Underdash spaghetti!

Jeffds1360

Spent yesterday on my wiring. Finally got some semblance of tidy, but the scotchloks of 30 years ago are going to defeat me. They are unsightly, but they have been there for so long and are working. I am starting to reason that they were put in when the dash was refitted and to replace them all, I will have to take out the dash and, apart from the time factor, I can do more harm than good!! I might just put it back together and try to forget what is there until something needs replacing and do the job properly then. To many none standard colours, to much unravelling, to little space. The moral...do the job properly in the first place.

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

o many none standard colours, to much unravelling, to little space.

I'm in the same position, sort of. I need to replace a couple of the white live feeds from the ignition switch they both originate in the same spade terminal, I know one wire goes to the voltage stabiliser but the other? I need to get my Sherlock Holmes hat and magnifying glass to investigate via a process of elimination. The job is down for later this week, the mental task of determining which wire goes where either direct or via other connections is ok, it is the physical contorsions necessary that truly will be a pain in the back!

I too am going to pretend I didn't see the other mess . .

I love electrics, they're really quite simple in Heralds. The other white from the same terminal that goes to the stabiliser goes to the flasher unit; there are actually four - flasher, stabiliser, windscreen wiper (the one I melted, twice) and brake light switch. Easy enough to disconnect the pair you want then see what no longer works!

I'm really spoiled this weather, now having only Heralds with so much underdash room compared to the GT6, and less wiring to work out.

30 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I love electrics, they're really quite simple in Heralds. The other white from the same terminal that goes to the stabiliser goes to the flasher unit; there are actually four - flasher, stabiliser, windscreen wiper (the one I melted, twice) and brake light switch. Easy enough to disconnect the pair you want then see what no longer works!

I'm really spoiled this weather, now having only Heralds with so much underdash room compared to the GT6, and less wiring to work out.

Damn you Mr Lindsay! 😁 That was like telling me 'who done it' in a book I was about to read . . 

I had already consulted the wiring diagram and established the same short list but hadn't yet done the investigation, the fun bit.

Anyway you have saved me a process and I now know that all I have to do is make up a replacement double wire with spade connectors one long enough to reach the VS the other all the way to the flasher unit.

That is assuming of course that none of the other wires have been rerouted over the years and tacked onto the ones to be replaced. I think I will do the confirmation to be on the safe side all the same. Better safe than sorry.

Just thought of another reason to check what is connected to what. There is a radio I have never needed to see where the power is taken from, I don't even know if it is a permanent live. Nobody would have piggy backed it onto another wire would they, but there again those blue Scotchlocs that you love so much are there for some reason . . .

* Why do people buy GT6s? From all accounts they are very hot inside, no boot space to talk of and now I learn that the space behind the dash is even tighter than on a Herald. Add to that even a Herald towers over them. . . 😁 I will admit that they do look 'OK'

19 minutes ago, Chris A said:

Why do people buy GT6s? From all accounts they are very hot inside, no boot space to talk of and now I learn that the space behind the dash is even tighter than on a Herald. Add to that even a Herald towers over them. . . 😁 I will admit that they do look 'OK'

I did like mine, from a selfish 'driver-only' point of view, very snug and a little pocket rocket on the road, but completely impractical. Looked great at shows, everyone loved it, but cramped to work on. Getting down into the footwells was a struggle for someone the size I am. If I wanted to bring folding seats on a club run or to a show they were very obtrusive in the rear load area. Heralds on the other hand have a large rear seat and a larger boot so plenty of room for seats etc but out of sight. I can lie on my back, down into the footwell (making sure the seat brackets are well padded!) and work upside-down under the dash, with loads of room to access the rear of the dash.

Apologies for spoiling your detective work (I'd have gotten away with it if it hadn't been for that pesky manual) but I've been working in that area recently trying to find a better spot for my overdrive power-takeoff than terminal 5A, or at least trying to find something that won't involve splicing. Definitely not Scotchloks though.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Apologies for spoiling your detective work

No problem. I've enough reasons/excuses to check which wire powers what, including the radio, and the fact I suspect the fan switch a playing a joker card and intermittently working - which isn't helpful - so that is to be carefully looked into. Already had to change which connector used on the switch for the live some time ago as it played up.

46 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

My constant refrain with my wiring "What idiot did this!" :angry: And the voice in the back of my head says "You know full well what idiot did this." :wub:

Doug

43 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

I think that many of us in the same boat (car). Come under the heading of 'seemed like a good idea at the time'...it wasn't!!

I'm saying nothing, I claim the right to remain silent. . .

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Intrigued what the extra wiring is (on early GT6?), compared to Herald (with temp gauge, heater etc?). I can think of rev counter.

Comparing it to my 67 Vit, which would be the same/similar to early GT6?.

Cheers

1 hour ago, daverclasper said:

Intrigued what the extra wiring is (on early GT6?), compared to Herald (with temp gauge, heater etc?). I can think of rev counter.

Comparing it to my 67 Vit, which would be the same/similar to early GT6?.

Cheers

Herald 1200, fuel gauge only, no fuses, wiper switch about three feet from the heater switch and that huge big dashboard with loads of room in behind...

On my GT6 everything so close together (fuel / temp / oil pressure / ampmeter, rev counter, speedo all powered or illuminated), three fuses, radio, speakers, 2-speed wipers, a lot of wiring in behind the little centre dash section or up behind the h-frame, so I spent a lot of my ownership effectively working in braille.

Triumph just to confuse, the Vitesse Mk2 had a std Lucas two 35Amp fused fuse box not 3 like GT6, the two fuses were one each for Battery & Ignition circuits, but there was a third "in line" fuse for the side lights, main & dip unfused as normal.

Similarly my 76 Sprint only has a two 35Amp fused fuse box, WHY when the Stag of the same era was multi fused!

Triumph consistently inconsistent!  

23 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I've been and investigated, with the following results.

Firstly I fitted a wire to bypass the heater fan switch as I has given up the ghost as I thought. I used a wire rather than a volt meter so I could here the fan rather than having to look at the meter along with everything else. New switch on order.

I confirmed the radio did not take its feed from the burnt wires.

To do my test I put a spare battery on the brake pedal, switched the indicators on then turned the ignition on. Everything functioning also confirmed wipers working. Switched off the disconnected the burnt wires from the ignition switch, switched on again and the following did NOT function :

Indicators, as Colin L said.

Heater fan

Oil pressure light

Ignition light

The theory did not stand up to the test.

Switched off and went and had a strong coffee!

It has crossed my mind that the other set of the live terminals don't do anything hence why some others have been 'rerouted'.

I had also noticed that the two white wires going to the VS went to the same connector before going to the VS, so not easily possible to determine which was the live feed from the switch and which went to other items, the wires both went into the loom..

Plan B came into action, repair rather than replace. Done but not really happy about it, I prefer things properly done when ever possible.

I wonder how much a professional would charge to completely sort out and put back to stock the wiring behind the dash, including reconnecting wires as they should be?

15 hours ago, Chris A said:

Wow! That is posh. Much more style than the black and white basic one in my handbook for the 13/60.

It comes from here

Wiring Schematics and Diagrams - Triumph Spitfire, GT6, Herald

Sadly the Herald link is broken. I printed some off and got daughter to laminate them. It's SO much easier in colour.

There is a guy on Ebay selling all sorts

Triumph Herald 13/60 Full Colour Wiring Diagram A3 - 16"x12" | eBay

Doug

1 hour ago, Chris A said:

I wonder how much a professional would charge to completely sort out and put back to stock the wiring behind the dash, including reconnecting wires as they should be?

Possibly as much as a new loom? It's not that hard to check a loom nor, as I found, is it difficult to rewrap one. If you have any suspect sections just cut the wrapping off and see where the wires go, they're usually all bright and shiny new as the covering has protected them. Once you've worked out the individual circuits you can re-wrap either as one large loom or as separate circuits, just hold them all together by cable ties. It's very simple under the wrapping, just lengths of coloured cable with various connectors attached, and very easy to replicate. I probably couldn't do it from scratch but replacing one cable individually is now quite easy.

You are most probably right. I would be able to do it technically, as you say the wiring is quite simple really. The worst part is, as you know, working behind the dash. OK, so take dash out, dismantle everything . . Starting to put me off doing it now. 🤔

It would mean taking the car off the road for a while to do it and there is no way I want to lose any of the driving season so it would be a winter job which means a nice cosy garage . . .