Spares to carry with you

Jezza

Following my tale of woe (see https://forum.tssc.org.uk/topic/9717-my-tale-of-woe/ for a full run down) it got me thinking about which spares I should carry. 

I carry a basic set of tools (spanners, socket set, screwdrivers, pliers, etc) and I've now got a spare fuel pump and am thinking of carrying a spare solenoid, some indicator and brake bulbs, but is there anything else you'd recommend I carry with me? 

When doing a long drive (ie over 1000 miles in a few days) I carry basic tool kit, not forgetting gaffa tape, cable ties  superglue and an assortment of nuts/bolts etc. Also brake fluid, oil and water. 

Spares, I sometimes carry a water pump and alternator, but also 1 front wheel bearing. Plus wire, connectors, relays, universal switches etc.

I xan sort most things out as required, my car and others.  But there is always the odd one where you have to fit recovered. (600miles, after a uj failed. Fixed in a few hrs once we got home. )

If you carry spare items like fuel pump, rotor arm, distributor cap, etc, always fit the 'spare' to the car and carry the original as the spare - that way you know it's a working item. You would be surprised the number of times I have had to fit a new spare, especially electrical, only to find it is faulty!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the good suggestions - there’s definitely some things I’ll add to my tool kit and spare parts I carry, although I think carrying a spare alternator might be going a bit far! 

On 20/03/2022 at 17:51, PeteH said:

RAC personal recovery. Credit Card.

Pete

Errrr…… I tried this route and it didn’t work! Had to wait approx 8 hrs for a recovery that I had to organise myself!

On 20/03/2022 at 18:15, Pete Lewis said:

picnic stove, kettle, mug ,tea bag , water   etc.

Yes, well at least it’d make the wait more pleasurable! Given the British weather I might add a coat and umbrella to that list :)

On 20/03/2022 at 18:29, Mike Costigan said:

If you carry spare items like fuel pump, rotor arm, distributor cap, etc, always fit the 'spare' to the car and carry the original as the spare - that way you know it's a working item. You would be surprised the number of times I have had to fit a new spare, especially electrical, only to find it is faulty!

V good suggestion, thanks!

On 20/03/2022 at 19:29, Mike Costigan said:

Exactly! When I buy a spare ofgings like that I always fit them and give them a test, or even leave them fitted so I know the backup does work. Only change one at a time, in case of problem you know which item is guilty

11 hours ago, Jezza said:

Errrr…… I tried this route and it didn’t work! Had to wait approx 8 hrs for a recovery that I had to organise myself!

Sorry to hear, So far 🤞 we have been quite fortunate with RAC, having only needed them twice. Once to recover a 9t Yank R-V. And more recent to check out a warning light on on the current motorhome ( Failing EGR). Both time they came out promptly (under an hour). Because SWMBO is  regarded as "vulnerable", they are aware that we could need a priority?, so maybe that has a bearing?.

As Mike said, making sure the "spare" is a functioning one, can eliminate many roadside complications. I`ve watched normally intelligent guys, throw the U/S item in the boot as a "spare" before to-day!.

Pete

45 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

home for Kitt  ???

Pete

i posted tis way back but there is some oddity on the laptop it doesnt upload a reply  this was stuck in the editor 

so i was early now im Late   Pete

Well done Pete. I have a similar problem with my tablet in that when I press 'submit reply' in goes into a different window and doesn't upload, I have to click on another link. Any thoughts anyone. I don't get this on the desktop.