Rear parking sensors. Add to list off must haves?.

68vitesse

Recently on eBay saw some cheap parking sensor kits so decided to buy one and fit to my Vitesse, only used two of the four sensors, only extra hole was in the number plate/reversing light bracket.

Completely reversible except for the cost and time to fit.

Regards

Paul.

Edited by 68vitesse

27 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Fine until they stop working, then you're reversing back waiting for the beep and instead get a bump!

Or you're waiting for non existing sensors to beep with same result as you're other car has them.

Regards

Paul.

Edited by 68vitesse
  • Haha 2

I'm very pleased with the rear view cameras I've fitted to the TRansit.

Only door mirrors when I got it, I now have  a "rear view mirror", and one pointing down to the towing hitch.  Makes hitching up a doddle!
John

Edited by JohnD
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

fitted 4 sensors to the rear panel of the 2000  but it picks up the  bumper but goes crazy when youre close to a wall.

It supposed to that, Pete!

2 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

On the C5X you also get a generic arial view shows whats around you  and doors opening ...How do they do that

Pete

Find a sky diver video online. Lots of them wear cameras that show a view apparently from two metres above their head.  No idea how, but it's "routine"!

4 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

on the C5X you also get a generic arial view shows whats around you  and doors opening ...How do they do that

Pete

Out of genuine interest, does anyone know (and can explain) how this is achieved?

Paul

I believe the view is assembled by the brain using the images from the various cameras round the car. There must be some 'interpretation' involved and it would be interesting to play around with to show for example that it cant see things hidden behind others...

• Like 1

I`v had a little "play" with the system in SWMBO`s Nissan, There are 4 or 5 tiny camera`s front rear and in the Mirrors. It would appear the system computer then creates a virtual image using the camera inputs, It is surprisingly accurate too. It also has an audible proximity warning, useful if some idiot decides to walk behind just as your backing out!!. There is even a button that allows you to cycle through the camera`s, quite fascinating to "play with". I still reverse park using the mirrors though, Old habbits die hard!.

Pete

On 15/12/2023 at 03:52, JohnD said:

It supposed to that, Pete!

Find a sky diver video online. Lots of them wear cameras that show a view apparently from two metres above their head.  No idea how, but it's "routine"!

They use a 360 camera on a pole. The software in the camera eliminates the pole as it knows what it looks like and where it is in relation to the camera. Yopu can pan tilt and zoom with these cameras in the software and go from 360 to normal view. Also used a lot on motorbike videos. I have one I use at work for referencing locations before going to work in them

• 68vitesse changed the title to Rear parking sensors. Add to list off must haves?.

Sensors did not cure me from disengagng reverse whilst the car was still reversing when doing a hasty three point turn. Putting a tree branch through the rear tailgate window did. Now I have a car where the front sensors do not operate unless you have reversed. There is a button to turn them ON, but my wife has yet to use it and she never reverses into a parking slot. Neighbours have just replaced a hedge with a wall. Oh dear! (or is it "Oh dear, dear?")

When the Herald was introduced, much was made of the fact that you could determine the extremities of the car by the front headlamp cowls and the rear fins. It's actually one of the easier to park, much easier than the cars where the bonnet slopes outwards at the lower front so you have to guess.

Reversing the Freelander with the horse trailer on is always annoying as the sensors stay on permanently - they react to the trailer - so good use of the mirrors is essential.

13 hours ago, JohnD said:

Colin, that's where a rear view camera is useful.

True, but with many things it's on the 'long finger' and will be done..... eventually! If ever. I had the intention of fitting LED lights to the trailer so rewiring could include connection for a camera, but as it's working fine at present and getting cold outside.... I'll wimp out for a bit. A remote camera is a possibility, though? Now you've started a train of thought...

I don't think you need a 'remote' camera.    On the TRansit, my rear view cameras are mounted on the back of the van, one pointing down, one back.   The latter provides the 'rear view mirror'  and simplifies backing.     Yes, I suppose that like a reversing sensor, one on the trailer could ward against hitting the wall behind, but keeping the trailer straight when going backwards is a bigger task!

image.thumb.png.d9b8cfd4fde0d3b0242da815e22481d6.png

I have a similar system to John`s on the Motorhome. Dual camera unit, I can switch between seeing the tow ball when revesing up, to watching the following traffic and the towed car when driving. Wireless (WiFi) camera`s can be had for as little as £30 upward. Some are Portable (even magnetic) and can be transfered between equipment.

Pete.

Edited by PeteH