New Dash Indicator Green 'Jewel' Lens - Teenie Weenie Silly Modification Detail - But it Works! Hope This Helps!

Colin

Hi folks,

Probably many of you good folk have bought, as I did, a replacement green indicator jewel lens - the edges of mine had crumbled away.

Pretty much standard from anywhere you buy one.

BUT:- I couldn't see the light indicator operating in broad daylight - the depth of colour of the lens was preventing anything the weenie 2.2W bulb might've been showing.

I made two moves:- 

1) I bought the LED bulb from the Club shop and, more importantly;

2) I removed the jewel lens. Carefully and accurately drilled down the centre length of the threaded rear side, stopping short of the cockpit-visible dome. To a width of about 2.5 mm, which didn't compromise the structural integrity of the lens.

Refitted & bingo! The indicator light became very visible. OK, only tested in the garage, but I know from the previous set-up that this permission of light now conducted down the lens barrel will now show up for me even in bright daylight.

Just thought I'd share - 'cos it does make a difference to be able to see it (especially if, maybe, your self-cancelling springs are a bit weak etc..).

Best,

C.

• Like 1

I went to a haberdashery (?) shop and bought plastic green 'emeralds' these are faceted and have a flat back with a silver backing.
Scrape the backing off and superglue it to threaded bit that I had cleaned up and goes into the dash.
Works a treat and looks bling-ish

1 hour ago, ahebron said:

I went to a haberdashery (?) shop and bought plastic green 'emeralds' these are faceted and have a flat back with a silver backing.
Scrape the backing off and superglue it to threaded bit that I had cleaned up and goes into the dash.
Works a treat and looks bling-ish

Dont you think though that it should have a chrome surround of some sort like every other instrument and switch? To me it stands out like a sore thumb and Im thinking of making a tin foil backing ring for it or, even more controvertial, changing it for one of these:

Image 1 - Lucas 36107 warning light WL12 BMC Austin Morris MG Riley Vintage Classic Cars

Yes that's original but the light only shines straight out, from quite far in behind, so not the best possible. Even the Lucas version, available in flat or jewelled, throws out more light, and has a nice chrome bezel too. All depends on how original you want to be!

s-l400.jpg.7144ae94bd73ec995f7dead765e0a998.jpg  CAFAEF78-B1E1-4425-8797-801C02E7B71F_1_105_c.jpg.5612d0e96806cd7ecf3a52378812eea2.jpg

7 minutes ago, NonMember said:

From memory of when I assembled the Spitfire's dash, the hole is about 10mm. There are chrome-bezel LED holders readily available about that size, usually sold for electronics hobbyist rather than cars.

Those jewel lights are 9.5mm or 3/8. Lucas SPB355 is the part number. You can get LED equivalents that have the same size of face plus bezel but next to nothing in behind, bar cables, so will fit in smaller holes.

I thought the Vitesse jewel light hole in the dash wasnt round but slotted the same shape as the rear of the jewel so that its held in place while you do up the back connecting tube? If so then you must have to at least modify the hole a bit to fit any other type of light....