Spares to carry with you

Jezza

A Guardin Angel is probably the best thing to have.

Last year, a couple of us old bodgers  were so pleased to get an old car finally running we set off in a pale blue cloud of smoke to  give it a quick spin.

A beautiful warm sunny  day, a quiet road and  all going really well, no exhaust smoke, engine humming along sweetly , gentle whine from the gearbox , so we just pressed on further into the countryside.

Then .. back firing through the carb, splutter, splutter.. then coast to a silent standstill.

No tools. no phones.Nothing No one about.

We were embarrassed to release we had run out of fuel…
We were contemplating  the 3 mile round walk  “ one of us” would need to get fuel..

”What we could really do with is someone  just to pull up and take us to a garage and back” 

Almost on cue, a car pulls up - driven by my missus…

”What are you doing out here?”

”Such a nice day, thought I’d have a drive out after doing the shopping.Haven’t  driven down this road for years”

My daughter wasn’t surprised to hear we had run out of fuel - or that her mother had rescued us, “ Your guardian angel,  Dad, she’s always getting you out of trouble..”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Unkel Kunkel said:

A Guardin Angel is probably the best thing to have.

Quite agree. In 2018 I went out for a short spin to check possible vantage points for the tour de France that was to pass close to home after giving the car a check over ( oil level, tyre pressures, coolant). On the way back - sudden rise in water temp and steam!

The thermostat housing had decided to split! I was on a very rural small back road. My spares 'chest' was in the boot as usual.  The container of coolant was sitting in the courtyard I suddenly remembered! No bottle of water!

There was a house at about 30 metres but closed up - maison secondaire no doubt. Just looking along the road towards the next house and a car came along, they had a small 25cl bottle of water they gave me. Ok, walk to next house. didn't have to do that as the next field had horses in. Horses = water. There was a large trough of the stuff just inside the field, I could reach through the fence and fill the bottle. Refilled rad and managed to get home before the water temperature rose to the point where the thermostat would open and of course let out the water/steam.