Loud knocking started randomly at high speeds

Quack

I was just going down the motorway in my Herald 13/60 and all of a sudden a very loud knocking sound came out of nowhere, it then continued any time I go above 60mph. It’s extremely loud, I can’t tell where abouts it’s coming from in the car, any clues?

Probably best to look when I’m home, at another services now. Hopefully it’s just something below the bonnet knocking like the heater lead, or even under the dashboard. It’s hard to tell of course cause I can only test it going 79mph down the m1 which isn’t the greatest idea! 

23 hours ago, Quack said:

79mph down the m1

earlier you quoted 60 mph so is the frequency getting worse !!!  ha 

when it comes to noises and vibrations its a case of sorting out what can this be 

engine is normally rev related gearbox and diff run at engine speeds  drive shafts and wheels run 4 times slower 

intermittent , what changes it ??   speed only or how agressive you drive  

one very often ignored banshee rattle is a loose number plate 

Pete

Many many years ago when my my Vitesse 6 was on the road I would drive rapidly round a 90 degree bend then floor the accelerator.
The throttle would jam open and the engine would move forward with the metal fan blades hitting the lip on the lower radiator tank making a hell of a noise.
Turn the key off wiggle the accelerator pedal and all good till the next time.

To stop it happening I took the car apart nearly 40 years ago.
Still got it and its restoration is being over taken by glaciers.

3 hours ago, ahebron said:

metal fan blades hitting the lip on the lower radiator tank making a hell of a noise.

Many years ago my brother, driving what is now my Spitfire, turned right at a junction and heard a deafening BANG followed by persistent (and loud) dugga dugga at engine speed. Thinking the worst, he stopped the car, opened the bonnet, and couldn't see anything because it was dark. He was a mile or two from mum's house so he locked the car, hitch-hiked, and returned with mum's car and a tow rope. In the mean time some ratbag had smashed the driver's door window (with a wooden block that had been in the boot).

The terminal fault? Well, it had air horns and the compressor was mounted on the radiator frame. The bolt had come loose and the compressor had hit the fan.

I had a strange noise just last week in the Sprint a tap tap at low revs but it went as the engine revved.

I changed the Alternator but noise was still there I couldn’t locate any rotational cause eg cam shaft, water pump, pistons, etc so I removed the rocker cover and eventually found the problem the bracket used to lock the overhead cam when removing the head had broken off due to fatigue whilst it shouldn’t be in contact with anything in normal operation just sit there clear of the cam sprocket springing forward of the camshaft sprocket but during a previous rebuilt 20 plus years ago appears it hadn’t been set up correctly was fouling the bolt used to lock the cam sprocket thereby working back and forward hence fatigue.

luckily I located the failure before any real damage was done and removed the broken bracket all good engine now back to normal but no bracket so any future rebuild could be tricky!

This has all just reminded me when I was in a mates TR6 3 cars behind a Spitfire driving down the road when we heard and felt a loud bang.
Thinking the TR6 had a problem we stopped as did the other cars.
It turned out the Spitfire had blown its diff which probably was due to the Daimler 250 motor that powered it.

On 25/03/2022 at 10:10, Quack said:

I was just going down the motorway in my Herald 13/60 and all of a sudden a very loud knocking sound came out of nowhere, it then continued any time I go above 60mph. It’s extremely loud, I can’t tell where abouts it’s coming from in the car, any clues?

Is it only in Top?. Or can you get it to occur at lower speeds in lower gears?.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to taking a look and I’m rather shocked to have found out that the problem was as seen in the picture attached.

Somehow my alternator mounting bolt had sliced clean off mid drive, and the nut was rattling around in the chassis?!! I’m not even sure how this could possibly have happened!

B2B32714-C45C-4AA7-B84F-A4784CC280FA.jpeg

109CFF2E-C1AF-4DC6-BC4C-452752E3D49C.jpeg

17DA77DE-6604-44BC-98F7-B996B86F7488.jpeg

D5669C98-348E-4732-B9F5-882AA56F5EC7.jpeg

F54C44E5-657D-4A31-8871-86AADA8E7695.jpeg

Look close at first pic;. Small discoloured "notch" at the bottom of the thread?. Probably from where the failure propagated?.

Unusual for rolled threads, not uncommon on Cut one`s though. Over-torquing would not help. Uncle Pete`s "Gorrilla Paws".😁

Pete

On 10/04/2022 at 12:03, Quack said:

Finally got round to taking a look and I’m rather shocked to have found out that the problem was as seen in the picture attached.

Somehow my alternator mounting bolt had sliced clean off mid drive, and the nut was rattling around in the chassis?!! I’m not even sure how this could possibly have happened!

B2B32714-C45C-4AA7-B84F-A4784CC280FA.jpeg

109CFF2E-C1AF-4DC6-BC4C-452752E3D49C.jpeg

17DA77DE-6604-44BC-98F7-B996B86F7488.jpeg

D5669C98-348E-4732-B9F5-882AA56F5EC7.jpeg

F54C44E5-657D-4A31-8871-86AADA8E7695.jpeg

Was there not a sheared off bit still in the nut? If not, I'm wondering if it  sheared previously and someone has just got the the nut to bite on a thread or two of what's left.

Could explain what happened, maybe 🤔

32 minutes ago, Quack said:

Nope, couldn’t find that bit anywhere. Also the bolt and nut were brand new as I fitted them myself with the alternator conversion kit. Very weird

That is a mystery, unless the one that sheared is on the road somewhere and what you found was some other random nut from somewhere else 🤔