Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

Doug's pic:

wiperdwell1.PNG.5cb1148e4e3553ff5e8774cadcef0f6c.PNG

shows three (four?) condensors (the black cans), and two relays, one open and one enclosed.  Plus the rheostat on the control knob.    Everything's transisorised now, or software controlled.    I imagine that here the rheostat controlled how quickly a condensor charged up, until it reached a level that opened (or closed) one of the relays, and switched the wipers.   I couldn't say how that happened!

Paula's has four wires, so again I guess it's for two speeds?   And they are black, yellow, blue and green.     The 240V convention is that blue is the neutral wire, while green is an earth.  That uses brown as the 'live' wire, so Yellow?  While UK 12V convention is black for earth.

Red pigment is notoriously unstable, so could the Yellow wire be in fact Red?   And the 'instruction' sheet she has, for a three wire version, is confusing

90242B4B-9B75-49C4-AD2C-F422A7FE0695.jpeg

So some work with a nine volt battery, PP9 to limit the damage that might be caused, and a multimeter might work out which was what.    Negative to Black, positive to ?Yellow, what happens on Blue and Green as you adjust the knob?   You have nothing to lose, Paula!   

• Like 1

I just remembered I had this one on the shelf in the garage under the cobwebs and dust. This was a home-made kit bought quite a few years ago and possibly fitted to an MG Midget or an early Mini - I can't remember which long-gone car now but I think it dates from the mid-80s if not earlier. Interesting thing is that the earth cable is red (2nd from left), power is green/red going by the stub of the original loom but then black on the shared terminal, and the green cables control the speed with grey to the variable switch. What is there about these thingies that they require a red earth?

C21CFB1A-6962-436B-AE1A-FC793FDDFD4B_1_105_c.jpg.f787aa078026f1bbd7050dee5b40411b.jpg B582C0CD-970F-4F69-A469-AD464025A0E7_1_105_c.jpg.ce712d0a9c068ef32772c299b421d1e5.jpg AF5468B0-0593-4099-8F15-0286BDAD852F_1_105_c.jpg.917fa130e98bfb15cd007a85c06fe601.jpg

• Confused 1

I'm sorry, Paula!    I was abaoaut to suggest you posted on the Vintage Radio Net site https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36 where some real electrinics whizzes live.

But if you plan to transplant a modern one in there, even better!

JOhn

PS Your video required me to BUY a new Codec from Microsoft before I could watch it!    With apologies, I refgiused, on principal!

RED, to earth "suggests" it may be for a Positive Earth Vehicle?. Of which there where still some about at the time these where being produced?.

In fact where not the early Heralds Positive earth?

John D; Microsoft get worse by the day!. For years I had MS "office", now I would have to "rent" it! for an annual fee. (hence gone to "Open Office")

9 minutes ago, NonMember said:

That photo looks like one of the PCB tracks has been cut through - left hand edge with the adjustable spanner in the background.

Oooh! Eagle eyes! Now you've highlighted that, same area of the right-hand pic, closeup with thumb, shows a definite 'lump' but can't see exactly what.

1 hour ago, JohnD said:

I'm sorry, Paula!    I was abaoaut to suggest you posted on the Vintage Radio Net site https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=36 where some real electrinics whizzes live.

But if you plan to transplant a modern one in there, even better!

JOhn

PS Your video required me to BUY a new Codec from Microsoft before I could watch it!    With apologies, I refgiused, on principal!

Too right. It wasn’t worth the watch!

33 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Oooh! Eagle eyes! Now you've highlighted that, same area of the right-hand pic, closeup with thumb, shows a definite 'lump' but can't see exactly what.

That must have been me cutting the case open. That was done post giving up!