Oil change

Robin

Hi All

Think this may be a dumb question but here goes...

I need to do an on oil change but there's not enough room to get a spanner underneath on the drain plug with a drip tray in position so need to undo the plug from above. Problem is the spin on oil filter is in the way. So the question is can I remove the filter before draining the oil and if I do will I get oil pouring out everywhere?

Thanks

Robin

Put the front on ramps or jack it up? Or a lower oil tray. May be easier. Or once you have undone the plug a 1/4 turn, use your fingers.

Anyway, back to the question.You will get oil spillage from the filter, but no more than you would anyway.

Jack it until you get access to the nut, undo it until loose enough to turn by hand, then drop the car down again until all the oil has drained. Simples!

Yep - sounds pretty obvious when you see it written down!

Thanks Colinl

I bought a plastic oil drainer, cunningly engineered, dished on one side with a pluggable hole in the centre to collect the oil. Unfortunately there was no way to let the air out as the oil poured in and I now have a 6ft dia oil stain on my drive!

My brother has a foot pump device, you stick a tube down the dip stick hole and pump until no more oil comes out very effective and no mess.

I've had one of these for more than 30 years - http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/garage-essentials/bell-6-litre-oil-drainer-can

Never ever had a problem with it spilling over - but you do need to position it so that the spurt of oil you get when you first remove the plug sump plug, and the last residual drips all hit the collection surface.

Also, it's best used indoors in the garage with no breeze blowing through. If used out doors, then use it on a still wind free day - the last residual drips etc get blown about in the wind.

Before I got it, I used to use an old 5L container with one side cut out - great for capturing the oil, but not so easy to decant for disposal.

Yeh, that one's got three holes, one to let the oil in, one to let the air out and one to pour the oil away. Mine doesn't have the air hole, probably an early prototype! I've gone back to the old can with the side cut out.

A problem is that as soon as you have the plug out, a jet of oil spouts out, hits the chassis rail, splashes everywhere, and runs back ot forwards along the rail, making a mess.

My solution? 

A piece of folded cardboard, that sits over the rail, catches the flood and directs it down into the bucket, bowl or dolly bathtub (I stole it from my daughter, twenty years ago)

I hope this pic shows how the idea works.   Any old card will standup even to hot oil for long enough to do the job, and then is of course thrown away.

Cereal packets seem ideal!

JOhn

post-139-0-80370200-1464023270_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

A problem is that as soon as you have the plug out, a jet of oil spouts out, hits the chassis rail, splashes everywhere, and runs back ot forwards along the rail, making a mess.

My solution? 

A piece of folded cardboard, that sits over the rail, catches the flood and directs it down into the bucket, bowl or dolly bathtub (I stole it from my daughter, twenty years ago)

I hope this pic shows how the idea works.   Any old card will standup even to hot oil for long enough to do the job, and then is of course thrown away.

Cereal packets seem ideal!

JOhn

Great idea John

Of course you can just let the oil drip away gradually over the summer, then refill at the end of the season... :)

Hi Colin - actually I don't get too many drips from the engine but I have got an annoying drip from the overdrive and I have to top up about every 6 months. Any ideas? Robin

This is similar to my brother's pump, no spills or dribbles except when you take the filter off!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Bike-Boat-Engine-Oil-Fluid-Extractor-Pump-4Ltr-New-Removal-Lube-/290743010180?hash=item43b1a24384:g:s5AAAOSwDk5UJs~p

This is similar to my brother's pump, no spills or dribbles except when you take the filter off!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Bike-Boat-Engine-Oil-Fluid-Extractor-Pump-4Ltr-New-Removal-Lube-/290743010180?hash=item43b1a24384:g:s5AAAOSwDk5UJs~p

Doug - so does this actually work ok?

I use a extraction pump on a variety of applications (boat engines) and cars (including Scimitar, Land Rovers, Jeep, Mercedes).  However, it has never proved a great success on my GT6 due to a failure to find the hole that will take the pipe past the baffle plate to the bottom of the the sump.

I use a extraction pump on a variety of applications (boat engines) and cars (including Scimitar, Land Rovers, Jeep, Mercedes).  However, it has never proved a great success on my GT6 due to a failure to find the hole that will take the pipe past the baffle plate to the bottom of the the sump.

Hi Dick - good to know. So is it a case of fitting a thinner tube to get past the baffle plate?

the baffle gauze covers  quite fully the top of the sump to the oil below, there's a hole for the pump but doubt you would ever find it 

by fiddling,  

you just have  loosen the plug, to lean over the engine, from above unscrew with fingers, and if quick you can po the plug out and not 

get any oil on the pinkies

of course the alternative is drop the plug , pour oil over the hands fil the gloves and stain the drive if you dont have much claeance or faith  use a cheap grow bag tray , big enough to aim from anywhere and holds all  you need , then you pull it out , trip over the dog and back to square one 

Pete

Does GT6 mk3 have a baffle plate? I've had the sump off half a dozen times over the years and I don't remember it, but there's a lot I don't remember these days. :unsure: Canley's show it on Mk1s & 2s but not mk3s, maybe it's not seen because of the angle they've drawn the block and sump at? I'll let you know when I attempt an oil change with my brother's gizmo.

Hi All - my engine is from a Mk2 2000 (about '74). Would this also have a baffle plate? The suction pump certainly sounds easier but starting to think the conventional drain plug/drip tray route might be the way forward?