Oil light on when braking

cliff.b

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Cliff, Topped off  swmbos car this morning, quarter tank 26quid!!. The big one will be the Motorhome. I expect that will be pump cut off and restart a full fill used to be just under the ton mark. Sign of things to come. Thanks Mr Putin!.

Pete

Indeed. £42 to fill the Spitfire and the tank is tiny. I did brim it though, on the assumption that it will cost even more next time I fill it.

They're talking about rationing already, not only road fuel but home heating oil; not because stocks are low but to ensure everybody gets some of what's available. I suspect £20-worth will go further with me - no pun intended - than with some of the huge 4x4s I see doing the school runs. Maybe they'll bring back 3 star... :)

2 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I suspect £20-worth will go further with me - no pun intended - than with some of the huge 4x4s I see doing the school runs.

A report on local TV here had the case of a guy who works as a security guard in a big shopping complex and has to start before public transport is running. He now can't afford to fill his 4 x 4 so uses his wife's little Renault while she goes to work on public transport. A 4 x 4 might look impressive in the car park but he loses the smile at the pumps  . . .

The friend I popped round to see in my 13/60, that cost 41€ to fill last week, has a Simca Aronde and is due to go to a big Simca event in Brittany next month, we worked out that at today's petrol prices and his consumption of 9L/100kms it would cost 160€, he is thinking of not going. He will I know as the call of the 'Aronde'* is too strong. Makes my 7.6L/100Kms for the 13/60 seem positively economical.

*Old name for hirondelle

30 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

They're talking about rationing already, not only road fuel but home heating oil; not because stocks are low but to ensure everybody gets some of what's available. I suspect £20-worth will go further with me - no pun intended - than with some of the huge 4x4s I see doing the school runs. Maybe they'll bring back 3 star... :)

Is there any basis for this talk of rationing, or just one of those rumours that spread like wildfire? 

1 hour ago, cliff.b said:

Is there any basis for this talk of rationing, or just one of those rumours that spread like wildfire? 

Now THAT I don't know for certain yet; but they were chatting on local radio (Radio Ulster yesterday morning) that some kind of rationing is going to be necessary to ensure that those who need fuel to get about - and here the caller was talking about the disabled and their Motability cars, not emergency workers or the like - can continue to get it; plus home heating oil was discussed to keep the vulnerable warm. Nothing on the Net anywhere to confirm, bar a mention in the Brussels Times dated 8th March:

850392985_ScreenShot2022-03-08at17_55_27.png.7d15ab4c1d41d8783fa132fc4aa90e3a.png

I've no idea how accurate that is, or how truthful - it's the only article that I've been able to find.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Now THAT I don't know for certain yet; but they were chatting on local radio (Radio Ulster yesterday morning) that some kind of rationing is going to be necessary to ensure that those who need fuel to get about - and here the caller was talking about the disabled and their Motability cars, not emergency workers or the like - can continue to get it; plus home heating oil was discussed to keep the vulnerable warm. Nothing on the Net anywhere to confirm, bar a mention in the Brussels Times dated 8th March:

850392985_ScreenShot2022-03-08at17_55_27.png.7d15ab4c1d41d8783fa132fc4aa90e3a.png

I've no idea how accurate that is, or how truthful - it's the only article that I've been able to find.

Found this article saying deliveries of heating oil and commercial deliveries of diesel are being restricted by suppliers in the ROI

https://www.buzz.ie/news/irish-news/ration-home-heating-oil-diesel-26411540

Shortages are more likely to be caused by a sudden and massive increase in demand, as has happened before.

People who normally drive around with half a tank of petrol filling up causing a temporary shortage at the petrol stations.

Here heating fuel delivery companies are dealing with big increases in demand as people stock up even if they wouldn't normally do so at this time of the year. One company taking orders wasn't able to say what the price would be. Another who usually delivers within 48 hours was quoting 7 days.

2 hours ago, Chris A said:

Shortages are more likely to be caused by a sudden and massive increase in demand, as has happened before.

People who normally drive around with half a tank of petrol filling up causing a temporary shortage at the petrol stations.

Here heating fuel delivery companies are dealing with big increases in demand as people stock up even if they wouldn't normally do so at this time of the year. One company taking orders wasn't able to say what the price would be. Another who usually delivers within 48 hours was quoting 7 days.

Yes, you are quite right. I will resist the urge to fill the bath with premium unleaded 🤔

• Haha 1

Government can reduce the cost of petrol at a stroke, as we all know, but they won't. They I'll probably heap even more fuel duty on a gallon and then have the absolute cheek to charge VAT on their own tax!!

On a 'real question' note. I have followed the E10 discussions with interest, especially the volatility of the ethanol. Now the question, Lady BW's little Micra gets very little use but the tank is nearly empty. It may be prudent to fill it up 'just in case'. Is it better to fill with normal E10 fuel, or, considering that the fuel may be in the tank for several weeks, maybe even months, would it be more sensible on this occasion to fill up with higher octane E5?

6 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

i would go the E5 route    if you are unsure

i still think much of the water problems are from petrol station tanks being run low with  the demand problems of the past few months 

Pete

Going back to the 80`s, One of my neighbours at the time worked for "Gilbarco", part of his job was to check and calibrate the pumps. He said that the pump`s control could detect water?, and would cut out, if it was above a certain %age?. This was done the protect the pumps, as the clearances on their delivery where extremely close. Nothing to do with customer service!!. In Marine practice, the fuel is taken from a point above the (potential) water level and the tanks drained daily to remove any water. Something probably not too easy with undergound tankage?.

Pete