Whistling sound

jagnut66

Hi,

Something I have noticed when I've run the engine recently is a whistling sound.

I did wonder if it might be the water pump but when I put my stethoscope on it the pump didn't sound that bad, just the usual 'running' sound you get anywhere in a running engine.

Could the fan belt be too tight?

I shall have to wait until the engine's cooled down again before I slacken that though.

While water pumps have been mentioned, can anyone recommend the best 'new' ones to buy, for when it does need replacing. Or are they all much the same in quality?

Best wishes,

Mike.

I had a nasty whistling sound on the Sixfire recently which turned out to be a split gasket on the front carb to manifold joint. It was a tiny tear but it initially had me very worried as it sounded as though it was caused by a bearing within the engine. The stethoscope method told me it wasn't and I also removed the fan belt to eliminate water pump and alternator as being possible causes.

fan belts are made with kevlar  and as the Vee wears the grip on the sides of the Vee change their grip and the hard wearing parts of the belt can make 

all sorts of squeals and metalic like  clatter .

there is a belt dressing caller belt ease in and aerosol  this quietens most belt noises 

they can be quite deceiving 

if you can use johns idea of wd40 or a rub with the dip stick (with care)  can disguise the noises , 

in the end you probably will need a new belt .

most spray treatments will soon revert to the creaky clatter

Talc powder works well and smells nicer....will make a mess

Pete

Edited by Pete Lewis

2 hours ago, Stratton Jimmer said:

had a nasty whistling sound on the Sixfire recently which turned out to be a split gasket on the front carb to manifold joint

I had the same front carb whistling but it turned out to be an incorrect heat insulator fitted with a notch cutout that was just exposed to atmosphere. For such a small aperture it made a loud whistle.

Iain

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Iain T said:

I had the same front carb whistling but it turned out to be an incorrect heat insulator fitted with a notch cutout that was just exposed to atmosphere. For such a small aperture it made a loud whistle.

Iain

A few quotes here sound like the start of a very rude joke that I can’t fully recall that that starts with ‘ what’s that whistling sound? and another -  something to do with where to place a stethoscope…

-incidentally, I’d be a wee bit careful  with a stethoscope round ones neck getting up close to rotating pulleys and  belts etc..

Posted (edited)

Hi, 

Time to put everyone out of their misery....

I oiled the fan belt and at the same time went in search of a carb air leak.

In this case the carb whistlers have won, see picture below. The two partially exposed holes in the gasket (either side of the air filter adapter and indicated by my 'pointer') are to blame, once covered / plugged the whistling stops.

For me this is better news than some of the other options, I simply need to make and fit a replacement gasket.

However, without the help of people on here i wouldn't have known what to look for, so many thanks to all.

The spots on the rocker cover, carb etc. are the residue from the plus gas I lubricated the belt with, easily wiped off I'm glad to say.

Best wishes,

Mike.

Heralds whistling air leak.JPG

Edited by jagnut66
additional text added

14 hours ago, Unkel Kunkel said:

I’d be a wee bit careful  with a stethoscope round ones neck getting up close to rotating pulleys and  belts etc..

I said I used the stethoscope method - actually a 10 inch socket set extension with one end on the block and the other by my ear.

Anyone who has used a stethoscope on a fractious child will have found that the earpieces can be pulled from the ears by a sharp tug!  It's a bit uncomfortable, but not dangerous.

John

6 hours ago, JohnD said:

Anyone who has used a stethoscope on a fractious child will have found that the earpieces can be pulled from the ears by a sharp tug!  It's a bit uncomfortable, but not dangerous.

John

My experience using a stethoscope to examine humans is limited to about fifty years or so, and I am aware that   it is very much less  holding it close to rotating machinery and that would  make me cautious.

I have a 'mechanic's stethoscope' but a broomstick held to the ear  and ti the offending part is just as good!

It wouldn't look good in the consulting room, though.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, JohnD said:

I think, Mike, that the air filter manifold is not original to that carburettor.

There are two holes in the carb flange that should be covered.

Quite right, allot of searching online led me to suitable manifold adapters, one for the SU carb itself, for which the inlet manifold had to be altered to suit as well.

And the other, as you noticed, for the air filter, which I had to fit 'inverted' so as to allow the air filter housing itself to sit under the bonnet without impacting on it.

Had I the space to fit it facing upwards the problem would not have occurred. C'est la vie.........

A new gasket is now fitted, which covers those two holes up.

SU vs Stromberg: I'll take an SU every time and I quite enjoyed the challenge of making it fit.

As an aside, the air filter housing itself is ex-Morris Marina.

Best wishes,

Mike.

10 hours ago, JohnD said:

The OE part was a pancake filter and housing that bolts straight onto the carb. 

Thanks John,

I've got an original type for the 1300 engine, I may look at that but for now I'll stick with what's in place, as my main priority is to get her mobile once more.

Best wishes,

Mike.