Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

see what happens and then we can start ....head scratching 

was he running about right the day before you had difficulty starting ??

I was going to say mark a nut see how much it moves from before  but that idea is

................too late 

if you end up wit head off , leave plugs in and turn head upside dow  fill chamber with 

anything runny it will leak past the valves if the seats are not in good nick 

getting valves out is easy   small block of wood in the chamber sit the two valves on it

now witha socket over the top cup and collets  give the socket a good whack the collets will jump out and you can remove the spring and the valve drops out

get a cornflake packet with 12 holes  mark front or 1 to 12  so you know which valve came from where ,

you can reseat valves with grinding past and a battery drill preferably one you can reverse ,

you will need a spring compressor to refit the valve springs and collets 

Pete

• Thanks 1

I had a Toledo that would regularly refuse to start because it just kicked the starter out every time. It happens because the Bendix starters disengage as soon as the engine kicks, so if the first fire is weak the starter gives up. You need the engine to accelerate hard enough from a single fire that the next cylinder is pushed over compression on inertia alone.

Check that you haven't disturbed the choke linkage or pinched a fuel line. A weak mixture could well cause the symptoms you're seeing. Also check the manifolds are properly seated - any air leaks will also do it.

• Like 1

Still no go. 
I've come in as it's starting to rain. It was running fine before i went for a drive and got stuck in traffic. It was still running ok when i got home though. Maybe a little overheated. Then the next day it wouldn't start. 
It's almost like it would start with a push and then be fine after a few good revs, but that might be wishful thinking.
I'll charge up the batteries (i have a couple) and try again after he's had a night to think about it.
Such a shame, i want to see if the head is ok now. Maybe I warped it going for that drive.

youve not disturbed any HT or dizzy stuff??   check the points are opening witha gap

did you use Choke ?

stick a meter or small test bulb on coil  feed is it live when cranking ??

if you put a small bulb on the dizzy /coil terminal and earth it should wink as the points open when cranking 

Pete

I don't have any extra plugs. I think i need a new rotor. The old one was in a terrible state. I've changed the cap but don't have a rotor annoyingly. I've cleaned it up but it doesn't look good.
I've got a spark though. There's fuel getting to the carbs but I thought it was blocked until i blew it through. There was a bit of a pop as it cleared???
The carbs needed oil too. They were a bit sticky. Everywhere i've looked i think i've found the problem.
I'm running accuspark "points". 
I could pop over to Moss tomorrow morning and get a new rotor and plugs. I bet that'll do it.

11 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Paula,

You've re-torqued the head? If you have it's likely the tappet gaps are now wrong. So resetting the tappets would be a good idea. :)

Doug

Yeah, i did them. They were very close. Only had to adjust 4 of them.

make sure you get points and rotor for yours should be a Delco dizzy D202 or suchlike

glad you did the tappets I should have realised that its often forgotten but Doug got in 

Ive just phoned him and he reminded me of what i had forgotten  Ha !

also when you pull the choke does the thing actualy operate the carb barrier ??

ignor Doug he likes gauges not dimmmmm    bulbs  

Pete

13 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

make sure you get points and rotor for yours should be a Delco dizzy D202 or suchlike

glad you did the tappets I should have realised that its often forgotten but Doug got in 

Ive just phoned him and he reminded me of what i had forgotten  Ha !

also when you pull the choke does the thing actualy operate the carb barrier ??

ignor Doug he likes gauges not dimmmmm    bulbs  

Pete

I'll check the choke.

Moss don't have any BP6HS. Is there another option?

1 minute ago, Paula said:

I'll check the choke.

Moss don't have any BP6HS. Is there another option?

Just take them out and clean them Paula, then give them a few minutes in the oven to warm them up before you fit them.... It does make a bit of a difference if its a bit flooded with fuel.

Tony.

• Like 1

thats seems to be a short reach plug  not correct for the 6 cyl which needs a 3/4" reach plug 

do not get plugs with an R in the suffix   they seem to cork up our weak HT voltages 

6HS 

• Type: Projected centre electrode insulator
  • Thread Size: 14mm (9/16")
  • Hex Size: 20.8mm (13/16")
  • Reach: 9.5mm (3/8")  <<<<<<<<<<<
  • Thread Pitch: 1.25mm (1/16")

the normal would be BP6ES  

Details about NGK bp6es:
  • Threaddiameter: 14mm
  • Threadreach: 19mm  <<<<<<<<<<<
  • Seattype: flat
  • Hexsize: 21mm
  • Tipconfiguration: projected

12 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

thats seems to be a short reach plug  not correct for the 6 cyl which needs a 3/4" reach plug 

do not get plugs with an R in the suffix   they seem to cork up our weak HT voltages 

6HS 

• Type: Projected centre electrode insulator
  • Thread Size: 14mm (9/16")
  • Hex Size: 20.8mm (13/16")
  • Reach: 9.5mm (3/8")  <<<<<<<<<<<
  • Thread Pitch: 1.25mm (1/16")

the normal would be BP6ES  

Details about NGK bp6es:
  • Threaddiameter: 14mm
  • Threadreach: 19mm  <<<<<<<<<<<
  • Seattype: flat
  • Hexsize: 21mm
  • Tipconfiguration: projected

I have to say i was thinking that myself Pete, but not knowing a lot about the 1600 thought they might be different? I used to have the bp6hs in my sidevalve pop.

Tony.