Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

56 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

Ah, that could be the chap who once threatened to sue me for having beaten him to the idea (but not actually gone into business), thus demonstrating an impressive lack of understanding of IP law. He was at Stoneleigh many years back selling something very similar to a DIY unit I'd designed for my 2500S.

1 hour ago, Paula said:

I'm struggling to find the parts brochure now!

https://www.tssc.org.uk/tssc/uploaded_files/Shop Cat 2020.pdf

go to main club site  scroll to 'the club'    pdf on the top line of downloads 

easy to solve  get some Rainex  then you  dont need wipers 

https://www.google.com/search?q=rain+x+rain+repellent&rlz=1C1FGUR_enGB862GB862&oq=rainex&aqs=chrome.6.69i57j0i10i433i457j0i10l6.5975j1j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Pete

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

so lets ask why you wanted a intermittent in the first place 

pete

I didn’t really until a friend sent me the Wiperdwell unit. It would be nice though as my wipers struggle to park when the rain is light and often end up right across the screen.

I have looked at modifying the std Vitesse single speed square wiper motor to run slow and fast by modifying the internal wiring as per seperate web advice, but i want to try it on a spare motor and haven't got one yet to experiment on. I have a later GT6 style 3 position rotary switch for that purpose, this has also been modified for electric pump push contact use also.

Alternatively 'non member' with your obvious electrical knowledge can you see are there issues in wiring in the Quascar AS8093 variable speed controller with the later Gt6 3 position rotary switch which is normally, off, slow (fixed speed), normal speed, with the Vitesse ground-side switched wipers. So that the 3 position switch becomes off, intermittent variable, normal or fixed speed, keeping the ground sided switching operation.

Hoping you can help/advise any issues 

Regards PT 

9 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Alternatively 'non member' with your obvious electrical knowledge can you see are there issues in wiring in the Quascar AS8093 variable speed controller with the later Gt6 3 position rotary switch which is normally, off, slow (fixed speed), normal speed, with the Vitesse ground-side switched wipers. So that the 3 position switch becomes off, intermittent variable, normal or fixed speed, keeping the ground sided switching operation.

It ought to be possible. The Mk3 GT6 switch has four terminals because of the two-speed motor's different park mechanism, but I think that just means you have to ignore one of them. Connect the common to ground and the two feed terminals to the controller and the wiper motor as I described above. All my earlier comments apply, although it's possible the slow speed contact (which would become the intermittent) isn't connected when at fast speed (normal), which is the situation you really want. That's different from the lighting master switch.

Opened fine on my Mac, but when you say 'that's the unit at its' fastest' isn't that just the intermittent? Next step is wipers fully on? I don't know exactly how the replacement unit works but surely the point of intermittent is to slow the wipers down and not have them on all the time, and you have the normal operation option for heavier rain? Unless I'm barking up the wrong wiper, so to speak?

27 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

The GT6 has two wiper settings “scotch mist” and “slight drizzle” I need something to make them go FASTER!

Doug 

I had my wiper motor rebuilt last year which really improved things, but the biggest improvement I've made in years was new wiper blades - now they actually clean the glass. I suppose the old ones were almost 20 years old but it's still no excuse...

Have you considered changing the gear wheel, Doug? The smaller the sweep the faster they go... and the passenger doesn't really need to see out :)

29 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

The GT6 has two wiper settings “scotch mist” and “slight drizzle” I need something to make them go FASTER!

Doug 

Sounds like it is a tired motor. I have a good one in my spitfire, after swapping from a less-good one. Even a simple strip/clean/fresh grease may help.

I also use 10" wipers (proper Mini size) which help as less drag on the screen, and I don't miss the wider sweep.

59 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Opened fine on my Mac, but when you say 'that's the unit at its' fastest' isn't that just the intermittent? Next step is wipers fully on? I don't know exactly how the replacement unit works but surely the point of intermittent is to slow the wipers down and not have them on all the time, and you have the normal operation option for heavier rain? Unless I'm barking up the wrong wiper, so to speak?

The problem is when the unit is on it can only give you intermittent wipers at various intervals. The video shows it at the shortest interval. To get the wipers to run constant you need a 3 position switch:

Off.

Intermittent: through the unit.

On. Straight to earth.

you also need a switch to turn off power on/off to the unit or it will constantly be clicking away. Bit of a faff really. 

Just now, Colin Lindsay said:

Aha - so you ONLY have intermittent now? Not good. Can you adapt an old Herald light switch, which is three position but keeps the round knob?

Yeah. Exactly.

I could use a light switch (nonmember suggested this too) but you’d also need a separate switch to turn the unit on and off. As far as I can tell.