Adjusting solenoid in d type overdrive and not reverse selection

Tipidave

12 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Here's our 3 Rail Gear lever fitted to my daughters Mk2 Spit with the later single rail internals fitted into a 3 Rail case with J type overdrive.

The daughter wants the std Triumph O/D switch in the lever so my mods at the top currently I've drilled 3in down the center of the shaft, dead center? I want to go another 1.5inchs so a longer drill reqd, 

Please Tip Dave can you advise what length the hole is for the wires down the gear stick?

PT

3 Rail Gear Shifter Pic1.JPG

3 Rail Gear Shifter modded for std OD Switch.JPG

Yes the wire comes out 10cm from the collar that the gear knob attached to. 😀

Is that hole that Peter has successfully drilled the only difference between an overdrive and non overdrive gearstick? I know someone (BW I think?) spent ages hunting for a replacement for a worn one. If they’re relatively easily adaptable from a standard one though that feels like info worth spreading around a bit!

10 minutes ago, johny said:

no other difference (apart from the knob of course) but not a job for the faint hearted as even that exit hole is drilled at an angle....

The threaded section on a non-od stick is 5/16 (I think from memory) and is a reduced diameter. But on the OD the thread is larger (probably UNF?)

But in all honesty, for most cars tehcolumn switch is a better option. Or if you want a gearknob type the "works rally " type are fantastic. Got on on my dolomite/toledo, much better to use than you may think.

1 hour ago, clive said:

The threaded section on a non-od stick is 5/16 (I think from memory) and is a reduced diameter

Indeed. I was actually rather confused as to where Peter found an OD-type gearstick without the hole.

1 hour ago, clive said:

for most cars tehcolumn switch is a better option.

Completely agree. Especially on a round-tail Spitfire. I tolerate my GT6's gearknob one only because it's what the factory fitted.

4 minutes ago, Josef said:

I also like the column switch, partly cause it feels like something that should be in Thunderbirds.

I've never driven a car with the switch on the column. However, I like the gear knob switch - seems more intuitive to me, rather than stuck amongst the lights and indicators.

Gully

34 minutes ago, Gully said:

I've never driven a car with the switch on the column. However, I like the gear knob switch - seems more intuitive to me, rather than stuck amongst the lights and indicators.

Gully

It completely removes the need to take one hand off the wheel; just drive along, hands on the wheel, and flick in and out of O/D. It makes more sense in town driving where you can stay in 3rd and just switch in and out as the traffic moves.

3 hours ago, NonMember said:

Indeed. I was actually rather confused as to where Peter found an OD-type gearstick without the hole

It was an old non Overdrive Spitfire gear lever which had the std wood gear knob fitted, so not only did I have to drill the 4mm hole down the shaft, I had to cut a short length of the smaller threaded section off the top and tap the nice chrome top of the outer part of the shaft for around 1.25in to take the later style OD heavy switched knob & locking sleeve/nut which also reqd two groves in part of this external thread to locate the gear knob.

Ref the exit lower inclined hole "simples" after measuring where the inner shaft hole stopped I drilled a 4mm cross hole into the shaft into the long hole, then using a dremmel cutting disc (worn down to 3/4in dia I tried grinding a radiused groove on the lower side of the cross hole, when the cutter started to cut sbove the hole I stopped cutting the groove and used a small worn grinding end in the dremmel to get the right radiused profile of the exit so as not to create a sharp area where the wires could be damaged & they just pushed out after being pushed down the inner shaft hole.

I had brought previously the normal column OD switch and modified column escutcheon/cover, but wasn't happy with the wires in the column lower steel sleeve/shroud as it was all very tight and I was worried the wires might get crimped/damaged so removed it all, anyway the daughter wanted the gear knob switch, as she had one on her earlier Sprint. Also we find the extra weight/mass of the OD gear knob makes for a nice gear change action, seems to give it added inertia. The column overdrive switch & installation felt very flimsy!

Any one this side of the world want an unused OD column switch and new OD column escutcheon?

• Like 2

I did a temporary fix a couple of years ago the same way PL using a length of 1.5in dia turned wood dowl but without the tell tale, I drilled around 2in down the lever at that time to pass the wires through, that old hole in the lever is covered by the new knobs lower chromed locking nut .

I had all the parts for the Triumph OD knob and spare time so did the permanent conversion (hopefully), anyway the daughter had said she preferred the Triumph Way! The only expense was the 150mm long 4mm drill $10.

10 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

the daughter had said she preferred the Triumph Way!

It's not the "Triumph way", it's the 1970s way. Nearly all cars with OD in the '70s adopted that same Lucas switch in the same gearknob. The "Triumph way" was a properly proportioned column stalk that you can operate with both hands on the wheel.

brought up with Rootes and column stalk was the normal  on the vans it was a dash mounted stalk and having fitted that on the vit6 i myself much prefer it to the 2000 with the gearknob switch i find its distracting as you have to make a hands on move to use it and then you sometimes have to glance to confirm is it .....in or out   

the stalk is a positive and handsfree flick with . both hands on the wheel 

Pete