!

It would seem from the write up too, that the Heralds were more reliable than the back up Atlas Minibus & Standard Companion Estate!!  😁

Gary

When we crossed the Sahara I don't recall drinking any extra water. We had a 10ltr water container in the car, but that was there in case we lost water from the radiator, which we did at one point in the Atlas mountains.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chris Longhurst said:

Surprised to see peace loving 'mop top' John Lennon in a Herald 1200 convertible with the registration 485 WAR  !!!

T'weren't his, but he did crash it.

Maybe that's why he wanted to give peace a chance, as he'd no more luck with war... :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It`s (Not?) surprising, just to what extent "celebrity" has on a vehicle value?. Seen back in the 90`s in an old nissan shed being used by a couple of guys restoring and servicing cars, was a grottiest, flea bitten mini, barely a smidgen away from scrap. I asked what the "score" was and the owner said, quite seriously, we are going to fully restore it. Can`t be worth it I said?. Answer?. That will fetch in excess of 100K when finished. It was aparently the one, that John Lennon, had bought new for his then wife Cynthia and had been painted pink. This was not long after Lennon had been killed, and stuff was being sold for stupid money, if it had, had, any connection with Him.

Pete

On the subject of celebrities this one was owned by BBC presenter Katie Boyle; from various clues on the car it looks to be maybe 1961 or slightly earlier but with her personal plate. Presumably when sold it was re-registered, so no idea if it ever survived in any form.

CB.jpg.491d12bb19ca8b93f9af032980a72a8f.jpg

• Like 1

This is another interesting period photograph, taken in Iran before the Revolution. This one has been colourised from the original black and white so am I right that the colour of the car is Primrose Yellow and white? No rubber bumpers, and although it may be surprising that it's a saloon in such a hot country, many car owners in hotter countries preferred the solid roof as protection from the sun. I always wondered what happened to both girl and car if either survived to the Revolution of 1978 / 79.

1709347177_ScreenShot2022-04-24at09_23_55.thumb.png.fde5406525785b960712b5b499474970.png 1182483153_ScreenShot2022-04-24at09_23_45.thumb.png.2dfc386b723f909da306c4bf1f76946a.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mike Costigan said:

Katie Boyle's car is an early 1200 from 1961 - it retains the 948-pattern bonnet handle and front valence without the air intake, but has HERALD lettering and rubber bumpers.

I should have spotted the valence - it took me long enough to find one for my 948 coupe...

These.went to Iran as kdc,s They where loaded in crates, always last. With the loading officer watching his draft marks. Millwall docks 1960’s. We took hundreds including most of the Hillman Hunters that where re badged and used as Taxi,s. Driven back from a night ashore in one many times.

edit. When the shah was in charge. All change when the idiots took over.

Pete

11 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Wasn't the Hillman Hunter rebadged as something else down there? Must go look.

Pakyan. Arabic for Chariot allegedly. I think some of the panels where pressed locally.?

The Indian, Hindustan, was a badged local Morris MO. I believe?. Certainly looked like one!. another popular Taxi. In Bombay, (Mumbai?) and other port city`s.

Pete

A couple more non-Rally related photos: unless you refer to election rallies...

The bold Tedward Heath with his upper body through the sunroof of a Herald 12/50:

TedHeath.jpg.4f9586b86449692c9ca7ec1e69bb06a0.jpg

And then he's presumably gone up in the world as he can now afford a Vitesse:

TedHeath2.jpg.549db07c5c495e134c8c42ca904a31d4.jpg

I think the second is Bromley North, London?

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Mike Costigan said:

Three more from the 1963 Marathon; two more views of 6003VC being prepared before the start, and another shot of the Thuner and Gretener TR4 being serviced, with 6002VC in attendance:

1963 Marathon de la Route 02.jpg

1963 Marathon de la Route 04.jpg

1963 Marathon de la Route 06.jpg

More great Rally Vitesse photo's Mike, keep them coming👍

Gary

This 1966 pic. (from Ebay some weeks ago) titled 'An Incident' intrigued me. The real title could be either:-

(judging from the number of onlookers on the bank) 'How many soldiers does it take to change a Herald wheel?'

or:-

(Driver to soldier) "The box of of explosives in the boot is just to give extra weight to improve the rear camber"

'An incident' - front.jpg

Rear.jpg

• Like 1

In the garage today painting Dixie's bottom ( Dixie is my Herald ! ) got to thinking I'm sure I have seen a Herald in some old family holiday photos.

Quick dig through some draws and found them, taken in St Agnes Cornwall circa 1967, looked on Gov website & looks like the car is long gone showing no record.

Cheers, Steve.168565637_img610(2).thumb.jpg.2e76f00029e5396e13cb8d137424a740.jpg614472198_img611(2).thumb.jpg.062722c69a4e88ab3bef26bc4a6c88db.jpg

• Like 3