Any advice ? Lack of power on steep hills

Paul H

I’ve travelled up to the Wirral from Suffolk in my Vitesse mk2. no issues and so far 400 miles ( went on Walled Towns Run today which takes in North Wales ) . Going up a crawler land , very steep hill on A55 Vitesse didn’t like it at all and as the pressure hit with the incline and she started to miss so had to drop to 2nd to get up . I’ve done this hill before with no real issues . Also noticed she slows down a lot on hills.  What are the possible causes ? I’ve got a spare set of plugs so will try them . Ignition is accuspark . I cleaned the plugs yesterday and the colour is ok maybe a tad rich though some of the plugs were oily and one of the gaps was bunged up with carbon . It’s as though I wasn’t running on all 6 

Paul 

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

one of the old problems with accuspark was the irregular spacing/indexing of the trigger magnets on the rotor

so timing was variable to each cylinder 

this was reported in  classic magazine  no idea if its verified 

but might explain the odd results across the 6 

Pete

That would have been true ever since the Accuspark was fitted. This is new, unless Paul tells us different.

16 minutes ago, JohnD said:

That would have been true ever since the Accuspark was fitted. This is new, unless Paul tells us different.

Yes this is new though it could have been progressive over the last year . In Suffolk we don’t have hills . The Accuspark has been in place for 4 years 

Paul 

2 minutes ago, johny said:

carb float levels all ok and working properly?

I haven’t had reason to check levels . When I purchased the car in 2016 I had the dreaded slivers and flooding , leaking gaskets , choke leaks . They are CDSE’s which were “reconditioned” though the only good bit was they were shiny and bright and supplied with 1 bent jet , different jet heights , and the float covers weren’t flat as they had been over cleaned , and when I eventually sorted the carbs I left well alone . I will check the sliding piston action  tomorrow and if ok will leave until I get back on Weds as don’t want to jinx the journey back . I am running a Huco which has been in place for at least 3 years  now and was installed as the mechanical pump was constantly playing up plus I find the engine easier to start with the Huco and the reassuring tic tic tic . When left for weeks she will start on second tug and when warm it’s every time 

Paul 

What plugs are you using and when was the last time you changed or inspected them? Its the cause of the oily plugs that also needs investigating. Does the engine use much oil? 

I have similar hill problems when I first bought my Vitesse and it was down to lack of fuel and running very lean. 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T
  • Thanks 1

Lack of power, missing when the car is inclined / going up hills, fuel tank in the boot of the car might be a clue ?  Dropping into second increases engine revs and therefore mechanical pumping rates.  Subsequently I've noted that you don't use one but even an Huco electric pump may have an electrical fault which only shows itself on an incline, perhaps its earthing ?  2nd gear / higher engine revs also provides 14v generated electricity - which might otherwise be a little low on voltage for your accuspark + Huco (+ electric fan ?).  Just a few thoughts.

And of course - resist the temptation to change more than one thing at a time .. ( electrics, HT electrics and ignition, carburettors, fuel pump & filter(s), fuel pick up pipe and feed from the tank and the carbs, etc).

Pete

Edited by Bfg
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for all the replies . Neg wire from coil goes to distributor 

The plugs were cleaned before yesterdays trip of 180 miles . Pic taken this morning . The lowest one is cyl 1 

IMG_0224.thumb.jpeg.d40ec10f6f89ae541fa285238df2d088.jpeg

As I have  spare set will change anyway 

Oil consumption is high 1 litre approx on 450 miles . Tootling around at home oil consumption is next to nothing . Could this be the underlying issue ? I get no rumbles on start up. 
Thanks for all your help 

Paul 

21 minutes ago, Paul H said:

Oil consumption is high 1 litre approx on 450 miles . Tootling around at home oil consumption is next to nothing . Could this be the underlying issue ? I get no rumbles on start up. 

Oil can only go one way (other than leaks of course) and thats burnt in cylinder due to out of spec rings, bores or valve guides. It should show as blue smoke but may only be visible to someone following you who should note exactly when and how it appears ie puffs, continuous etc. As suggested a full compression test will also be useful....

• Thanks 1

No, although good figures they dont give any indication of the condition of the components Ive listed that have an effect on oil loss...

However one thing at a time so the power loss, which I dont think is related to oil consumption, is the first thing to sort out👍

• Like 1

Just checked the carb pistons they move freely and drop with a clunk . The pistons do need a clean though. There is evidence of the rear carb flooding 

IMG_0225.thumb.jpeg.b9efabeb007c2b0362ec5bb50f03173b.jpeg

lots of crud in the filter before the carbs 

IMG_0226.thumb.jpeg.70f77e49a382743942f3026475f5d833.jpeg

Paul 

Edited by Paul H