** ON TO THE NEXT BIT ** Nose to Tail - 1972 Spitfire MkIV restoration upgrades!!

As I remember it, one of the problems with the plumbing was that the pre-bent pipework supplied (as per engine and chassis numbers given to the supplier) never really appeared to marry up to the to the bends in the engine bay.  Pardon my ignorance on this, but which way does the water actually flow...

From left to right or right to left through the inlet manifold (pipe goes to thermostat housing)

and left to right or right to left through the pipe running under the inlet manifold (to the water pump)

I can plumb an entire house for water and central heating but not a car which has one connector at each end of the inlet manifold, a t-piece at the end of a pipe running under the inlet manifold in the engine bay, plus an inlet and outlet to the heater. Sad isn't it!!

On closer inspection it looks like I have 7 pipe ends and only 6 connector points, hence the fabricated t-pieces on both old and new photos in various places.  The pre-bent pipes look they will only fit in certain places so I will, with your help, go back to start and if one of you kind gents can help someone who is looking at an obvious answer... but can't see it, I will sort out what ever pipes fit and fabricate those that won't. 

So, in the photo I have numbered the 6 connection points, if one (or all of you) can give me a simply table (eg, 6 goes to 1, 4 goes to 2 etc) I can strip out the lot and re-plumb it all.

Sorry to be so thick... I blame it on the heat and lack of car plumbing expertise.

Spitfire Water Plumbing 02.jpg

2 hours ago, Badwolf said:

On closer inspection it looks like I have 7 pipe ends and only 6 connector points, hence the fabricated t-pieces on both old and new photos in various places. 

Yes, like I said in my last reply. This is because you have a mish-mash of bits - Herald engine, Spitfire return pipe, pre-Mk4 manifold.

The pre-bent pipes look they will only fit in certain places

The pre-bent pipes are designed to fit a standard set of bits, which is not what you have.

So, in the photo I have numbered the 6 connection points, if one (or all of you) can give me a simply table (eg, 6 goes to 1, 4 goes to 2 etc) I can strip out the lot and re-plumb it all.

Spitfire Water Plumbing 02.jpg

As I said before, you have two options here. In both cases, pipe 4 is fine as it is. Leave it alone.

Option 1 - with bypass as per late Spitfire

• Turn the T-piece round so that the branch currently connected to pipe 5 is connected to pipe 3 instead
  • Connect pipe 2 to the lower end of the T-piece
  • Connect pipe 5 to the upper end of the T-piece
  • Connect pipe 1 to pipe 6

Option 2 - without bypass as per Herald

• Remove the T-piece entirely
  • Connect pipe 3 to pipe 5
  • Fit a blanking plug to pipe 2

Option 1 probably fits the pre-formed hoses you have better. In both cases it's OK to swap pipes 5 and 6, giving:

Option 3 - as option 1 but reversed flow in heater

• Turn T-piece round to connect middle to pipe 3
  • Connect the long double-bend hose from pipe 5 to pipe 1
  • Connect the medium hose from pipe 6 to the upper end of the T-piece
  • Connect a short angled hose from pipe 2 to the lower end of the T-piece

Option 4 - as option 2 but reversed flow in heater

• Remove the T-piece
  • Connect the medium hose from pipe 6 to pipe 3
  • Blank off pipe 2

5 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Yes, like I said in my last reply. This is because you have a mish-mash of bits - Herald engine, Spitfire return pipe, pre-Mk4 manifold.

The pre-bent pipes are designed to fit a standard set of bits, which is not what you have.

As I said before, you have two options here. In both cases, pipe 4 is fine as it is. Leave it alone.

Option 1 - with bypass as per late Spitfire

• Turn the T-piece round so that the branch currently connected to pipe 5 is connected to pipe 3 instead
  • Connect pipe 2 to the lower end of the T-piece
  • Connect pipe 5 to the upper end of the T-piece

Option 2 - without bypass as per Herald

• Remove the T-piece entirely
  • Connect pipe 3 to pipe 5
  • Fit a blanking plug to pipe 2

Option 1 probably fits the pre-formed hoses you have better. In both cases it's OK to swap pipes 5 and 6, giving:

Option 3 - as option 1 but reversed flow in heater

• Turn T-piece round to connect middle to pipe 3
  • Connect the medium hose from pipe 6 to the upper end of the T-piece
  • Connect a short angled hose from pipe 2 to the lower end of the T-piece

Option 4 - as option 2 but reversed flow in heater

• Remove the T-piece
  • Connect the medium hose from pipe 6 to pipe 3
  • Blank off pipe 2

You're not a Committee, are you?

2 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

You're not a Committee, are you?

Yes, I are.

Errr....

My initial response, above, was to give my option 1 as the best fix. Somebody (possibly called Colin) then replied saying the T-piece needed to be removed, so I gave option 2 as the way to deal with the odd number of pipes that results in. In the process of trying to re-write those two options more clearly for BW, I realised that his labelling of the heater matrix pipes, giving the current direction of flow, doesn't match the plumbing on my Spitfire, so I offered the other two variants also.

BW,

If you don't like all the choice, option 3 is the one to go for. The Dolomite 1500 inlet manifold has that T-piece shape incorporated into the pipe, for an engine without the head tapping, like you have. It puts the heater valve on the outlet, not the inlet, of the heater but that doesn't cause a problem. The hoses reach slightly more easily.

• Like 1

NonMember/Colin.  Thank you both for your help.  It gives me a better idea of the best things to do.  I have stared and stared at this, compared it with photos taken of other cars, in fact the photo below does actually appear to be connected like mine is now.  Whether it works or not is anyone's guess. Every car I have seen appears to be different even Uncle Pete suggested that I connect a pipe and then goes on to say.."which you don't have". I will work through the alternatives and report back. It gives me a lot to go on and, believe me, I am very grateful for all the options.

I have just spent an entertaining hour trying to repair the remote door linkage (see previous comments). Still not managed it and feel like I've been trying to slit my wrist!!

Spitfire Plumbing 03.jpg

1 hour ago, Badwolf said:

in fact the photo below does actually appear to be connected like mine is now.

Spitfire Plumbing 03.jpg

I think, if you look closely, that's plumbed according to my option 1, although the return pipe behind the manifold looks to be a different shape to yours (lower down). Note also the integral T-piece on the manifold that I mentioned.

Ah.  Know I know what I'm looking at it fails into place. The return pipe does look to be at 45 degrees. Mine is a right angle, somewhat rusty and won't come loose from the fitting. I was going to replace it but thought discretion on this one might be more prudent. I will try to take the car out for a spin tomorrow and keep a sharp eye on the temperature gauge

New item for the honoured sages on the forum and I know what Doug will say before I even post this. "Buy the petrol,run the car, enjoy it and don't mess with things" - or words to that effect.

I was rummaging around on fleabay looking at spitfire stuff and found these

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/NO-LEADED-PETROL-NO-ADDITIVE-REQD-SPITFIRE-FUEL-CAT-ALYST-LASTS-10-YEARS-WORKS-/351602933867?nav=SEARCH

Snakeoil salesman...probably, but is there any science behind the claims. Did a search on the forum but couldn't find anything. Discuss!!!

14 minutes ago, Badwolf said:

. "Buy the petrol,run the car, enjoy it and don't mess with things"

Although I agree with the sentiment I can't claim originality. Sounds like a Lewisism to me.

A friend up the road has one of these things in each of his cars and says they really work. He is however an MGB owner and obviously has suspect judgement.

Doug

Found it by accident and wondered if anyone had come across them before and if there was any real 'science' behind them and if so, how they worked.., chemical reaction, molecule transfer, simply disolve to make the petrol go whiz bang better. Industry experts of long standing... over to you.

BW you're just trying to stir things up! :lol: There was a long and acrimonious argument on Club Triumph site a couple of years about this, went on for weeks. 

I don't believe it, but I'm sure JohnD can give us a full and detailed explaination.

db

It will work as well as a tigers tail tied on the filler neck

There are , were loads of crap alledged addative devices around, to stick in the tank or add to the fuel line

Chemically they cannot do anything   made to be bought as a must have... complete tosh

Pete  

Yes buy decent  97ron fuel    run car enjoy it dont mess with it  , dont know where that comes from

You know its about time we started to sell   lead memory   as all the castings have some , it will last for years

Unless you cut the seats  then is the time to add exh seats

How about The Lewis Lead Elixer Engine Revitaliser  in an empty bottle   !!!!

Could we make a fortune?????

As the "honoured sages" have said, that so-called "catalyst" is complete snake oil. It's a bit of scrap cable wrap worth 2p and of absolutely no use whatsoever. As one true expert chemist who actually analysed many such devices back in the day summarised his findings, "you'd be better off wrapping a dead chicken round the fuel line".

Thank you gents. Just what I expected but really curious.  If it hadn't been listed with Spitfire in the header, I wouldn't have found it.  I must try to find the post that Doug referred to. Sounds an interesting 'discussion'!

NonMember- I have just returned from a run out in the blazing sun with the heater on full blasting hot air out.  Well done and thanks for sorting out the plumbing for me.  I will now sort out some slightly less kinked pipes for a more permanent job.  The down side is that Spitty is now only running on three cylinders. No idea why, she was running perfectly the other week.  So plugs out, leads swapped, try the old disy cap... the usual things.... (sigh!!)

Ok. So I think the problem is solved. A piece of black insulation tape was missing.  What? you say. How does a piece of black tape cause the choke to stick?  If you look at the old picture of the engine at the bottom of the previous page, you will see the choke cable taped to the neck of the back carb. The tape had gone and the interior of the choke cable, instead of pushing the linkage back, was just lifting the outer sheath of the cable. o glad that I didn't start to twiddle with the mixture before I spotted it.

Ok, now back to the remote door linkage which is proving to be a nightmare... yet again, despite trying the ideas from Pete, Doug etc this is proving to be a bigger pain than ever.