Wing mirrors options for Herald 13/60

Quack

I find the wingmirrors on my Herald to be quite poor, they can’t be rotated inwards/outwards and provide a very small field of view.

on my car they are fixed to the bonnet, but I’d much prefer them to be on the doors, closer to me. Has anybody gone about this change? How do they fit on, are they screwed in to the bonnet? As I don’t really want to be leaving holes behind.

alternatively, are there some better ‘classic styled’ wingmirrors out there that have full rotation and movement so that I can achieve a wider field of view? I can’t seem to find any specifically. Many thanks

There will be a hole/holes in the bonnet for those mirrors and they might even be quite large. I have a clip on peep overtaking mirror clamped onto the edge of the quarterlight glass of my Vitesse as I couldnt bring myself to drill holes in the doors and it works quite well although obviously only works with the quarterlight closed...

https://texautomotive.com/product-category/mirrors/

There are quite a few suppliers but as I found myself the closer a mirror gets to the driver the better the view. I had the quarterlight clip-on version on both my GT6 and it was excellent. 

A small rectangular version will cost about £15, but if you search you may find one of the larger versions which uses a full-size mirror and gives an excellent view behind. This one is by Stadium, number 1601.

1304B2AC-19E8-4369-86E1-90C0B544315D_1_105_c.thumb.jpg.63de750037c2f12517d50af27e28dca2.jpg

My 13/60 has a pair of mirrors mounted on the doors, careful where you put them as they can affect the 1/4 light opening. They work well, give a good view, don't vibrate (too much) and can be adjusted.

I can't confirm the make or supplier as they were fitted when I bought the car but guess standard items from the usual suspects.SAM_0891.thumb.JPG.a553195560b6040c1d1feb23e1aebd50.JPG

32 minutes ago, Quack said:

I find the wingmirrors on my Herald to be quite poor, they can’t be rotated inwards/outwards and provide a very small field of view.

Are they convex or flat? If flat get some convex! My bullet wing mirrors were useless until I got convex replacement mirrors, now much improved.

There are 19,000+ ads on Ebay for replacement glass, this one says Triumph Herald.

DESMO Small Head 5" Replacement Convex Wing Mirror Glass To Suit Boomerang | eBay

Doug

this is just before the wing mirrors were removed and the holes plugged .

wing mirrors are the correct period mirror but using a telescope to spot something is hopeless in modern traffic 

door mirrors can be re adjusted from inside the car , you must take a lot of trial to get the mirror to clear the NDV and have unresricted vision 

with the NDV and the glass channel can get in the way 

most have a nasty plastic base which has a rawl plug type expanding  plug and a tapping screw  they can vibrate due to the door skin flexing 

i used rivnuts on mine early door mirrors had a alloy base much better  the plastic are designed to drop the mirror off if you swipe an obstacle

you see what Doug says about bullet styles  best avoided as there is very poor adjustment available on the N/S 

have fun 

club sell door mirrors ( pricey)  and many online  do check prices they vary WILDLY  they are pretty much all the same make 

Pete

DSC_0025.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

They almost certainly can. Loosen the nut on the tip of the arm and the mirror body should be adjustable. Don't undo the nut completely, though, as the bolt is awkward to refit.

Only up and down movement unfortunately, not inwards or outwards!

I think overall to preserve the look of the car and avoid ugly holes, i'm going to go with the quarterlight clip-ons, wasn't aware they were a thing. Thanks everyone, much appreciated as always.

on a grip on make sure you use the grippy pad or it will fly off on the first road bump and if you use the NDV  glass  as the fixing  the mirror will be useless when its opened 

if the in out wont adjust is that due to they are at the limit of available adjustment  you can undo the big nut inside the bonnet and repos the spring back arm 

it might pay to remove the head and really check the swivel /cup is fully free and not just stuck by crud  

Pete

I got a pair of Tex convex for the Spitfire. Lovely units. Fitted one to the driver's door in the optimum position and then made the mistake of measuring and fitting to the passenger door for symmetry. Mistake. Looks fine from the outside but totally wrong position to see anything useful from the driver's seat due to windscreen frame... Doh. Will correct if I ever get to repaint the door.

4 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I got a pair of Tex convex for the Spitfire. Lovely units. Fitted one to the driver's door in the optimum position and then made the mistake of measuring and fitting to the passenger door for symmetry. Mistake. Looks fine from the outside but totally wrong position to see anything useful from the driver's seat due to windscreen frame... Doh. Will correct if I ever get to repaint the door.

That's something you never think of... until it's too late! 

The quarterlight clip-on mirrors can also benefit from a small dab of sealant / adhesive as sometimes the pads don't grip the glass - you think they do, then you slam the door and they drop off, usually making contact with the top of the door as they fall. I learned this after one chipped the paint on my Mk3 GT6 and then amazingly same thing happened on my MK1 - same mark same place.

When I rebuilt my Spitfire drivers door I found it had three sets of holes for mirrors… The last lot I drilled, the rest were filled with filler and one had had a bolt ripped through it at some point. It’s a miracle I had managed to drill two holes into solid metal!