GT6 Mk3 Window Channel

Mike T

Hi

I was trying to cure a rattling window on the passenger side door of my GT6 and so bought some new rubber/felt profile to put in the channel that guides the window when it is lowered. When I got into the door I discovered the channel was corroded at the bottom and it has actually broken away from the bottom bracket. I have attached a picture of the channel with the bracket placed in position.

I have not been able to source one, they are not available new and secondhand is proving difficult. Does anyone know if any other triumph models used the same channel. If not has anyone been able to modify one off another car to fit?

Thanks for any help

Mike

WIndow channel #2.JPG

Bill at rarebits4classics used sell the channel and felts 

You, buy  by the mtr and rivet your brackets on to suit  did the vitesse  with these

Be very carefull as the things reverse them selves when youre not concentrating

Dont know who sells it know bill has closed

nusedntomsell the 

Thanks for the comments - well some of them!

Looking at pictures on ebay the spitfire channels are very different which is surprising. Other than waiting for one to come up on ebay are there any suppliers of secondhand  GT6 parts out there who I could call?

Mike

23 hours ago, KevinR said:

They are unique to the GT6, certainly not common to the Spitfire.

The GT6 version part numbers are 710194 and 710195.

The spitfire ones are part numbers 709387 and 709388

That's interesting Kevin - can't quite understand why they wouldn't be common with the Mk IV or 1500 Spit. Maybe the larger glass ran at a slightly different angle?

Anyway, still reckon Spitfire Graveyard is Mike's best bet.

Gully

26 minutes ago, Gully said:

That's interesting Kevin - can't quite understand why they wouldn't be common with the Mk IV or 1500 Spit. Maybe the larger glass ran at a slightly different angle?

Anyway, still reckon Spitfire Graveyard is Mike's best bet.

Gully

The GT6 windows wind up and down in a very slightly curved channel - the left and right windows are different.

The left and right Spitfire windows are identical, and they wind up and down in a much wider channel that has a "bump" near the top to force the window tight against the soft top.  Just watch what a spitfire window does during the last inch of lift.

• Thanks 1

GT6 has the front quarterlight, Spitfires don't, so slightly different runners required to keep the glass aligned to the door. You can adjust one slightly by spacing it out with washers lower down inside the door.

Give Chic Doig a call, I'll be surprised if he doesn't have one.

New rubber channels can be bought from other Classic Car suppliers such as Minis Landrover or VW.

• 4 months later...
2 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

We'd be interested to know how you get on.

Doug

Modifying a Spitfire channel isn’t practical, it’s just too different. In the picture, left to right: GT6 N/S, MGBGT, GT6 O/S (knackered) and Spitfire. The MG channel is slightly larger and that’s a GT6 rubber in it. If MG glass is the same thickness, this could be an easy mod. The channel is on a smaller rad but I can change that. It’s the channel that’s the clever bit, if anyone has any other similar ones, let me know. 

F263D10A-4CCC-4841-AEBC-FB4E3F81F93A.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...