13/60 Door Switch Wire Colour

Josef

I'm in the middle of drawing up a coloured wiring diagram for the 13/60 (built Dec 1969) in preparation for refurbishing my loom. However I have found a mismatch between the colours I have on the car and those given in the wiring diagram. The loom has original tape wrapping so it's very unlikely it's been opened up before (and I know enough of the car's history to pretty much completely rule out the idea of the loom having been fully restored in the past, though it may possibly have been swapped). My door switches have purple / white wiring, and the WSM indicates brown / black. Purple base colour makes more sense as they are a switched component on a live feed similar to the horns. Anyone know anything about this / any 13/60 owners able to have a quick check? The wiring should be relatively easily visible under the dash. 

Haynes. Show (P)urple-(W)hite, for the Vitesse 1600. But the Earlier 12/60 Herald Manual Shows as (N-Brown) (U-Blue) on the 948cc T-C model. BUT (N-Brown) (B)lack on the later 1200. and for the 13/60. N/U (Brown/Blue)

image.thumb.png.7047f0f4e2d236817fa78c7c9e1690d3.png

The 1200 owner manual (1962 dated). Shows (Red)-(W)hite!!!!

Just to add to the confusion!.

Edit; I took a look at the Loom for my 13/60 earlier, as far as I can see it is probable that the door switch wires are Brown/Blue?. As the only other on that side of the loom is Brown/Blue, as on the 948?. The other "conclusion" would be that my 1971 13/60 had a 948 loom installed as O/E?.

image.png.f92858924e59efa32413b573e67d430f.png

Pete

That section of the loom Pete I think is the bit that connects to the courtesy light, the brown/blue being the power feed for the light. The purple/white in your photo should then run to the same place ish as all the wires that join to the rear loom on the LHS of the dash, and to a double bullet somewhere near the centre which then has a long single wire connected running to the RH door switch.

Definitive answer, at least as far as Mine is concerned would be that the door wiring is Purple/White?. Went looking for some clips for the Cill`s. and found this:-

image.png.111f8b92a351bd74bc9f27d3dfb6e01a.png

Which would suggest (to me) that the wiring loom would appear to be common to the Vitesse and 13/60`s?.

Pete

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Josef said:

The looms are definitely not the same.

Havent compared the two. But in theory?. There would be no reason to not use the same Loom? Apart from the Twin Headlights, Is there any difference between the 13/60 and Vitesse dimensionally that would preclude it, or in the instrumentation, beyond the possible odd "clock". I do know of later cars which fit the same loom through a range, just not using the outlets on the Lower Models.

Pete

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

Havent compared the two. But in theory?. There would be no reason to not use the same Loom? Apart from the Twin Headlights, Is there any difference between the 13/60 and Vitesse dimensionally that would preclude it, or in the instrumentation, beyond the possible odd "clock". I do know of later cars which fit the same loom through a range, just not using the outlets on the Lower Models.

Pete

If you can extend or adapt existing cables then there's no reason why not - I'm doing the same in my 13/60, converting from 13/60 dashboard to Vitesse dash with additional features. Long cables I just bind up, shorter ones I'll solder on an additional length, but the cars all have the same basic instruments and controls and the same colour of cables. Even something as simple as a double bullet connector, or a triple, gives an extra connection point. Plenty of spade or bullet connectors, a good soldering iron and quality insulating tape (or heat shrink) is all that's needed.

23 hours ago, PeteH said:

Pete

Well I know they’re not the same as I’ve just stripped a scrap Vitesse one for spare wire! Logically you’re right, Triumph could’ve commonised. But then the material costs to produce the Herald at least would’ve been higher (and it would’ve gained super luxurious fuses, can’t be having that!).

• Haha 1

I discovered / realised something else interesting earlier. The heater motor wiring is not part of the loom (so the colour code there is wrong too! Brown/white rather than white, though my collection of heater motors seem to have a mixed bag of wire colours). The switch-to-motor wire at least. I thought I’d gone crazy and cut something out of the loom for a moment, then I remembered that the heater was an optional extra so it sort of made sense.

If I’d realised before I’d taped up half the loom I would’ve added it in… Oh well.

To further "complicate" the issue. Haynes, show the wires from the heater switch to the Heater fan as Black (B) not Brown (N) on the Vitesse wiring Diag;. Fed from the supply to the Voltage stabiliser as (G) Green colour.

Whereas that wire on the 13/60, again Haynes, is unmarked for colour, but feeds from the Main switch White feed. With the take-off coming from the supply to the instrument voltage regulator.

A lack of consistancy across the various models and years would appear to be part of the "intrigue" of the ownership of Triumphs!!.

Pete