Lock set

Colin Daniels

If you can’t get a full set, DIY re-keying is not too difficult. Note that originally the glovebox and boot locks were deliberately different from the ignition and door locks (though not sure of the exact setup for an estate).

Having 'juggled the tumblers' in the past there's a really limited number of gate options and from 4 door barrels I was able to get 2 that matched my cars ignition barrel.  Really easy to pop the individual gates in and out with the barrel on the bench too.

Yes, I managed to get the tumblers for 2 doors, petrol cap and rear hatch all the same despite cap and hatch having shorter barrels. My ignition is very different, the key has a straight edge down one side so couldn't be done. A friend has installed central locking on his MGB, neat idea! Something else for the wish list.

Doug

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Yes, I managed to get the tumblers for 2 doors, petrol cap and rear hatch all the same despite cap and hatch having shorter barrels. My ignition is very different, the key has a straight edge down one side so couldn't be done. A friend has installed central locking on his MGB, neat idea! Something else for the wish list.

Doug

As far as I can tell from my messing around all the tumblers are still interchangeable between the different key types. But the barrels differ. My Herald ones all take an FS type key (one flat side one toothed side) but the Spitfire ignition and doors have a longer double toothed key. But I was still able to mix and match the tumblers.  

40 minutes ago, Josef said:

My Herald ones all take an FS type key (one flat side one toothed side) but the Spitfire ignition and doors have a longer double toothed key.

The Mk3 Spitfire is a mix - the doors are the longer double-toothed type but the boot lid and ignition are FS keys.

The 'double-toothed' keys you get on Triumphs are actually just 'double-sided' keys and mean it doesn't matter which way around you put the key in.  It's still only the teeth on the top side moving the fingers so they are flush with the barrel and the barrel can turn, rather than the more advanced/expensive type where the pattern is different top/bottom and each acts on an independent set of fingers - or even the X keys for my garage bolts where each edge has a separate pattern and the key only works in 1 out of the 4 possible orientations.

4 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Why Would you install extra security in a MGB surely you’d want some one to steal it!

I hate MGB’s

Now now, we're all brothers in arms or whatever. Us classic owners have to stick together. They laugh at us, we laugh at them, we all laugh at MX5s. 

8 hours ago, NonMember said:

The Mk3 Spitfire is a mix - the doors are the longer double-toothed type but the boot lid and ignition are FS keys.

Do you know that for sure? I thought that the reason for the mixed keys was so you could lock the boot (and glovebox where fitted) with a different key than the doors and ignition required. For example if giving the car to a garage or valet. My Mk3 definitely has an ignition barrel to suit the symmetrical double sided FT key. But it’s had 14 owners and a lot of abuse so no guarantees on when it gained that. Asking for pure nerd reasons though :D

10 hours ago, NonMember said:

The ignition went double-sided on the Mk4 with the addition of a steering lock.

No it didn't.  On the MKIV, the key changed to a bigger key, but it was still single sided, same on the MK3 GT6.

Amazon.com: Ilco Triumph Key Blank Ignition Lock Key Key Blank Fits Triumph  GT6 Herald TR6 TR7 TR8 Spitfire Stag 1970 1971 1972 1973 1974 1975 1976  1977 1978 1979 1980 1981 : Automotive

This bigger key remained with the early 1500 Spits, and only changed to a double sided key when the steering column was changed to the TR7 style column with the ignition lock up close to the steering wheel rather than deep down between ones knees.

I believe, that when the 1500 went for the TR7 style column, that the double sided ignition key was the same as the door key, but as all the ones I've encountered have had different keys (cut from the same blank) I cant confirm it.

2 hours ago, KevinR said:

On the MKIV, the key changed to a bigger key, but it was still single sided, same on the MK3 GT6.

Of course, you are right, I misspoke. I should know, I've been driving my Mk3 GT6 quite a lot of late (well you need to test drive it when you've just fixed something, like putting the passenger seat back in).