Updates on forum working party

Hello All

We had our first meeting last night via Zoom. The working party was brought together by Chris Gunby, TSSC chair, people involved are Aaron Tucker (Facebook Admin), John Davies, Aidan Tupper and myself - Graham Cartwright.

At the meeting people discussed the use of Facebook, the forum and the usage/ experience of other forums. A list of 29 points/thoughts raised by members in the "working party request" thread was presented with a further points added as the group made suggestion.

The outcome was a useful discussion and people who had not previous really met got to know each other.

The come of the meeting was for people to go away and review the listing to we can sort potential improvements and also visit a number of other car forums.

The aim of the working party is to improve the usage of the,  after 10 years of usage things changed over 10 year - peoples expectations are different, ensure that the forum and Facebook are being used to the advantage of the club. Can things be done better.

It is intended to add to this thread feedback and provide progress updates as we have meeting and ideas are formulated.

Thank you all.

Next meeting to be decided.

Working party

• Thanks 1

Graham,

Many thanks for the update.  I look forward to trying to implement any suggested changes.

Something I have been looking at independently is advertising - the IP Board software allows adverts to be inserted automatically as the Forum is used.  The advertising feature allows the adverts to be tailored to the various user types, so for example "Forum User" will get lots of adverts, especially ones that encourage them to join the TSSC, whist "TSSC Member" wont get the ones that encourage joining the TSSC, and maybe get a lot less other adverts - unless we are being paid by one of the big parts suppliers to put their adverts on the Forum.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Kevin, actually it was mentioned about advertising revenue and also membership joining prompts.

But early days, along road to travel. 

Poor Chris had 3 TSSC zoom meetings this week - COM, shop and then finally the forum. The club has another year of great change.

Graham

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Here's a post from an entirely different forum, it's the same software as our but it has ads. They're tailored to the site, I like them, maybe classic car ads are the way forward.

image.thumb.png.b4efa372f843ac2329221640826500b1.png

Doug

A total distraction. You don't know what's advert, what's someone's overlarge signature photo, or what's an actual genuine post. There are a few car forums like that, I don't go near them any more - it's just too annoying.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

You don't know what's advert, what's someone's overlarge signature photo

Yes I must do something about that, only the GT6s still come to EB.

If I change it I think it changes every instance? Which might be quite troublesome with 9000+ posts.

Doug

Boards that donthis ads thing are a bit spooky.  Depending on who they contract to advertise for, you see ads for the very things you have recently searched for elsewhere - from Google, eBay, or whatever.   It reinforces the 'They ARE watching you!' vibe.

John

Edited by JohnD
  • Thanks 1

Excuse me, could we avoid thread drift on this thread, ideally I would like it to keep it to forum update and any feedback on the forum.

Sorry to sound like Dad. 🤔

I will now go and push water up hill as I know you can't stop thread drift on this forum.

Graham

• Thanks 5