Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

• 2 weeks later...

After a drive to Sainsbury’s (about 2 miles) Feargal decided to sick up 1ltr of coolant in the car park. 
I drove home with him overheating slightly and let him cool off.

I’ve topped him up and run him up (and beyond a bit) temperature and it all looks fine. The only wetness I can see is at The base of the radiator but that soon dried up and he’s all happy.

has the bottom drain plug got a pressure release valve on it? 

anything I should worry about?

image.jpg

the plug or tap is  just a simple plug or  a tap 

if the leak was from there  it may need a look see as to whats going on 

after a refill  its worth releasing the highest heater hose to let any air escape  with the engine running   dont pull it right off just enoughe to induce a 

leak or a fizz of trapped air 

thermostats dont like to be overheated if it tried to boil i would think about a replacement sometime  an 82c  must have a bleed hole /jiggle pin in its rim againr to let air escape 

when the stat is shut 

do check the seal on the rad cap is not all swollen or cracked 

Pete

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johny said:

Where did the coolant come from Paula? Presumably the bottle filled and overflowed so did you see a high temperature indication or did it happen after stopping?

I’m not sure where it came from. I just noticed the puddle after shopping. 
I should probably look how full the bottle is!

red  coolant ?????   what antifreeze are you using   OAT is pink  and should not be mixed in sysytems that previously had Glycol  ( Blue) 

there are glycol based REDs   from Comma and others   so hopefully you have one of those i wonder if some clown has upped the bonnet and given you a spill to worry about ???

the jiggle pin is just visible on this JP pic   but a 3mm  hole drilled in the rim will also work   without an air bleed the stat will air lock til it starts to open

many dont have this important little thingy

Picture of THERMOSTAT 82 DEGREES SER11(GTS101)

Pete