Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

On 28/04/2020 at 11:08, JohnD said:

I'm lucky, I have a two-car garage.   One side has a pit, about the size of the above, but in my use it's not an advantage, except possibly for oil changes, as spills go down the pit, not all over the floor!

The rest of the time the pit is a problem.    I have two heavy wood covers for it, that lie flush with the floor.  They are quite safe for people to walk over and stand on, but I would neither raise the car with a jack on the cover, nor put an axle stand on them.   Point loading the wood like that invites collapse.   So I work on my car on the other side of the garage.    Anyone with space for only one car should ask themselves how they will raise the car, and how will they support it safely while they work underneath, if they have a pit.

I'd suggest that instead of the great expence of a pit, a set of four good axle stands, and a good trolley jack will be a better investment!

John

PS you also need to consider how you will get down into the pit!   Some modern GRP shells have steps, mine is in brick with vertical sides, so I made myself a ladder from 1" steel tubing, bolted to the side.

Garage pit ladder.jpg

Two car garage with pit timbers 50mm thick have used a trolley jack and axle stands many times.

Regards

Paul

IMG_20200501_161343.jpg

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

My pit hatches are also 1/2" thick, each backed by two 4x2" balks.

But you won't find me under a car supported on those!

I have no wish to earn a Darwin Award.

Don't think I would trust 1/2" timber either, or directly over a 4"x2", not enough meat there to my mind.

Regards

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

yes you can get inserts, the plastic backing rail might be a tight fit and the 'claw' can be opened out a bit they need to slide in the blade assy. but have to be fixed somewhere 

or they will fly off and escape

with all wipers to stop any judder or jumpy movement its important that the flip flop angles are same in both directions of sweep,  easy to get equal just use pliers or adjustable spanner to add some small twist in the arm so the  blade squeegee is  \*/  not   |* \    if you get the gist !!  

Pete 

2 minutes ago, poppyman said:

Being a daily driver Paula i would go for the Fleabay ones. Rubbers are fine for spares, you could order both and have a spare set for "just in case". And you would know how they fit. :) 

Tony.

Yeah.

if I screw it up I’m off the road! 

• Like 1

Hello!
As i'm sure i'll be whipping the gearbox out soon enough followed by a drive to Luton (to test the eyesight) I was thinking i should probably get some nuts and bolts to replace any I lose or that are corroded.

Is there a good set i could buy in a box? 

Are the ebay ones any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNF-Nut-Bolt-Washer-Assortment-High-Tensile-Full-Thread-Bolts-Zinc-1-4-5-16-3-8/152904746436?hash=item2399d545c4:g:VkQAAOSwJBdeSZah

1 hour ago, Paula said:

Hello!
As i'm sure i'll be whipping the gearbox out soon enough followed by a drive to Luton (to test the eyesight) I was thinking i should probably get some nuts and bolts to replace any I lose or that are corroded.

Is there a good set i could buy in a box? 

Are the ebay ones any good?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UNF-Nut-Bolt-Washer-Assortment-High-Tensile-Full-Thread-Bolts-Zinc-1-4-5-16-3-8/152904746436?hash=item2399d545c4:g:VkQAAOSwJBdeSZah

Paula,

Given Standard Triumph's patent Chassis Rot Attenuation Prevention system, which sprays and lubricates the front of the car underneath with oil, rotten bolts securing any of the power plant are most unlikely!      Unless you have dealt with it, he most likely will be missing gearbox cover screws.      I'd recommend getting a set of those and some Spire clips so that you don't have to rely on them screwing into the floor edge flange and bulkhead.

13 minutes ago, JohnD said:

Paula,

Given Standard Triumph's patent Chassis Rot Attenuation Prevention system, which sprays and lubricates the front of the car underneath with oil, rotten bolts securing any of the power plant are most unlikely!      Unless you have dealt with it, he most likely will be missing gearbox cover screws.      I'd recommend getting a set of those and some Spire clips so that you don't have to rely on them screwing into the floor edge flange and bulkhead.

I got these. 

image.jpg

2 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

BZP  bright zinc plated ....pretty normal 

many triumph ones do not want to be 'full threaded' some need a plain shank to aid location

wait till you arrive you can have a rumage through my stock of around 5000 

be pleased to loose some 

Pete

Excellent!

9 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

hope youre feeling strong the box is ....heavy   Ha !  all new ex ford obsolete stock   (not a ford fan but the bolts are good ) Ha!

I’ve been delivering food for the last month. I’ve never been so strong! 

• Like 1