Herald door gaps

Pdv

I have taken off and refitted both doors on my other herald and one fits really well but the other one juts out at the bottom rear.

It has been a while since last did the doors so tried to do some adjustment yesterday and have improved it but not as much as I would like.

I have a download of the Triumph body fitting guide which is not the best, struggle with the pictures.

Some simple steps to help would be very helpful.

Thanks 

Steve 

If I remember the guidelines from many years ago the door skin should be left loose, crimped over the frame but not welded and the frame 'twisted' until flush with the lower edge and the rear wing. Only then should it be welded. The tub may also have sagged slightly, resulting in the lower door sitting out too far compared to the top. It's a common enough thing to see on Heralds, you may be able to draw the tops of the b-posts inwards by use of ratchet straps but otherwise you just have to get the best profile you can by loosening the door catches and trial-fitting until it looks as good as it can get.

there is in /out adjustment of the hinge to the door , but its a case of line up bonnet/wing and B post , if theres a twist in the body or the door you wont cure the proud 

fit at the lower B post waist with the available adjustables 

do make sure you are not using oversized Bubble door seals  they should be a single open flip never a tube/bubble seal (as sold by so many )

take the seal off and look at the line up door to seal flange it may just be the seal it overloading the shut 

Pete

Hi Pete,

Unfortunately purchased the wrong door seals before I found out they were available elsewhere, but have to live with that, the nearside door shows that.

The picture of the nearside looks like a big gap in the middle which is not as bad as it looks. 

I will take the seals off  check and adjust the bonnet if needed and go from there.

Thanks 

Steve 20221116_164854.thumb.jpg.063106c191518a755362a1955caa4c8e.jpg20221116_164701.thumb.jpg.3b68db4a197fed6b0be5c91084d12ac7.jpg20221116_164854.thumb.jpg.063106c191518a755362a1955caa4c8e.jpg0

20221116_164854.thumb.jpg.063106c191518a755362a1955caa4c8e.jpg

what does it shut like with out the door seals fitted , on mine had wrong seals pushed the door out of line , last vitesse used a lump hammer 4x2 lined up then made good before painting, but agree rear wing does not look right in pics .

I was told by a bloke that worked on car bodywork for years to align doors/boots remove all catches & rubbers, make the door fit the hole (this quite often involved bits of wood & a jack / twisting things) when happy with gaps re fit catches & rubbers.

Cheers, Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The puzzling thing (to Me) is that the door appears to flush top and bottom?, almost as if the door had been re-skinned, or the lower part anyway?, and not profiled correctly. Unless the rear wing has receved damage at some point.

Pete

I would double check to see if the rear wings have been replaced, some of the reproduction rear wings where the incorrect shape, flat instead of slightly curved.

Can you compare the rear Wing shape/profile with another original Herald/Vitesse?

Here's a couple of images that show my Old Vitesse which had its original rear Wings and Door skins and shows the profile of Door and Rear wing

If the Repro rear wings with the incorrect shape/profile have been fitted you will struggle to get the doors to line up correctly I'm afraid

Gary

Door Fit.JPG

Rear Three Quarter View.jpg

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

reskinning  surely the replacement skin follows the contour of the carcass 

easy to bend a skin not so easy to bend the carcass 

Pete

Perhaps if there had been significant corrosion to the lower carcass? and a lot of cutting away required to repair. Then it would not be too hard to get the lower edge sufficiently out of alignment to make an issue?. Especially for anyone not versed in body repair. I don`t know, but it (IMV) is a possibility?.

I know when I did a lower part re-skin on mine, I cut away and replaced a substantial part of the carcass at the bottom which was badly corroded?. Which just reminded me I did not put any drain holes back!!🙄

Pete

and i think we ended up with 47.5"   between the top flanges of the B post  this dimension is not cast in stone its whatever is 

needed to aling the bottom of the door's proudness   you have to pull in more as it will spring back 

too much pull in can cause the wings to fall inwards and close the boot lit fit to a foul 

45" is a step too far  

bodytub.jpg