Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

Oposed piston Engines:- This:- Doxford, (Marine Engine).

ouryard_1

Sailed on many ships Engined with the later enclosed crankcase.

Or.

240px-Napier_Deltic_Engine.jpg

Napier Deltic. (York Railway Museum) Also used in Hunt Class Destroyers.

Hey Ho. "old git" time again

13 hours ago, PeteH said:

Hunt Class Destroyers.

Actually Hunt Class minesweepers/hunters not destroyers.  The Hunt's are GRP, but engines were originally used in the earlier Ton class 'sweepers which were wood.   The Deltics are now being replaced in the Hunt's.

Dick (another old sea dog/git) 

and the L60 two stroke tank engine was hush hush developed by (Commer) Tilling Stevens 

then passed on to Leyland for production ( one of those political not happy idea's)

done a search but cant get any facts on this and my friendly chief   TS3 diesel man  who has all the drawings has passed to the happy grounds 

Pete

They all tend to be noisier, you get one bang per rev, instead of every other rev. In terms of noise v size, I have (somewhere) the noisiest 0.6cc Model Aircraft engine which screams up to 20,000+ RPM, from the days when I competed in "Duration" flying. Vertical take off, 10 seconds, engine cut out, and then glide back to earth, longest flight time = winner.

Pete

on test the TS3 with up to 16 tons would return 16 to 24 mpg 

if you didnt peg the stop control it would start up when turning the flywheel to fit a new clutch 

1964  bhp 117   torque  310lbft rev limit 2450        (did rise to 125bhp but bad for emissions )

if there were no sparks out the exhaust on a dark night  your were'  not trying .

as apprentice i did many miles riding cab with a turbo charged test bed engine  3D215T

this boosted to something like 145bhp and the driver only had on ambition to pass the Midland red coaches on the M1 ,   

the twin axle trailer had some nasty tyre wear , i did a tape measure of the wheelbase and they were 

miles out of parallel . put it right gave him extra 15mph top speed  ...he thought i was magic 

Pete

I've been messing about with the wiper do dah. I've plugged it all up on the bench using a bulb instead of the wiper motor.

With the knob turned all the way down the bulb comes on every 2 seconds or so, all the way up and it's every 40 seconds.

I was expecting it to be constantly on when it was all the way down to give constant wiping.

Have i missed something?

Am i making sense?

Screenshot 2020-12-18 at 20.05.59.png

18 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the twin axle trailer had some nasty tyre wear , i did a tape measure of the wheelbase and they were 

miles out of parallel . put it right gave him extra 15mph top speed  ...he thought i was magic 

Blimey!

1 hour ago, Paula said:

I was expecting it to be constantly on when it was all the way down to give constant wiping.

Have i missed something?

I'm not entirely clear on the intent of the instructions, what with the description of the terminals on the wiper motor being mixed up. I think the "Main Track" terminal is actually the ground connection (which connects to the case) and the "Start/Park" terminal is the one that goes to the existing wiper switch. I'm assuming you did your test with the bulb between "Start/Park" (a.k.a. terminal 3 of the board) and +12V (terminal 6)?

If so, and if the "mode switch" turns the intermittent off completely, then a switch from terminal 3 to ground should safely turn the wipers on continuous. It may even be possible to use a two-stage switch (like the main light switch on the dashboard) to provide both functions, so that you get a nice "off-intermittent-continuous" pull switch.

However, I'd be able to say so with far more confidence if the documentation of the board was less vague and self contradictory, or if they included circuit diagrams with it.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Paula said:

These are the complete instructions.

Complete with a schematic diagram, which shows... that it wasn't designed for real world application. Oh dear.

The "mode" switch appears to be of very little use and should, I think, be replaced with a wire link. It selects between operating the relay with a short pulse or a 50% duty. Because the wipers have self-parking, you only need to get them started, then let them park by themselves. At very short periods the two modes are equally OK, but at long periods the 50% mode will give you three wipes then a gap, three wipes then a gap. That's just silly. Oh, they call it "Cycling on-off". It's still silly.

There is no "on-off" switch. At all. The design relies on the power being removed when you don't want intermittent wipers. But that requires the wipers to be top-side-switched (or at least, the "intermittent mode on" switch to be on the top side) whereas Vitesse wipers are ground-side switched. I suppose you could connect terminal 6 to +12V (the green "fused ignition" circuit, I think) and terminal 7 to the intermittent wiper switch (or first stage of a two-stage on). That would probably work as long as the circuit is isolated. And you'd need to wire the second stage of the switch to terminal 3 as I said above.

Also, if your master switch is like the headlight one, the relay will keep clicking when you're on full wipers. Probably harmless but annoying. It might be possible to pull a fast one by moving the second stage from T3 to T4&5 (wire link between them, remember) with the result that, when both switch feeds are grounded, the circuit is powered and the oscillator is latched "on", so that the relay drives the wipers continuously, except that you would need to swap D1 and R3 for that to work. And depending on the value of R3, it might get warm.

So, in short, I wouldn't have designed it that way.

5 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Complete with a schematic diagram, which shows... that it wasn't designed for real world application. Oh dear.

The "mode" switch appears to be of very little use and should, I think, be replaced with a wire link. It selects between operating the relay with a short pulse or a 50% duty. Because the wipers have self-parking, you only need to get them started, then let them park by themselves. At very short periods the two modes are equally OK, but at long periods the 50% mode will give you three wipes then a gap, three wipes then a gap. That's just silly. Oh, they call it "Cycling on-off". It's still silly.

There is no "on-off" switch. At all. The design relies on the power being removed when you don't want intermittent wipers. But that requires the wipers to be top-side-switched (or at least, the "intermittent mode on" switch to be on the top side) whereas Vitesse wipers are ground-side switched. I suppose you could connect terminal 6 to +12V (the green "fused ignition" circuit, I think) and terminal 7 to the intermittent wiper switch (or first stage of a two-stage on). That would probably work as long as the circuit is isolated. And you'd need to wire the second stage of the switch to terminal 3 as I said above.

Also, if your master switch is like the headlight one, the relay will keep clicking when you're on full wipers. Probably harmless but annoying. It might be possible to pull a fast one by moving the second stage from T3 to T4&5 (wire link between them, remember) with the result that, when both switch feeds are grounded, the circuit is powered and the oscillator is latched "on", so that the relay drives the wipers continuously, except that you would need to swap D1 and R3 for that to work. And depending on the value of R3, it might get warm.

So, in short, I wouldn't have designed it that way.

I tried to find the one in the club shop but it’s not there or hiding. What a faf.

I’ll play with your suggestions and see if I can blow it up.