Not an owner....yet...

Hi all,

Been interested in Spits since I was little, as my father owned a Mk2 from new back in '65.  His pride & joy which he sadly sold to buy furniture when he bought a house!

As I'm approaching 50, I though it appropriate to start my mid-life crisis and give some serious though to indulging in a hobby I can really get on board with, so I'm researching all I can about Spit ownership.

I've always been a tinkerer, in part thanks to my dad & his love of cars, and my Granddad, who used to make parts for the Supermarine Spitfire.

So all going well, I hope to be looking out for a mk I/II/III this year that doesn't require chassis / body work, and be something I can happily maintain.

A bit grainy, but this is my Dad's Royal Blue Spit that got me interested.

Cheers,

Dave

spit2.jpg

spit1.jpg

Edited by Dave Howells

Yeah, nice to know it was still about 20 odd years ago.  Maybe someone still has it somewhere, though probably scrapped or shipped overseas as there’s no record in the motor insurance database.

it was definitely royal blue, don’t have had a registered colour change at some point.

Edited by Dave Howells

Hi Colin,

I'm SW Essex, and will absolutely get to a meet at some point, providing everyone looks away as I pull up in my....."EV"! 😬

As much as I love the sound of a nice GT6, the looks just don't do it for me.  A nice Mk 1/2/3 Spit with the removable hardtop is my goal, not really given much though or research into engines etc yet.

I'll likely budget around 10-12k for a nice example, which I would hope leaves me with little to do for now other than some light fettling.  Need to clear the garage of accumulated junk at some point, and broach the subject with the Mrs!  Also need to see what insurance costs are like too, as car insurance seems horrific this year, our EV insurance has practically doubled, and that's with 32 years of accident free driving.

I've noticed there seem to be two camps that the cars fall into, those that have had fully stripped back chassis that has been resprayed, or those that are covered in black porridge, which I assume to be Waxoyl?  Is one more desirable than the other?  Like the example pics below, in my mind, there could be all sorts of issues hiding under the black gunk, but I don't know enough about this.

Cheers

Dave

painted.png

waxoyl.png

Edited by Dave Howells

2 hours ago, Dave Howells said:

Also need to see what insurance costs are like too, as car insurance seems horrific this year, our EV insurance has practically doubled, and that's with 32 years of accident free driving.

My classic car insurance with Adrian Flux is £131 fully comp for my Sixfire (Spitfire 1500 with 2L conversion).

peter james is the clubs sponsored agent

used them for decades  and if you have agreed valuation the club will back up any headaches 

in December the multi car was £120 for the 2000 and £600 for the C5X thats unlimited and recover /breakdown /drive other members cars club cover 

up £80 from the previous year

8 hours ago, Dave Howells said:

I've noticed there seem to be two camps that the cars fall into, those that have had fully stripped back chassis that has been resprayed, or those that are covered in black porridge, which I assume to be Waxoyl?  Is one more desirable than the other?  Like the example pics below, in my mind, there could be all sorts of issues hiding under the black gunk, but I don't know enough about this.

Cheers

Dave

Underseal... hides a multitude of sins including old paint or rust. I'm not in favour of it bar possibly in wheelarches, but as you've found liberal application of the stuff often occurs... but you have no idea of what's under it. I had a Herald once that looked as if it had been completely dipped in it, halfway up the engine and over practically everything visible under the body or the bonnet. Hateful stuff to remove, too. 

engineos.JPG.f083572a235b46db56e8ba88f845abe5.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Whilst embarking on the mammoth task of clearing my garage of 20+ years of junk, I’ve come across a Mk3 Spit for sale for 6k, well under my budget, which would give a reasonable pot to spend on tinkering etc.

Its had a fair bit of maintenance work in recent years, and looks in decent nick.

However, it’s a bit of a trek from me for a quick visit to kick the tyres etc, but looking at the pictures I’ve a couple of questions I’d like some advice on.

Firstly, bonnet gap.  This looks quite large at the scuttle, and I’m wondering if it’s the result of bulkhead sag due to iffy sill & floor pan replacement, and whether it’s reasonably straight forward to correct.  The sills have the poor fit / gap at the door bottom I've seen on lots of Spits.

Secondly, are the windscreen pillars on a Mk3 supposed to be ‘split’ on both sides?  I know the rake is adjustable, but this looks odd to me.

Pics below.  Part of me says it’ll be okay, you wanted a project car, and my gut says keep looking for another Mk3.

IMG_0084.jpeg

IMG_0078.jpeg

Gaps on that bonnet look really good. The slight raise in centre in front of screen may be due to slight mis-alignment of the bonnet cones pushing the tops of the wings inwards.

Yes the screen frame is separate, and you can see the gap as the door seal and P-seal are not in place.

Happy to now be a proper member, just secured my Mk3 Spit & boost the Essex presence by +1 😁

Now just have to collect & plan the 240 mile drive home with it.  That could be a fun / interesting shakedown drive!

IMG_0083.thumb.jpeg.116316f9b1a0d6c0cf97c4e789211575.jpeg

• Like 1