GT6 mk2: starting my engine rebuild

DanielH

Hi there, long time lurker here...I found this forum really helpful sofar, so i decided i would ask you guys to guide me during my first engine rebuild. So I am planning to post the various project stages here and I hope you could help me out with your informed crowd wisdom 😉 

I am not new to mechanical work on pre-70ies Jaguars and Triumphs, but this my first engine rebuild.

Engine number is KD56475 E

Current stage is: engine returned from machinist.

So, I am looking forward your input!

thanks

Dan

status7.JPG

16 hours ago, DanielH said:

Current stage is: engine returned from machinist.

Hi Dan

Presumably as you have passed the machinist stage, various decisions have already been made, ie crank regrind, new pistons and rebore etc.

Is your objective to rebuild as standard or do you have aspirations to take it further and pep things up a bit.

I rebuilt my Mk2 engine in 2010/11 and would be happy to share the spec with you if it would help.

Ian

Hello,

I just want a standard rebuild, without frills.

Cylinder bores

The cylinders have been bored to match +0.020 oversize pistons. 

I purchased the "county" pistons from rimmerbr0s: https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-149976020COUNTY

I was unable to find information about the manufacturer etc. Rimmer wrote:

"This is the Hepolite page, our CP800 is a reverse engineering 19270.  The spec would be 020 on top of this.

The piston to bore clearance on this piston is 0.002-0.00252"

Main bearings

All the journals were in spec but some showed marks like this one: see attached.

Grinded to fit +0.010 oversize bearings from Glyco:

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-144194010

Big end bearings

Grinded to fit +0.010 oversize bearings from Glyco:

https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RTC1751010

lager 1.png

Apologies! Checking reveals that the tabs on the shells should be on the same side. However, those shells should align at the edges. Incorrect shells for that con rod assembly I would suggest.

Edited by Wagger
Error in original answer.

50 minutes ago, Wagger said:

The recessed bits on the shells should not both be on the same side of the assembly.

I'm not entirely sure you mean what I think you mean but if you do you are mistaken. The notch on one corner of the shell is there to prevent them rotating and both notches MUST be on the same end for them to work. I had a Herald where some DPO had assembled one of the big end caps the wrong way round (so the notches were not on the same end) and two things happen - first, the engine won't turn because the conrods are line bored in assembled condition and may not be perfectly circular if assembled wrong, and second, the bearings then spin and get flattened.

The assembled condition shown in the photo is correct (other than the bearings not sitting straight)

Just now, NonMember said:

I'm not entirely sure you mean what I think you mean but if you do you are mistaken. The notch on one corner of the shell is there to prevent them rotating and both notches MUST be on the same end for them to work. I had a Herald where some DPO had assembled one of the big end caps the wrong way round (so the notches were not on the same end) and two things happen - first, the engine won't turn because the conrods are line bored in assembled condition and may not be perfectly circular if assembled wrong, and second, the bearings then spin and get flattened.

The assembled condition shown in the photo is correct (other than the bearings not sitting straight)

You are correct Rob. Just checked the diagrams and edited my post. Memory is not to be relied upon, Again!

This assembly may not be tightened fully, or these shells are wrong or poorly manufactured.

Hi there,

I had a closer look at the shells over the weekend...

The caps and rods are not mixed up, they all have figures (1-6) which line up properly.

I guess the problem is with the shells:

I placed them on a flat surface (mirror) and noticed, that some of them are bent: see foto below.

The old shells are perfectly flat at the edges: see foto below.

Some shells are only slightly bent, i.e. when I screw caps and rods together, I am able to correct the misalignment by providing a bit lateral pressure until the bolts are fully fastened.

I am now returning the set of shells to Rimmerbros and get a different one from somewhere else.

Any recommendations for a good source?

thank you 🙂

Dan

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

I know that this sounds a tedious process, because it means checking all con rods and dismantling again, but fit each con rod and new shells on the crank without fitting the piston. Tighten the bolts and check that it is free but has minimal 'Play'. I used to do this with motor cycles and it was known as 'Selective assembly' to get best match. You will then kno if it is going to work when assembled.

49 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

begin to wonder it these bent shells have been out misfitted and returned and re sold 

its a unusual fault from any of the makers 

Pete

Yes Pete. There are marks on the running surfaces if the photos are of the actual shells.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

the new bearing shells have just arrived:

cr 625cp 010 from King (made in Israel).

I checked them on a glas table for distortions: see attached.

They look good!

I am going to resume in the next few weeks.

thanks 🙂

image.thumb.jpeg.e75ebc3ba9e4d93634347667e9094cc6.jpeg

Hi again: what special tools do I need for my engine rebuild, which I could order beforehand?

My inventory sofar:

• Digital caliper: measuring range: 0 to 150 mm, Measuring accuracy: 0.01 mm.
  • Micrometer div. sizes, accuracy:  0.01mm.
  • torque wrench

I guess I need at least plastigauge.

To fit the bearings in the small end I need a tool, right?

Which oil or lube, a can or rather something else?

thanks 🙂

Daniel

I would get the machine shop to fit the small ends in the rods, they will need reaming to fit I would also get them to do the measuring as they will have high quality tools. I would use an assembly paste, but not in the cylinders (I used penrite engine assembly lube) and any oil can filled with engine oil for bores. If you need to time the cam I would have 2 dial gauges, you will need a set of feeler gauges and a piston ring compressor and lots of pipe cleaners and other cleaning kit if you don't get the engine dipped as cleanliness is important