Hello from Paula and her Vitesse

Going back through my own comments, i've been here before.
I think the chain of events was all from me doing the head gasket and not bleeding the coolant properly. Then over filling the oil.

we there you go a quick Italian Tune up has solved the smoke and relief to the wallet .

next time you do an oil change check whats on the dip stick 

add 3.5 ltrs should give you the low oil level mark, add the last 1 ltr  should give you the full mark 

on my Vit6 the dipstick was miles out and overfilled by 2 ltrs if you used the high mark 

"wot you mean" it holds 6 Ltrs    

so a refill of 4.5 ltrs shoud not be less than the full line on the stick 

Pleased you have him sorted  time to go for a burn up then 

on the growling if he had ingested a load of oil or contaminated fuel  that can make em Growl a bit 

next time smell the smoke oil smells of oil    antifreeze smells of ....antifreeze  Ha ! 

gives a good clue where the headache is coming from 

Pete

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paula said:

OK compression test was 90 PSI almost exactly on each cylinder. Popped the cap off and hardly any wind at all coming out of it.

Glad its running better. Compression reading is low but the way its balanced could mean its just your gauge - need a way to calibrate it or check with another...

• Like 1

Curiouser and curiouser!   Certainly not rings, certainly not head gasket (phew!)

But defo, oil smoke.  Where from?   As Pete has suggested carb dash pots?   Else, has to be down the valve guides (check that little "filter" in the rocker cover, as he also says), or via the crank case vent system.     If that pressure regulating valve between the crankcase and the carbs is supposed to prevent excess crankcase gas being drawn into them at idle when the vacuum is greatest.    Has that stopped working?

John

I’m going for a big motorway drive tomorrow. 
my normal test route. Lots of traffic and a junction on the motorway.

Hopefully it will all be fine. I think I over filled it with oil when I added the STP stuff 

I have no idea if this pertains to your issues, however there was a period where folk where adding extra lubrication to the valve train, OK, if your car has valve seals in good condition. but if not, and Triumphs don`t, more oil gets down worn guides and exits as blue smoke.

Pete

If you didn't have the throttle wide open then the compression reading will be low. Effectively the cylinders are strangled of air unless at WOT. 

Good luck tomorrow, beware Greta's mob! 

Iain 

• Like 1

the Vit6 has a open vented tubular crankcase vent  in its fitting face to the block is a pack of perforated gauze plates 

its worth removing the two bolts ( down near the fuel pump) and clean the plates in case they are clogged 

the vent is a long bit of 1" metal pipe exits below the sump flange 

Pete

19 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

the Vit6 has a open vented tubular crankcase vent  in its fitting face to the block is a pack of perforated gauze plates 

its worth removing the two bolts ( down near the fuel pump) and clean the plates in case they are clogged 

Pete

Will do!

11 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

Pete

Wot?  Where?  I don't recognise what you describe, Pete.   Never, ever seen "a pack of perforated gauze plates" secured by "the two bolts ( down near the fuel pump)" and I've built a few 6 cylinders.   Was this some very early part?   But where?   There is n or opening that might be sealed by two bolts next to the fuel pump!

The crankcase, on every single Triumph 6 I've seen is vented via the rocker cover.

John

There ya go!. Every day`s a school day, obviously deleted on the 2 Litre Engine. Which shows a blanking plate instead, had me going for a while but I (SWMBO) had the early 2 Litre. Not the 1600

Pete

Hi Pete. I know this is the 1600, so maybe different volumes, than the 2 Litre?. By coincidence, I recently asked about the oil volume between upper and lower marks on the dipstick for the 2 Litre and the reply was that is was about a 3rd of a litre, which seems a big difference?.

Related to part of this post below

Thanks

On 05/02/2024 at 14:28, Pete Lewis said:

next time you do an oil change check whats on the dip stick 

add 3.5 ltrs should give you the low oil level mark, add the last 1 ltr  should give you the full mark 

dave this is just a way to see if the dipstick marks bore any resemblance to the sump specified capacity

having seen many a wrong dipstick over the years on many variety of engines 

when we got the Vit6 the stick would give you an extra 2 litres to the full mark ....hopelessly wrong 

and sump on 1600 and 2 ltr  mk1  is the same ,  

Pete