Clutch Budgie Squeak!

Phil C

I managed to download a Vitesse parts book and found reference to it here. I assume it is the single bolt, dowel part No. 132872.

Searching with this part number on Canley's website, gives a substitution of Pt No. HB912 which a 3/8" x 1 1/2" bolt.

As standard, a 1 1/2" bolt will only have about 1/2" that is unthreaded and the engine back plate plus the bellhousing is more like 0.75", so a cut down 1 3/4" bolt might be more precise.

Ian

image.png.20722d495ade16b06c995bf4237ff7dc.png

Edited by Ian Foster
spelling
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Josef said:

if it’s important then Triumph would’ve written it down somewhere!

You’d think so eh? From the comments it would appear that quite a few of us are unaware of this. Looking closely at my back plate, the hole in question looks like it may once have been threaded. I was thinking may be the 3/8 dowel bolt fixed into the plate and remained there when removing the gearbox. This could explain it not being mentioned in the WSM?

• Like 1

No it's just a Triumphism! Why make it easy..... The hole was never threaded that would have cost money. Plus golden rule is mating thread depth must be at least 1/2 diameter of bolt/screw preferably full diameter. 

Iain 

Edited by Iain T

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would follow up having now successfully completed the RBRR.

The Vitesse didn't miss a beat covering 2148 miles of (almost) continuous running over 48 hours......and still no sound of a budgie 😊. So just to repeat my thanks to all who helped get the car back together in time.

I know it's a rival club but for anyone considering entering the next RBRR I would certainly encourage you to do so. Its a challenge but great fun.

Of course we had to contend with that horrendous Scottish weather of the Friday/Saturday which certainly added a little jeopardy to the occasion and took its toll with a number of retirees.

By contrast the sun was out at Lands End and most of Sunday was top down motoring. 😎

We also raised over £1200 for the Huntington's Disease Association and I think around £70,000 as group..... not bad for a bunch of old codgers in equally old cars!

rbrr1.JPG.165c359712fe7fb99f013f12b983e01e.JPG

The start is a glorious place. Wall to wall Triumph's of all models.

rbrr2.JPG.01a2715b0df766130dc806c0096a6683.JPG

After 13 hours driving through Friday night/ Saturday morning we enjoyed a full Scottish at JOG.

rbrr3.JPG.5f8fcb1ea5af0ff19be0a1bc81e85ecd.JPG

.....and another at Lands End some 24 hours later.

Edited by Phil C
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

You and the car made it, a great result! London-Peking next? 

As to the next rbrr it's on my must do list but I'll need a co-driver as none bar one of my friends are old car nuts and the one that is likes his 8 hours kip. Applications on a postcard please... 

Iain 

I did the RBRR in my Vitesse in 2012 but had to retire in Cornwall due to a snapped driveshaft and a 3 wheels on my wagon moment as the rear wheel detached with the brake drum still attached.

Tried again in 2014 in my Herald 13/60 and completed it with only 1 issue which turned out to be a fuel hose sucking in air. Changed at 3am in the rain in Aberdeen.

I wont be applying Iain as i think, done that, move on to something else..

Congrats to Phil and John for getting round.  First time i tried sleeping in a moving Vitesse convertible, and probably the last.

Steve

Edited by Steve P

2 hours ago, Steve P said:

Congrats to Phil and John for getting round.  First time i tried sleeping in a moving Vitesse convertible, and probably the last.

Numb bum and bad back after two days in a Vitesse or any of our Triumphs and baked beans are banned🌬️

Iain 

10 hours ago, Iain T said:

As to the next rbrr it's on my must do list

Definitely go for it Iain, you'll love it!

10 hours ago, Steve P said:

First time i tried sleeping in a moving Vitesse convertible, and probably the last.

Difficult agreed!

I have fitted heated MX5 seats which can recline about 45 degrees, a couple of soft pillows, ear plugs and an eye mask (for daylight sleeping).....but definitely no beans!  On the motorway sections it was just possible to sleep 😴 but elsewhere dozing/resting eyes was more likely.

• 1 month later...

As an addendum to Phil's original thread, I can confirm the apparently 'secret' or little known information that the Vitesse/GT6 rear engine plate and bellhousing should have a 3/8" dowel bolt at the 5 o'clock position.

Two engine plates and a bellhousing inspected at Chez Jones....and yes they have it.

My engine a gearbox separated today....and yes they have it as well.

Mine had a 5/16" bolt at that location so I'll be replacing it with a 3/8" dowel bolt when I reassemble. I'll also be replacing the pilot bearing as I could have worn unevenly if the bellhousing was slightly off.

Every day is a school day!

Ian

Edited by Ian Foster

55 minutes ago, Ian Foster said:

My engine a gearbox separated today....and yes they have it as well.

Did you have any transmission vibration? If not you are lucky. As said previously my car was undriveable over 45/50mph until I fitted the magic 3/8 dowel bolt! 

Iain 

On 29/11/2023 at 16:03, Ian Foster said:

I'll also be replacing the pilot bearing as I could have worn unevenly if the bellhousing was slightly off.

Thanks for the useful info. Is that a sleeve/short tube in the bell housing, that accommodates the shank of the 3/8" dowel bolt?. 

Edited by daverclasper

51 minutes ago, daverclasper said:

Is that a sleeve/short tube in the bell housing, that accommodates the shank of the 3/8" dowel bolt?.

No its just a close tolerance hole in both the bellhousing and engine back plate.

By comparison the holes for the starter motor are standard clearance, so slightly bigger.

Ian