Engine oil leaking a bit. Seems to be from around the head gasket - Vitesse Mk 2

andycouchman_5147

As above...

Not a big leak, just a few drops on a journey, but the oil looks to be coming from around the head gasket area (nearside and towards the back).

Replaced the (ali) rocker cover silicone gasket just in case, but that looks dry.

No mayo in the rocker cover, car goes as normal, no smoke, and the cooling water is still nice and blue-ish (no evidence of oil in it).

Head gasket? If so, would you leave it or fix asap? How difficult is a Vitesse headgasket replacement and any tips?

Thanks.

i would do a quick retorque or just add a bit of nip to the rear head nuts 

as Garry said   the oil feed up to the rockers is a normal leak/seapage what does happen is the washers under the head nuts deform and the head looses its clamp force    if you can retorque  great ,

thats back each nut in turn     1/2 turn and retorque with a torque wrench 

better still remove a nut change the washer for a high duty one and then re torque 

do one at a time 

pete

1 minute ago, Chris A said:

Does this apply to the 13/60? Just asking 'for a friend 🤫'

Yes. The Triumph engine, whether four or six cylinder, has an oil feed in that corner which isn't as well clamped as it might be so is prone to a bit of weeping. (The same is actually true of many other engines, too).

9 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Yes. The Triumph engine, whether four or six cylinder, has an oil feed in that corner which isn't as well clamped as it might be so is prone to a bit of weeping. (The same is actually true of many other engines, too).

My 'friend' will sleep easier now and continue just to wipe the area down from time to time.

Here's an article from our local Club Mag TV on my DIY solution to the oil head leak on the daughter Mk2 Spit, i have subsequently lifted the head and correctly fixed the oil leak, but our Ed loves having a shot at engineers solutions.

It was a well engineered BODGE, the cloth/wrag was held in place by a stretched spring over the top of it which was clipped to two hooks held by two of the bell housing bolts all very neat and easy to service!!!

Hope it amuses, where there's a will there's a way!

Nappy.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

aha  an oil slick nappy solution   ,,,  very good 

now the rest of the chassis will go rusty 

Pete

Not in Aus Pete! And esp with a powder coated chassis this winter will fill the chassis inside with fish oil!