Herald 13/60 Fuel Pump Issue

Andrew P

Our Herald 13/60 has an intermittent problem with fuel flow stopping and the engine cutting out.

This was diagnosed as a faulty fuel pump. We went to Rimmer Bros and they supplied a universal replacement fuel pump. It had a different arm that slots into the engine and they said this was not an issue. Unfortunately it has been and after a couple of breakdowns the AA helped and the man kindly called an old friend who explained that there are a variety of different specific pumps across the range of Heralds depending upon the engine. Apparently the universal one can slip a bit and not pump as it should.

Can anyone advise what we can do. Is there anywhere where the original pump could maybe be refurbished - or a supplier that might have the correct one. Any help would be great. The car runs fine for hours and then just cuts out as the fuel is intermittently not going through the system. 

I have attached images of the original pump and the universal one - the significant difference being the arm.

Any advice much appreciated. Thank you.

Original Fuel Pump.jpg

Universal Fuel Pump.jpg

Hi Andrew I had similar issues with replacement pump and pretty sure it was the cam lever not lining up correctly - I ditched the replacement and purchased a refurb kit from Canleys . Heres a link   Its easy to do though the valves can prove more difficult to change - Most leave the original vales in place if they are still ok and function 

Hope this helps 

Paul 

Andrew,

Yes Paul is right. I had the same problem. The cam lever on the original pump will be right so what exactly is wrong with the rest of it? A refurb kit might fix it. Or maybe a rebuild of the new unit using the old cam lever.

Doug

I had a fuel pump failure and bought both a replacement pump and a refurb kit (car was in my parents' garage 100+ miles away, so couldn't check for specific issue). I left the pump body on the car and removed the top section only to find the diaphragm was somewhat porous - the straked in valves were fine, so I simply replaced the diaphragm, cleaned up and reassembled. Been fine ever since, so I still have the replacement on the shelf and don't know if the lever is a match. All that said (and the point I was getting around to!), is that I'm not sure what could cause an intermittent fault in one of these simple pumps. That suggests either a fuel line blockage, or maybe muck in the system affecting one of the non return valves if it is definitely a pump issue. I guess if it's a single carb set up, the float valve could also be an issue, but easily checked by taking off the fuel line and turning the engine over (which it sounds as though you have done).

Musings over!

Gully

Just replaced mine the other day with a Rimmer’s one. Seems ok so I hope I don’t have any problems. The box also had a thick spacer seal in it too but not sure for what engines. Mine didn’t currently have one so opted not to use it. Fingers crossed  :unsure:

the insulator spacer as far as triumph go is only used on the 1500 spitfire  this pump has a longer cam lever 

generally not very available now so replacements have a shorter lever and fit without the  spacer but need shorter studs fitting   in the block

or you need a lot of washers .

you  should not fit a long lever pump without a spacer , and you should not fit a short lever pump with a spacer 

Pete