Will copper grease do the same job as dialectic electrical grease?

daverclasper

Think only very specific greases (silver based?) are actually conductive but on fixed electrical connections its not necessary as the main advantage is to stop the ingress of moisture/air and reduce corrosion. The grease will be moved out of the way as the connection is made so allowing good conductivity however the same is the case with a moving connection like the horn push so although I think a little is a good idea the track itself will still become exposed...

• Thanks 1

Grease used on electrical connections is pushed out of the way by the action of the connectors mating (think male-female Lucars, bullets etc. - the joint itself is 'gas tight'). Any grease is just going to ease assembly, and afterwards limit oxidation of the joint by preventing air and water ingress. It won't have any electrical effects unless the grease is conductive.

Vaseline is the easiest to clean off later and unproblematic. I used to use silicone grease, but it migrates and causes problems with some insulations, and of course paintwork... I've recently bought some of Lanocare's products which have the advantage of being OK on the skin, and rather nicer than petrochemical greases.

I wouldn't personally use copper grease on electrical connections, as it's formulated to prevent galling on threaded connections for easy dissassembly rather than for its electrical properties. None of the electrical system apart from the HT circuit is a high enough voltage to be concerned about esoteric electrical properties of grease like flashover resistance, so it would likely be fine, just not my idea of a proper application.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Iain T said:

Interesting posts, my horn pencil scrapes round the column brass disc. Can I smear copperslip round the ring in an attempt to minimise the noise? 

Iain 

My partner had a problem like this on an MGB. The solution was to polish the horn pencil and the ring so they were nice and smooth, and grease sparingly (probably vaseline, can't remember). No noise no more.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

only say this as one end is soldered  the other end has the longer brass brush to wear on the column ring  

The gap between the brass ring the back of my boss is bigger than with a standard boss. It's down to offsets in the die casting hence the need to have a spacer but perhaps it's pushing the plunger in too far so I'll add reducing the spacer length to the job list. 

Iain 

I had to replace the multi-way bullet connector for the dipped beam headlamps on my GT6 recently. I squirted the new (and existing) connectors with this spray to hopefully ward off corrosion for a little longer:

61ZZB+WBJsL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Gully
Spelling