product descriptions

leon.halliwell

Why is there no product descriptions on the majority of parts for sale. i'm having a very hard time trying to figure out what i'm trying to buy!? for reference i'm looking for a plastic gearbox tunnel cover to replace the naff cardboard one in my spit mkIV but i'm sure ill try and purchase more stuff as time goes on and hit the same headaches.

I am a bit confused by this. Putting "spitfire gearbox tunnel" into google produces them.

Maybe what you really need is a parts book? Often searching by part number can be easier and gets around the issue of not knowing what something is actually called.  "Vitesse Steve" has all these in PDF format on his site. Worth mentioning parts diagrams can be extremely helpful in working out how things fit together, or what other parts you are missing.

http://vitessesteve.co.uk/PartsManuals

• Thanks 1

Clive is right. The best way is to know the part number. 

If you can find your way around the parts diagrams then Canley Classics is a good source for the part numbers as well as the site Clive mentions 

Once you know the part number google it with "triumph" in front of it and you will get multiple sources for the part

Aidan 

sorry i should have been more clear in my original post, i know the exact part i need and have found them on all the standard parts dealers, what i was asking about is product descriptions on the club shop in general lacking, for example as you can see below. With no part number attached, is this a gearbox tunnel or is it a leather cover which goes over a tunnel? its more about the general online shopping experience, i can happily ring the shop and clear up any confusion but if this needs to be done every time i want something from the shop or new visitors to the shop could be turned away by it.

P.S. I come in piece but am very confused amateur!

club shop example.jpg

Agree. That is a dreadful description. No part number, nowt.

Fingers crossed somebody will be able to explain what it is! But I bet it isn't leather. Hopefully a plastic (as opposed to fibreglass) tunnel. If it is the price seems reasonable...

Your wish is my command, oh great one.

The paper club shop catalogue has 3 Polythene tunnels GT6 £90, Herald £90 and Spitfire £80. They can be viewed on here, front page top RHD corner, on-line copy of the paper catalogue. Page 4 and 14.

What the leather item is I have no idea, certainly not in the catalogue. The on line shop has a lot of anomalies which I doubt will ever get fixed. I think the rugby shirts are still there, although no longer stocked.

Doug

• Haha 1

Good one Doug,  someone needs to ring the club to find out whats its all about , a shop manager might work

The tea over ere is wishy washy the coffee is mud , the suns missing  and  the wind      ...... is down to the fodder

Great fun but nice to be home if the boat dosnt sink, 8 hours of upsy downsy

Hope the snow in plymouth has cleared

Pete

It's a "tunnel cover" , not a "tunnel" isn't it? The other clue is that a leather tunnel would be pretty pointless, all floppy and hidden by your carpet. 

My rule of thumb is that if they can't be bothered to do a description then I can't be bothered to give them my business. 

Don't always assume cheap means not leather, leather is as cheap as chips these days, probably cheaper than good quality vinyl. Same in the fur trade with people buying cheap to be 'kind' and finding out it's real. 

On 3/20/2018 at 11:03 AM, dougbgt6 said:

think the rugby shirts are still there, although no longer stocked.

Why on earth would anyone want a rugby shirt, what's next, swimming trunks? 

Actually 'no longer stocked' answers my question. 

1 hour ago, ShaunW said:

It's a "tunnel cover" , not a "tunnel" isn't it? The other clue is that a leather tunnel would be pretty pointless, all floppy and hidden by your carpet. 

My rule of thumb is that if they can't be bothered to do a description then I can't be bothered to give them my business.

Shaun,

The club shop was started with the best of intentions ad still does some good deals, unfortunately the on-line shop is a mess, however the paper catalogue is still exact and to the point.

1 hour ago, ShaunW said:

Why on earth would anyone want a rugby shirt, what's next, swimming trunks? 

I have one of the club shop TSSC rugby shirts, good quality, good value, but along with other classic car suppliers TSSC have dropped their clothing lines. I also got an excellent rugby shirt in the Jaguar sale, good quality and dirt cheap.

I'm not sure why you're so inflamed, our club shop has some good stock, but unfortunately. it's in decline.

Doug

I agree Doug.

It only requires 1x person to take stock (excuse the pun) assess the situation and remedy the areas that require attention; that will be a big step forward and surely not beyond reach. I believe decline only occurs where there is lack of interest or a will to succeed. 

Like you, I have had excellent service from the club shop in the past and it is certainly worth holding on to. Addressing poor description(s) or stock issues is nothing more than an admin issue and that can / should be sorted as a matter of course.

Regards.

Richard.

Richard,

The club has lost it's computer guru and the shop manager both of whom were able to "work" the club shop software. Unfortunately, I don't think there's anybody left who can do it, and I suspect we would have to get a contractor in. That in turn invites a cost analysis, is it worth it when an electronic copy of the paper catalogue is available alongside the club shop on the site? Perhaps this has already been done?

Doug

My opinion for what its worth is that that Club Shop E commerce package is outdated and clunky and does the club no favours at all - Assuming the Club wanted an online presence the best approach would be to ditch and start again using a cloud based package like Shopify . These products are rented so no major setting up costs apart from time and are designed to be operated by personnel without  programming experience . 

I have no links to Shopify though I do have do have the T shirt 

Paul 

As a frequent on line shopper I agree it’s pants. I looked for something I knew was in the catalog but couldn’t find it. However that’s not a daming criticism because it’s a club shop and not a major retailer. As a noob and outsider looking in a guess it’s a simple question. Will an up to date site generate good extra income over what it takes to run ? 

I’m sure however many people would prefer to purchase from TSSC rather than giving money to the big boys. 

• 2 weeks later...

Now a little time and water has passed under the bridge an explanation might help put to bed some misconceptions.

The eshop is linked to the EPOS system I put in a few years back and as such every change to stock prices levels in the physical shop is replicated in the web shop ( as long as the flag is set to display a particular item) as it is one database. 

However, the training was rather lacking from the system suppliers and without realising it I set it up in shall we say not the best way. Not long before I "departed" I think is the safest term to use I was systematically going through the shop and getting things more logically laid out, if you look at the exhausts I think you will agree, however, I had to run the shop and lots of other mundane stuff as well so could not spend all my time on it without interruption.

There is nobody left who really understands it like I did now Chloe has gone on to better things as well, oh you didn't know there's a surprise!

Some of the parts like all the Newton Commercial parts were bulk loaded from a spreadsheet and would have taken me a while to sort. 

The search does work quite well and the less specific you are the better the results are likely to be.

Oh by the way the metal brake light switch, I introduced that about a year before I left ;-)