HERALD 1250

foshi

• foshi changed the title to HERALD 1250

i did understand  what the 12/50 stood for , just thought it would state that on the v5 herald 12/50 not herald 1200  only badging i appreciate but just wondered if it was the normal way a 12/50 is listed in the v5 or could it be a 1200 spect up paul.

The 12/50 was a 'souped-up' version, more power from the engine (51bhp opposed to the standard 39), full length sunroof and discs as standard with the 12/50 badges and front grille denoting the model. It was only available in saloon form and when the rest of the Herald range was upgraded to 48bhp engine as standard it more or less became obsolete, since the other models had almost the same spec anyway. It's still an unusual model to own.

Relevant Commission numbers (sometimes referred to as  'chassis' numbers) are:-

Herald 12/50 'Sunroof' Saloon GD1RS to GD44689RS

Herald 1200 Saloon GA1DL to GA249873DL

The Commission # plate should be on the outside of the front bulkhead on the nearside (near to where the bonnet catch secures). The same ## should appear on the DVLA documentation.

It is (? was) fairly common to find 1200 saloons with a 12/50 sunroof, 12/50 grill (no centre portion) or 12/50 engine - I modified my (now Ex-) 1200 Saloon way back in the 1980s with parts from a scrap 12/50 - the full roof swap was a 1/2 days job!

DL I think meant 'DeLuxe (saloon) & I have assumed RS meant Roof - Sun!

Chris

2 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

I wonder what Comm No the Australian CKD 12/50 Coupe’s anD Saloons were given, they didn’t have sun roofs but did have the Vitesse bonnets.

Peter - see info on attached .jpg - 12/50 Vitesse bonneted saloons looks like GBxxxxxDL.  I can't remember where I downloaded this from!

12/50 Aussie Coupes were GBxxxxxxxCP (sorry, can't find the reference at the moment)

Chris

1010045497_Aussie12-50Pg2.thumb.jpg.6e82634e1f4ba373c5bbc3c623be7bfe.jpg

4 hours ago, Jon J 1250 said:

It is the 60th Anniversary of the 12/50 next year, does anyone know if the club plans to celebrate this in any way?

I'd like a 12/50 event to take my '65 model to.

Regards

Jon

I’d settle for any event to take any Triumph to. I must begin the research for a Courier article, so might need detailed photos.

There was also a Twin Carburator Conversion Kit, SU`s, which required the raising of the C-R from 8 to 8.5 : !. Removal of 30thou from the head.

Section Special Acessories Herald 1200 Owner Repair Manual 1962.

Pete