Dropped a stainless washer

Paul H

you could be fine small parts dont seem to get picked up

how about drill the hole in the C hsg and screw in a magnetic drain plug   ,,,,,,,  but not very useful on most stainless 

although  some are magnetic   can you test on a spare waser ???

then how about a magnet on some net curtain wire dangle it through the aperture and go fishing ???

Pete

Just now, Pete Lewis said:

you could be fine small parts dont seem to get picked up

how about drill the hole in the C hsg and screw in a magnetic drain plug   ,,,,,,,  but not very useful on most stainless 

although  some are magnetic   can you test on a spare waser ???

then how about a magnet on some net curtain wire dangle it through the aperture and go fishing ???

Pete

Hi Pete the other washer was stainless and not picked up by the magnet , I was removing the heater diverter. The annoying thing is I’ve done it before when changing the clutch slave and the magnet worked . Is it best to remove the box ? 

Did exactly the same on my Vit years ago. It would probably have been ok left in situ, but I could'nt stop fretting about what if...

Being a steel washer I managed to drag it with a strong magnet up the side of the alloy bell housing and retreived it.

As Pete says, if stainless, magnet prob won't work.

i guess you could pull it part off and fiddle the offending washer out the gap saves removing completely  

make a gap while is still sits on the studs and go fishing with a bit of wire  might save some toil 

might even have enough telescope travel to same dropping the prop ?????

let us know 

Pete

11 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i guess you could pull it part off and fiddle the offending washer out the gap saves removing completely  

make a gap while is still sits on the studs and go fishing with a bit of wire  might save some toil 

might even have enough telescope travel to same dropping the prop ?????

let us know 

Pete

Thanks Pete . Will remove the washer one way or the other 

Paul

f you have a powerful vacuum cleaner, attach a small tube to it and tape it so there are no leaks. Put some mesh in the tube so it cannot get into the bag. (If here is a filter it will catch it).  Insert it whilst running. You could just be lucky an suck it out. I used to have 'Vacuum tweezers' for picking up small parts.

• Thanks 1

Is it a thin washer? Small or a penny type?

And is teh inside of the bellhousing a bit oily? 

If so I would expect the washer to just stick to the bellhousing. There is surpringingly little clearance between teh flywheel and bellhousing, but if the flywheel turns ok I wouldn't worry too much. 

why not get your hole saw and makea big hole in the bottom of the hsg. IE open up the dribble hole to 2"  it may let it escape 

give it a wash with thinners/brake cleaner  etc.   from the top apperture 

it wont be too oily as we have only recently rebuilt the gearbox

Pete

17 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

why not get your hole saw and makea big hole in the bottom of the hsg. IE open up the dribble hole to 2"  it may let it escape 

give it a wash with thinners/brake cleaner  etc.   from the top apperture 

it wont be too oily as we have only recently rebuilt the gearbox

Pete

Hi Pete , thanks for advice . The stainless washer has some magnetism after testing the other washer . I’ve taken a “super magnet” from my Milwaukee LED torch and glued it to the end of my magnetic wand and plan to test today . Now I know the camera picked up a clutch spring  I will be exploring further to try and locate 

Paul 

If you've got a super strong magnet,try getting as close as you can to bellhousing base- chances are its sitting at the bottom already. Drag your magnet slowly around the outside of b/housing. Listen very carefully. If you're lucky, you might hear a 'click' as the washer is attacted to the magnet thro the alloy. If so slowly 'drag' the magnet back up to the hole in the housing. Its worth a try.

Gav

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, trigolf said:

If you've got a super strong magnet,try getting as close as you can to bellhousing base- chances are its sitting at the bottom already. Drag your magnet slowly around the outside of b/housing. Listen very carefully. If you're lucky, you might hear a 'click' as the washer is attacted to the magnet thro the alloy. If so slowly 'drag' the magnet back up to the hole in the housing. Its worth a try.

Gav

Thanks Gav , certainly worth a try as I do have a powerful magnet though the washer is stainless with some magnetism 

Paul

• 1 month later...
44 minutes ago, ahebron said:

Did you get it out?
I shattered a gearbox and diff on Peugeot 405 after I lost a 11mm socket into the bellhousing 

No all attempts failed . Decided to leave . It’s a very light ( cheapo ) washer and hopefully it’s stuck on the oily bellhousing surface somewhere . I will continue to live dangerously 😱

Paul 

Although I’d be extremely annoyed with myself for dropping it in there, I don’t think it will do any harm.

My logic is based upon two of the laws of physics.

1 being centrifugal force, so it’s likely to get thrown away from the clutch assembly.

2 being gravity so after it’s ejected out towards the bell housing it’s likely to drop to the bottom of it.

If by any chance it was able to get lodged between the flywheel ring gear and the bell housing I reckon it would last about a millisecond.

I personally wouldn’t worry too much about it.

• Thanks 1