Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

On 28/08/2022 at 20:21, Pete Lewis said:

youre lucky the nuts have not stripped  if and when you dive into heads off   look into buying washer faced nuts from mini spares (3/8 x24 UNF) and 

make sure the studs are clean threaded and not signs of streatch due to the high torque you applied  

the 1600 has a steel shim gasket  and it does need something like wellseal coating on the faces ( its the only one triumph say seal in the WSM ) 

keep us involved when you decide what to do 

Pete

These?

https://www.minispares.com/product/Classic/Engine/Cylinder_heads/Studs_bolts_nuts/CAM4545.aspx?100409&ReturnUrl=/search/classic/head nuts.aspx|Back to search

yes only the nuts    studs is triumph only  eg 1600 Engine : Canley Classics

tip using the washer faced nuts will put the nut a little further down the stud so clean threads are very important 

if you want  to stick to originals  canley sell heavy duty washers and nuts ( toughend nuts are a black oiled finish )

anything shiny will likely strip  a std bolt of 3/8unf takes 31lbft at a max so thay why the heads nuts are not ...normal ones 

Pete

the fire rings in the gasket have not made the same contact between 2 and 3  compared with elswhere

what the gasket looking like ????     with rag down the cam follower gallery and in the bores the steel needs a good shine up with 

some not too coarse wet and dry to remove all the black deposits back to shiney 

may need the studs out to make a good job 

agree that stud is finished  , they  can be costly   just replace any more like that one and you should be ok 

you should find the block end of the stud has a linear groove up the thread  this is to allow any trapped oil out as fitting studs if the hole is part filled 

can explode the block face   so   the small  groove is essential 

Pete

• Like 1

Although I cant find anything in the WSM is it worth checking the head with a straight edge and feelers? Plus while the heads off are you going to do anything with the valves?

Then of course youre also in an ideal situation to check TDC of number 1 piston compared to the pulley mark👍

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Paula said:

I wasn’t planning on doing anything apart from cleaning it up and a new gasket. 
Can anything be done about the waterways?

oh the thermostat didn’t have a hole or pin in it 

Small wire brush on a drill or screwdriver and give them a good reaming out, as far in / down as you can get. Make sure you flush any debris out when the system is reassembled. 

• Like 1

Ive read Paula that over torqued head bolts can pull up the metal surrounding their holes in the block. I find it hard to believe the resulting 'pimple' could stop the head going down flat on the block but it might be something worth checking. The recommendation is to run a larger drill in the holes to slightly countersink them to remove this possibility...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, johny said:

Ive read Paula that over torqued head bolts can pull up the metal surrounding their holes in the block. I find it hard to believe the resulting 'pimple' could stop the head going down flat on the block but it might be something worth checking. The recommendation is to run a larger drill in the holes to slightly countersink them to remove this possibility...

I'll check that with a flat edge.

17 minutes ago, johny said:

The recommendation is to run a larger drill in the holes to slightly countersink them to remove this possibility...

But not all the way down as that'll just remove the threads... :) (I had to reread that post of Johny's to understand what he meant!)

• Like 1

well the easy job is add a 3mm drilled hole in the stat  rim.

if you remove the studs and use a hard block to sand the face clean you will soon see if any hole has a raised periphery it will shine up before the main face 

things like a step drill/cone cutter are good for adding a shallow countersink to an exitisting hole 

and lots of other odd jobs 

3PCS Step Drill Bit Set High Speed Steel Titanium Coated Cone Drill Bits Hole Cutter Power Tools for DIY Plastic Wood Metal : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

51Mb+8jLsyL._SL1500_.jpg

2 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

well the easy job is add a 3mm drilled hole in the stat  rim.

if you remove the studs and use a hard block to sand the face clean you will soon see if any hole has a raised periphery it will shine up before the main face 

things like a step drill/cone cutter are good for adding a shallow countersink to an exitisting hole 

and lots of other odd jobs 

3PCS Step Drill Bit Set High Speed Steel Titanium Coated Cone Drill Bits Hole Cutter Power Tools for DIY Plastic Wood Metal : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

51Mb+8jLsyL._SL1500_.jpg

I have a new thermostat coming too.

I do have some step drills. That is slightly terrifying though!