Carb identification

Piglet

they look like HS2 to me with the bolts to the manifold in a vertical alignment, HS4 are angled (but hard to see!). They are the later type though with the crankcase breathing to the carbs as in MK4 rather than having the crankcase breath to a valve on the manifold. They also may have a valve in the throttle butterfly and a sprung needle as in the MK4. I think that they are a set of MK4 carbs

As Alex has an apparently standard Mk3 airbox fitted, then they’re going to be HS2 rather than HS4. But as Dan says, from a MkIV rather than Mk3 cause of the breather arrangement. The only major difference is the needles, BO for Mk3 and AAN (I think?) for the MkIV.

Mk3 spec on my Mk3 - note no tube between the carbs

B7F355ED-A933-462F-A124-5FD86FA8DE83.thumb.jpeg.bc621d8f83ee47ec2ca8d2175e3d4eed.jpeg

MkIV spec on my Herald (with switch of the fuel line to the rear of the engine)

0F1AC001-C894-4541-8BC0-E1CEEFB566D1.thumb.jpeg.3a8f7af33e0b1ddaba66e9074081e592.jpeg

I was going to contribute as below but not  sure was very helpful so have greyed it out.

But going back to the top, for clarification: What's the issue or problem seeking a solution? Perhaps parts are required? Or an originality/athenticity question? Any further guidance in this respect would be good.

----

Just trawling through the SU book. It appears that were two variations of the HS2 for Spit3; to wit AUD257 and AUD275.

The only difference I can find between AUD257 and AUD275 is BO needle as opposed to DD needle.

If Spit4 HS2s are in the equation then there were two variations AUD 441 and AUD 580 which appear to differ from each other only in the throttle disc.

Chris I need to know so I can get the correct size filters. I measured and it's 1.25". Almost measured in mm lol. The number seems to read LB2 57F. Managed to clean up the connecting pipe okay but it's clearly not for these carbs as the left hand side has been bent to fit! I also changed the small rubber hoses as they looked like they'd been there since, oooh, 1967. And new Jubilee clips too.

Alex

IMG_20220722_155458.jpg

IMG_20220722_155748.jpg

IMG_20220722_155901.jpg

IMG_20220722_165058.jpg

IMG_20220722_165104.jpg

IMG_20220722_165112.jpg

9 hours ago, Piglet said:

Thanks Clive, I will make a note!

Alex

But don't rely on the tag, easy to swap between carbs.

The ones you have, as others have said, are from a later car, I presume you don't have the flying saucer PCV valve in teh manifold either? The main difference will be needles. Fixed on a mk3, but spring biased on the later carbs. BUT it is possible somebody has made a pair of bitsa carbs, using the late bodies but earlier pistons. You need to take the tops off the carbs, see if the needles are slightly sprung.

None of that affects the filters you need.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

https://sucarb.co.uk/carbspec/carburettor/essentials/id/2405/

AUD257F (F for front, the other should be R for rear) are standard fitting for the MK3 from 1967 - 1968, according to the SU Carb site linked above. Great site for spare parts.

But the issue her is that teh carb bodies, maybe the whole carb, are from a later spitfire. So the tab number cannot be trusted.