Trim Panel Vitesse MK II Boot Lid

Martin M

Hi, 

I bought such a trim panel some years ago. It was a reproduction. It measures a height of 175mm and is 975mm wide.

Plan was to mount it on the Estate tail gate of my 1360  Estate that I converted to Vitesse  MK II running gear. 
Unfortunately it is too big for the recess in the tail gate.

Could someone who has an original Vitesse MK II Panel  be so kind and measure that trim panel?

Thanks

Martin

• 3 weeks later...

From memory on the saloon the rear panel adds significant weight to the boot lid, with the already extra weight of the Estate rear hatch with the glass as well how do the rams perform or do you need an extra weetbix in the morning.

A friend here in Aus who rebuilt a Mk2 Vitesse used a cut to size extruded alloy panel , the only difference was the long grooves protruded out over, it looked the same. The studs were glued onto the back of the alloy panel with Silkaflex and they are still good after 20 years. 

I prefer the body differences on my My Mk1 Vitesse, compared to the Mk2, though do like the contrasting colour of the Mk2 boot panel, as to me it sets the rear end off.

I think may try to fit a simular colour of vinyl foil wrap in the boot indent, to simulate this, as cheap, easy to fit without alterations and can be removed easliy.

I know it's my car to do what I like, though interested on other folk views on "asthetics". What do you reckon?

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/01/2023 at 19:06, Martin M said:

Done.

Learning: should have followed the recommendations to use Sicaflex. All the trouble with studs, drilling holes, ….

Martin, a job well done. I now have all the parts to put my mk2 back to standard. To Sikaflex or drill? I'll have to cut the studs off the panel so I'll drill using the gasket as a template.

Iain 

• 2 weeks later...

Dry run fit and it nearly fits. Although I haven't taken off the old trim and lamp on my car the pitch of the boot fixing holes is 4.5" and I'll have to move the clearance hole for the lamp cable grommet. Small details that I can sort out by redrilling. I will have to seal the bracket/boot by using some Hylomar or similar? The two centre fixing holes for the correct ali trim seem to be the same as the one currently on the car so I might only have to drill holes for the two outer fixings. 

Iain 

IMG_20230208_121136.jpg

IMG_20230208_122425.jpg